Ed Kennell

What have you done to your Wheel Horse today?

ebinmaine
29 minutes ago, WheelHorse520H said:

I didn’t realize the lettering was hand painted?! That’s impressive.

I like it too. 

Trina's done a couple of ours. 

Really adds a lot to the look. 

WheelHorse520H
21 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Really adds a lot to the look. 

That it does… it’s amazing how something so simple can make the rest of the machine look so nice.

• Like 1

WheelHorse520H
10 hours ago, johnnymag3 said:

I do not mow WET grass, so have no info on that

I am wondering about mowing on wet grass. I have always heard not to because it can rot the deck but if you do under coats and protective measures like that, is it still bad? Are there other reasons to not mow wet grass? I typically mow early in the morning when the dew is still on the ground because it helps with my allergies, then I just put a little effort to clean off some of the grass.

Andrew

Edited by WheelHorse520H

johnnymag3

Andrew...wet grass is sticky....it clumps...and it attaches itself to the underside of the deck. It is also a very ACIDIC . Have you seen the effect on the aluminum spindle housings?

Dry grass blows out faster and easier than wet lawn. The only real way to get the deck clean from the wet grass is to take it off the tractor each time and wash the underside. There is just no substitute for LABOR if you want to mow wet grass....Just my 2 cents from 62 years of being on the planet    :)…..Also my experience with those expensive housings !!

• Like 4

WheelHorse520H

Sorry, I forgot to specify, I usually mow with my Troy-Built push mower because I had no running tractors until this past Sunday. Thanks for the info @johnnymag3. I just never got a real reason even when I went on the Google machine. Thanks again. Now I will probably not mow wet grass because I like my money.

Andrew

• Like 3

Lee1977

The aluminum spindle housing need to be cleaned primed and painted to help protect them from the acid. The acid is going to be there if there has been a lot of rain even if the moisture has dried up.

I got a 42" deck with my 520 that had pitted housing look like they were almost trough,I painted them and will used them until there is not enough left.

• Like 2

SylvanLakeWH

Leaves round 1…

C6C26BCD-DCC2-46DA-B07C-BA02523164C8.jpeg

D7A16892-C127-47EF-9F8D-4E5188828384.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Excellent 1

Snoopy11
32 minutes ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

Leaves round 1…

Maybe I am missing something... but why is your blade bent down like that? :confusion-confused:

By the way, I just did that with hellhorse yesterday... should have taken pictures...

But, don't worry, when the time is right, and hellhorse is digging through 3-4 feet of leaves like a banshee... I will take pictures... :music-rockout:

Don

• Like 1

RandyLittrell
4 hours ago, johnnymag3 said:

Andrew...wet grass is sticky....it clumps...and it attaches itself to the underside of the deck. It is also a very ACIDIC . Have you seen the effect on the aluminum spindle housings?

Dry grass blows out faster and easier than wet lawn. The only real way to get the deck clean from the wet grass is to take it off the tractor each time and wash the underside. There is just no substitute for LABOR if you want to mow wet grass....Just my 2 cents from 62 years of being on the planet    :)…..Also my experience with those expensive housings !!

If you live in Missouri you will have to mow wet grass sometimes or it would be knee tall and still not dry. I admit to never cleaning under the deck other than scraping off the grass clumps when I sharpen the blades. My main mower is going on 15 years with no attention to the underside and no rust or spindle problems. Maybe I'm just lucky! But I've had a bad back for years and just can't get under it to clean it without help.

Randy

• Like 1

Gregor
48 minutes ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

Leaves round 1…

We haven't had a lot of leaves fall yet, but it seems around here there is very little fall color. Instead of the reds, yellows, and oranges, the leaves go from green to brown, and fall.

• Like 1

Oldskool

I found myself a snowblower last night.

More work for the horses,and less for me.

Although I don't think I have all the pieces yet to install it.

Any input from the seasoned users?

Do's? Don'ts?

20211012_190418.jpg

20211012_190528.jpg

• Like 3

SylvanLakeWH
38 minutes ago, Snoopy11 said:
1 hour ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

Maybe I am missing something... but why is your blade bent down like that? 

Brand new driveway. Put a pvc wear bar on and keeping blade at that angle and very light to reduce impact on drive… works like a charm…

• Like 2

Handy Don

@Oldskool

Nice find. 

I don't see the lifting bar or its flag. Needed to connect the tractor lift mechanism to the pin at the bottom rear of the blower cylinder.

Dirty for sure, but practically no rust and the auger looks straight and hardly worn.

image.png.ef000d07369b6397fa48c0d5cfc705c9.png

Flip the side panels so the leading edge is forward as a drift cutter and not to the side as they are now. May need to swap sides.

Good luck and enjoy!

