Ed Kennell

What have you done to your Wheel Horse today?

Tractorhead
4 hours ago, Greentored said:

Just want you snow plow guys to know I am living vicariously through you all.

30 years in upstate NY with no tractors, now suddenly a heavy Horse addict with capable machines and a nice blade........and living in North Carolina, where we MIGHT get 4-5" one or two times per winter.

When(if) that happens, rest assured I will probably plow my driveways, friends driveways, half the streets in the housing development and business park:lol: as the town usually tends to those last, if at all......

You will become a great neighborhood, as long as the neighbors don‘t want to plow themself..

But hey, could maybe end up in a Tractor race in the Snow who knows.. 😂

i wish you some Fun.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Lane Ranger
11 minutes ago, Reddart said:

Well, that was quite the learning curve. My first winter with the C101, actually my first winter as a homeowner (in a long time) as well. Called for 8-12”, actually snowed 24”. When I went to bed it just started, so there was nothing to plow then. Woke up to the 24”. I “should” have plowed at 1am, and then 5 am, then it might have been manageable. But I still got some seat time after shoveling a path down the driveway. 

5D9B724E-2650-4B3C-B45A-A67E58C80D8D.jpeg

keep at it you will get it done!

• Like 4

adsm08
4 hours ago, Reddart said:

Well, that was quite the learning curve. My first winter with the C101, actually my first winter as a homeowner (in a long time) as well. Called for 8-12”, actually snowed 24”. When I went to bed it just started, so there was nothing to plow then. Woke up to the 24”. I “should” have plowed at 1am, and then 5 am, then it might have been manageable. But I still got some seat time after shoveling a path down the driveway. 

5D9B724E-2650-4B3C-B45A-A67E58C80D8D.jpeg

Remember, take one full pass, then take partials. Don't use the whole blade width and you take less weight and can carry it farther. It will also make less mess.

Having the ability to tilt the blade helps too. I've plowed 3 times since 3 yesterday. My driveway is as wide as a normal two-lane road, and long, and I did the whole thing with a fixed blade.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

adsm08

I got the engine out of the JD110 and test fit it in the 855.

It would fit, but the oil drain on the Deere pan is in the wrong spot and hits the frame. Not a problem, the original pan is already off, I can just seal it up with some RTV for now while I get the original engine rebuilt, because I decided one thing during this snow storm.

Plowing with that 800 is for the birds. The transmission sucks, the implement lift sucks, and the plow itself sucks, all in comparison to my 855. I need to get her going again before the next snow.

• Like 2

Roger R
On 12/16/2020 at 9:49 PM, adsm08 said:

You are spot on.

Extremely fine gauge wires need to be soldered to keep a good connection, but anything 18 and up gets crimped. Even with smaller wires I usually fold them over double, crimp, then solder to secure it.

But solder joints are rigid and don't flex like the wire needs to.

Right.  Most problems with crimped connections result from use of the wrong crimping tool.  Most quality (T & B etc) terminal packaging will list the accepted tools for the job.  If crimps are used, do not skimp on the tool.  My T&B crimp pliers cost nearly $40 over 30 years ago, and I have never lost a crimp in 1000's of crimps over the years.

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

Maxwell-8
9 hours ago, Roger R said:

Right.  Most problems with crimped connections result from use of the wrong crimping tool.  Most quality (T & B etc) terminal packaging will list the accepted tools for the job.  If crimps are used, do not skimp on the tool.  My T&B crimp pliers cost nearly $40 over 30 years ago, and I have never lost a crimp in 1000's of crimps over the years.

I use crimp connectors but i always solder them up. Tin doesn't corrode. and you always have a firm connection, and I finish it of whit some shrink tube! Have had 0 problems.

peter lena

echris , hiding in plane site , on that new pulley , is the wide type pop off  grease seals , a hi temp grease refill will insure no more bearing noise or failure , pocket screwdriver , gently removes the seal , LEE1977, like your over axel rear hitch mount , did you buy it ,or make it ? looking for ideas for rear weight attachment, that angle steel would be nice , pete 

• Like 1

peter lena

maxwell 8, you want to save that patina ? do this (  if you want to  )  marvel mystery oil on a clean cloth , rub it in till dry ,and be amazed at the clean looking finish, wait a few days and do it again , you are feeding that starved and neglected paint , it will repel water like a wax job , without wax. I have also use this baseline oil rub , before a hand buffer wax job polish , makes the wax job much easier. this is just my own experience , do what ever you like , pete

• Like 2

peter lena

LANE RANGER  854,  brain fart , hiding in plane site was the answer to my tractor weight shelf , want to add a solid rear axel area bolt on point , how about just adding the factory  frame extension to the existing frame ? I could easily beef up existing frame hanger mount points , and that would make a very solid shelf. going to work on that idea , pete   

• Like 2

Greentored
17 hours ago, Lane Ranger said:

I had some starting issues with my B-80 yesterday.   I think I need to check out points and maybe replace points and condenser which have not been replaced for several years.  I had good spark and yet no fire in the motor.   I cleaned the center carb needle, bowl and changed the spark plug.  Still a no go so I  decided to reconfigure my snowplow plan for this season. 

