Ed Kennell

What have you done to your Wheel Horse today?

Handy Don

Inventive way to move mulch with a utility trailer. :eusa-clap:

Also I see the younger horse is on coffee break while the old guy is doing all the work!

• Haha 1

Jhook

Hoping to add this 520h to the collection. Havent seen it in person but its cheap enough to take a gamble on. The pros from what i see are:mostly complete, good looking tires, i believe a forward swept axle, and the seller has more than 1 horse in the photos which is always a plus. Cons would be that its a non runner but seller says it turns over at least. Let me know what you guys think of it 

Screenshot_20201221-180337_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20201221-180327_Facebook.jpg

• Like 2

WVHillbilly520H
16 minutes ago, Jhook said:

Hoping to add this 520h to the collection. Havent seen it in person but its cheap enough to take a gamble on. The pros from what i see are:mostly complete, good looking tires, i believe a forward swept axle, and the seller has more than 1 horse in the photos which is always a plus. Cons would be that its a non runner but seller says it turns over at least. Let me know what you guys think of it 

Definitely not the original muffler, other horse is a gear drive you could make a 520-8?, engine turns over , take a wrench pull the plug's checks for compression could be 1 or both cylinders broken rods bad valve seats usually the rear one next to steering wheel, look over wiring harness IDK why most people who leave them set out like that have already cobbled that up, not hard to fix but adds to your overall cost, yes swept forward axle and most likely gear reduction steering, depending on price you can always recoup from parts? Go for it.

• Like 4

Jeff-C175
On 12/19/2020 at 9:20 PM, Tractorhead said:

i use black fence Caps for that.

also working great and stay

I measured my axle and it looks like 1-3/8 give or take.

The 1-1/4 caps don't stretch that far, and the 1-1/2 are sorta loose.

I think I need to build it up a bit with some duct tape...

• Like 1

Jhook
24 minutes ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

Definitely not the original muffler, other horse is a gear drive you could make a 520-8?, engine turns over , take a wrench pull the plug's checks for compression could be 1 or both cylinders broken rods bad valve seats usually the rear one next to steering wheel, look over wiring harness IDK why most people who leave them set out like that have already cobbled that up, not hard to fix but adds to your overall cost, yes swept forward axle and most likely gear reduction steering, depending on price you can always recoup from parts? Go for it.

Will def do a compression test if i go and see it. I would keep it a hydro if i bought it. What catches my eye is 4 nice wheels and tires, that swept axle, and hopefully gear reduction steering. If the motor ended up being junk thats fine. But if i could get it running thats even better. What should compression numbers be on the 520 onan? Also whats the procedure? Both plugs out? Full throttle? I know bikes and jetskis need to be full throttle, never compression tested a tractor luckily i havent had anything but good runners yet. 

• Like 1

Jeff-C175

Wifey told me one of my tail lights was out.  Put a new bulb in, didn't work.  Pulled fender to replace the lamp assembly.

Noticed some 'wetness' along the bottom of the tank and thought, oh 5h1t, the tank is weeping!

Pulled the tank to find it was only water from the other night plowing.

Of course, when I pulled the tank, the 40 year old grommet at the bottom started leaking for real.  Ain't that always the way?

So I put in a new one, got her all back together, and now my lights work too.

My advice?  If you've never replaced that grommet at the bottom of the tank, do it SOONER, like NOW, because it WILL start leaking when you aren't paying attention and gasoline leaks are NO BUENO!

Edited by Jeff-C175
  • Like 5

953 nut
11 hours ago, Greentored said:

Is it normal for the hydros to really 'tug' the engine down when engaging the belt, more so when cold?

image.jpeg.f2758e899c4263d1df6f28aade3c20aa.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

WVHillbilly520H
12 minutes ago, Jhook said:

Will def do a compression test if i go and see it. I would keep it a hydro if i bought it. What catches my eye is 4 nice wheels and tires, that swept axle, and hopefully gear reduction steering. If the motor ended up being junk thats fine. But if i could get it running thats even better. What should compression numbers be on the 520 onan? Also whats the procedure? Both plugs out? Full throttle? I know bikes and jetskis need to be full throttle, never compression tested a tractor luckily i havent had anything but good runners yet. 

Anything 100 and above, less than that could be anything from stuck rings and loose valve seats or carbon hanging a valve, I would do one plug out at a time and do both throttle closed and open and record, just be warned that back one is tight to get to. I am an ONAN fan but the looks of that 1 don't get your hopes up go in with low expectations and hopefully it turns out better.

• Like 2

WHX??

Excellent advice Jeffrey.... last 520 I scored transmission was toasted but motor good. And ther is always the steering gear...rims ...etc that can be used on another tractor. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Jhook
35 minutes ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

Anything 100 and above, less than that could be anything from stuck rings and loose valve seats or carbon hanging a valve, I would do one plug out at a time and do both throttle closed and open and record, just be warned that back one is tight to get to. I am an ONAN fan but the looks of that 1 don't get your hopes up go in with low expectations and hopefully it turns out better.

Well worst case i will keep the axle and steering components and the rims and tires. Sell the hood and fenders and other parts and should make the money back if i buy it for what i want to pay. Will see what the seller says tomorrow if he gets back to me 

• Like 2

Jhook

Can anyone tell me off the top of their head what size this outermost pto pulley is? I believe its 1/2 inch wide but i need the diamter. The loader is buried in the snow currently and im wanting or order a new hydro pump and pulley but need to know the size so i can order the proper pulley for the new pump. If not i can measure it tomorrow evening possibly. Its on a 1968 charger 12 the one with the brown belt. 