Edited by Handy Don
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, Snoopy11 said:

Maybe I am missing something... but why is your blade bent down like that

21 minutes ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

Brand new driveway. Put a pvc wear bar on and keeping blade at that angle and very light to reduce impact on drive… works like a charm…

I keep the snow blades bent forward like that on both my machine and Trina's all winter.

I find that the snow rolls off to the side better and as stated there is much less aggressive digging on our dirt/stone driveway. 

• Like 4

Bill D
18 hours ago, johnnymag3 said:

Got Busy covering the bottom of  one of  the 48" SD.....Rubberized truck bed liner, over POR-15.....VERY DURABLE. Have this treatment on a 42" and its been good for 5 years now. The bed liner is very smooth, sheds grass nicely. I do not mow WET grass, so have no info on that

IMG_1408.JPG

IMG_1409.JPG

IMG_1410.JPG

IMG_1411.JPG

Nice.  Is that the spray on bed liner in the can that you can buy at Home Depot?  I may have to do this on my Bobcat deck.

• Like 1

johnnymag3

Its a Dupont Spray....Auto Parts store

• Like 1

Oldskool
5 hours ago, Handy Don said:

@Oldskool

Nice find. 

I don't see the lifting bar or its flag. Needed to connect the tractor lift mechanism to the pin at the bottom rear of the blower cylinder.

Dirty for sure, but practically no rust and the auger looks straight and hardly worn.

Flip the side panels so the leading edge is forward as a drift cutter and not to the side as they are now. May need to swap sides.

Good luck and enjoy!

Lift bar? Flag?

Please enlighten me.

I will try flipping those side panels. Thanks Don.

• Like 1

Wheelhorse#1
23 hours ago, WheelHorse520H said:

I didn’t realize the lettering was hand painted?! That’s impressive.

Thanks for the compliments on the hand painted lettering.However,I can’t lie.It was done with a black sharpie.

Trust me If I had painted with a brush it would looked like a blind person painted it and that would be a complement 😆

Edited by Wheelhorse#1
  • Haha 4

ebinmaine
9 minutes ago, Wheelhorse#1 said:

Thanks for the compliments on the hand painted lettering.However,I can’t lie.It was done with a black sharpie.

Trust me If I had painted with a brush it would looked like a blind person painted it😆

Paint pens work fairly well for an application like that too.   

• Like 3

Horse Newbie

6 hours ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

Brand new driveway.

I bet that cost a pretty penny...$$$

• Like 1

Handy Don
20 minutes ago, Oldskool said:

Lift bar? Flag?

Please enlighten me.

I will try flipping those side panels. Thanks Don.

Snowblowers lift by pushing forward on the bottom of the blower while it pivots around the front Attach-a-Matic to get the it off the ground by a few inches.

The lift bar and flag connect the "pushing" rockshaft in the tractor to the blower.

This is a thread that discussed making these things for one model (the lengths vary somewhat depending on tractor model and blower model).

The thread also has a link to this thread:

For a guy with your "parts" pile and skills, making one of these sets will be straightforward. :)

I will call your attention to the idea of making the rod on the flag a bit longer, leaving the lift bar pipe a bit shorter, and then using spacers or washers on that rod to adjust the lifting height.

Of course, you might want to just ask the PO if s/he still has them and could you pick them up!

The snowblower OMs in the file section show how to do the installs so search there using the model number of your blower!

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

WheelHorse520H
44 minutes ago, Wheelhorse#1 said:

However,I can’t lie.It was done with a black sharpie.

Got the job done, didn’t it? I never would have known.

• Like 2

Snoopy11
7 hours ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

6 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

I keep the snow blades bent forward like that on both my machine and Trina's all winter.

I find that the snow rolls off to the side better and as stated there is much less aggressive digging on our dirt/stone driveway. 

I wonder how good it would work on gravel? That is what I have...

Don

• Like 2

Oldskool
25 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

Snowblowers lift by pushing forward on the bottom of the blower while it pivots around the front Attach-a-Matic to get the it off the ground by a few inches.

The lift bar and flag connect the "pushing" rockshaft in the tractor to the blower.

This is a thread that discussed making these things for one model (the lengths vary somewhat depending on tractor model and blower model).

The thread also has a link to this thread:

For a guy with your "parts" pile and skills, making one of these sets will be straightforward. :)

I will call your attention to the idea of making the rod on the flag a bit longer, leaving the lift bar pipe a bit shorter, and then using spacers or washers on that rod to adjust the lifting height.

Of course, you might want to just ask the PO if s/he still has them and could you pick them up!

The snowblower OMs in the file section show how to do the installs so search there using the model number of your blower!

Thanks for the info Don. I will look into that thread.

The PO doesn't have it. They bought the house with some WH stuff in the barn.  They sold all but the blower. I think when they sold the tiller some blower stuff went with it, because I ended up with tiller items with the blower.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2