Ao I had my snowplow all set up on the B-80 and decided to change it to my backup 854 Wheel Horse that I used last year.

I put my B-80's snowplow on the 854 but had to change the rear 3/4 inch hitch rod to the inner position used for short frame tractors.   I also had the short solid lift on the B-80  and I changed to the long solid lift piece on the 854 setup.   Took about an hour 0but it is done and ready for the next snowfall.

2A7FFA86-F1EF-473B-8D60-2AC4BCCF4405.jpeg

7D933A29-C331-4DC2-8105-3657B341EFD8.jpeg

YES!  Now I know what the long frame plow and mount I have will fit perfectly on-

the 701!!!!

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

KrazeyOlDave

No snow to play in yet (Marshall Michigan) but I have been tinkering with my pony. Painted up my wheels today.

4CB82A63-0A42-4E4F-8CEC-327E3428FFDE.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

KrazeyOlDave
2 hours ago, Greentored said:

YES!  Now I know what the long frame plow and mount I have will fit perfectly on-

the 701!!!!

Add an electric actuator to the back, if you’ve got that much mount sticking out...I used to have one on my pony before I went ape **** and built a FEL. And to be honest, I have 2 400lbs brand new ones for sale cheap. 

Edit: never mind, I thought you had it pivoting mid frame 🤦🏼‍♂️
You’d have to mount it in front.

Edited by KrazeyOlDave
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Lane Ranger
5 hours ago, peter lena said:

LANE RANGER  854,  brain fart , hiding in plane site was the answer to my tractor weight shelf , want to add a solid rear axel area bolt on point , how about just adding the factory  frame extension to the existing frame ? I could easily beef up existing frame hanger mount points , and that would make a very solid shelf. going to work on that idea , pete   

yes a second 3/4 rod on a long frame plow could be the way to secure an add on frame for rear weights Pete!  Use some angle iron and make frame to ride on outside of wheel horse long plow frame.  

6D1EDBD9-3ACF-41D0-A7EF-019B1D4CC6A9.jpeg

Edited by Lane Ranger
  • Like 3

Maxwell-8
7 hours ago, peter lena said:

maxwell 8, you want to save that patina ? do this (  if you want to  )  marvel mystery oil on a clean cloth , rub it in till dry ,and be amazed at the clean looking finish, wait a few days and do it again , you are feeding that starved and neglected paint , it will repel water like a wax job , without wax. I have also use this baseline oil rub , before a hand buffer wax job polish , makes the wax job much easier. this is just my own experience , do what ever you like , pete

Thanks! i am gone do that!

• Like 1

johnnymag3

FEED THE PAINT !!!!

adsm08
On 12/17/2020 at 7:58 AM, Greentored said:

Just want you snow plow guys to know I am living vicariously through you all.

30 years in upstate NY with no tractors, now suddenly a heavy Horse addict with capable machines and a nice blade........and living in North Carolina, where we MIGHT get 4-5" one or two times per winter.

When(if) that happens, rest assured I will probably plow my driveways, friends driveways, half the streets in the housing development and business park:lol: as the town usually tends to those last, if at all......

Next snow I am digging myself out and then going across town to clean up at the daycare. They opened three hours late because they couldn't get their lot plowed until 9:30.

• Like 1

Jhook

Few days of absense from me due to the winter weather here in ma. Me and another guy at work put in a straight 42 hour shift in the tow trucks between parking ban tows and recoveries. Was itching to try out the plow but didnt get the chance til today. Working great so far the 315 does good. I will continue in the morning and hopefully finish up my yard

Snapchat-471949240.jpg

20201218_194745.jpg

20201218_185019.jpg

• Like 4
  • Excellent 4

Ed Kennell
13 hours ago, peter lena said:

Just remember Pete...adding weight to an extended plow frame will counter balance the weight of the plow blade.  Could be a good or bad affect.    :confusion-confused:

• Like 1

tbear853

New here.  Was working on a new receiver hitch.  Love the pics here.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Ed Kennell
5 minutes ago, tbear853 said:

New here.  Was working on a new receiver hitch.  Love the pics here.

:text-welcomeconfetti:to the :rs:

• Like 2

Greentored

No snow to play in here in nc, but got both crank snouts fixed and engines running. Got the C165 I picked up a couple days ago up and running like a dream. 
My 1277 that ‘won’t take any timing’, pretty sure it’s a rod getting loose. Half a dozen rolling rocks later I’m about to have a 1677, stay tuned! 

31A743C3-CB66-4CDE-A4B1-A1001849FDA8.jpeg

CA9C783E-5E04-4C7D-8B28-59A5FBEDF2AF.jpeg

6136792B-A113-4FF5-895D-B9D43E50E930.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1
  • Heart 1