Screenshot_20201221-202011_Gallery.jpg

• Like 1

adsm08

I took the engine back out, back apart, again, to get the ACR flyweight spring put back on correctly, and got the engine back in enough that I can try to start it. But I didn't have an oil pan gasket, so I siliconed it, and with the temps here right now that won't be dry enough for oil until some time tomorrow.

Hopefully it starts this time. It acted like it wanted to, before I ripped it all apart again, but it would hit the top of the compression stroke and slow down too much to kick over.

• Like 3

Greentored
2 hours ago, 953 nut said:

image.jpeg.f2758e899c4263d1df6f28aade3c20aa.jpeg

So you’re saying this IS normal, correct? 
Just wanted to be double sure. 🤣🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Lane Ranger
3 hours ago, Jeff-C175 said:

Wifey told me one of my tail lights was out.  Put a new bulb in, didn't work.  Pulled fender to replace the lamp assembly.

Noticed some 'wetness' along the bottom of the tank and thought, oh 5h1t, the tank is weeping!

Pulled the tank to find it was only water from the other night plowing.

Of course, when I pulled the tank, the 40 year old grommet at the bottom started leaking for real.  Ain't that always the way?

So I put in a new one, got her all back together, and now my lights work too.

My advice?  If you've never replaced that grommet at the bottom of the tank, do it SOONER, like NOW, because it WILL start leaking when you aren't paying attention and gasoline leaks are NO BUENO!

It’s a rule this happens with a Wheel Horse when dark, raining, snowing,  when the battery is five years old on its last legs, and when the switch fails!    Always an exciting time and a harried pace to repair! 

• Like 6

ebinmaine
6 hours ago, Lane Ranger said:

exciting time

I've been running Cinnamon Horse for almost 2 years. The only 2 times it has stopped were:

1. Way the @#$& down in the woods. 

2. While plowing snow ... IN THE ROAD as I was turning around..

:lol:

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Greentored
2 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

I've been running Cinnamon Horse for almost 2 years. The only 2 times it has stopped were:

1. Way the @#$& down in the woods. 

2. While plowing snow ... IN THE ROAD as I was turning around..

:lol:

The number of kicks it takes to start my old Harley is directly proportional to the number of people watching. 
That is a fact! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

ebinmaine
49 minutes ago, Greentored said:

The number of kicks it takes to start my old Harley is directly proportional to the number of people watching. 
That is a fact! 

Back around 97 or 98 I knew a guy that had one of those Honda Shadow Ace that was shaped and sounded like a Harley. 

He'd had a ton of Harleys over 30 years or whatever and got sick of trying to start them as you mentioned. 

Bought his Honda new. Sort of a greenish over white. Removed all the badging. Went to Daytona....

Him and a bunch of buddies were going to go out for a cruise so this skinny little old man goes over to his '70s Harley and kicks it about 37,428 times..

In between using every colorful word known to man and setting different buttons and switches 18 ways to Sunday and other people looking at it...

It finally started. 

The guy I knew walks over to his Honda and stands like 3 ft away, Ben's far forward as he can, holds his thumb and foerefinger like he's carrying the most delicate feather you could imagine and reaches over and twists his key. 

He wasn't sure if the old man was going to laugh, cry, or snot beat him into the asphalt. 

I heard that story several weeks after it happened and he was still laughing so hard about it he could barely keep his composure...

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Greentored

Back in the harder riding days, when someone busted my stones, i'd tell em  "Know why they made electric start and rear suspension? So the women could ride too!"

Cant deny that these days if the ol girl had electric start and rear suspension, i'd be much more likely to still ride a lot ha.

Ok, anyhow, back on subject...sorry:lol:

Edited by Greentored
  • Like 3

lynnmor
14 hours ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

I doesn't matter where you have the throttle, the governor will open the throttle plate far enough for a compression check, of course a high throttle setting will insure that does happen.  The rear plug can be easily reached using a very long extension with your 3/8" ratchet.  Some handheld compression testers will not fit into the tight space.  Removing both plugs would be a bit easier on the battery and starter, just be sure that the choke is open.  Onan says that compression below 75 warrants engine work.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

WVHillbilly520H
1 minute ago, lynnmor said:

I doesn't matter where you have the throttle, the governor will open the throttle plate far enough for a compression check, of course a high throttle setting will insure that does happen.  The rear plug can be easily reached using a very long extension with your 3/8" ratchet.  Some handheld compression testers will not fit into the tight space.  Removing both plugs would be a bit easier on the battery and starter, just be sure that the choke is open.  Onan says that compression below 75 warrants engine work.

Thank you sir, I was just trying to get him in the ballpark for a quick 1st time evaluation before he made up his mind to buy or not as the OP said the engine does not run now, I should have also mentioned to take a cheap spark tester along for checking that as well.

• Like 3

pfrederi
2 hours ago, whtractors24 said:

Assembled my new USA made lift table for the horses. No more working on the ground . 

52A216F2-18D0-40AD-9FB7-3C054F33FA9A.jpeg

Where did you get that beauty??

• Like 1

whtractors24
4 hours ago, pfrederi said:

Where did you get that beauty??

Handy lift . 

• Like 1

sparkie333
On 12/21/2020 at 9:49 AM, Lane Ranger said:

Old tires always look better with M. E. Miller Tire paint.  One or two coats on 60 year old tires will surprise even the most particular restorer to the quality look achieved !

The attached ag tire photo is of an original 1958 RJ tractor tire!

I have used it for years and highly recommend its use. 

746CDA6E-A4CE-4682-B954-D9F1F5404693.jpeg

image.jpg

Great color paint on that rim.  Please what color is the rim paint.