Ed Kennell

What have you done to your Wheel Horse today?

elcamino/wheelhorse

@Jeff-C175 my brother says the flux wire from HF is crap. I think he buys his from Northern.

Jeff-C175
53 minutes ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

@Jeff-C175 my brother says the flux wire from HF is crap. I think he buys his from Northern.

I've heard the same.  For what I'm doing right now I'm going to use it anyway (the spool that was in the box with the welder... which it does NOT say is included on the outside of the box by the way!

It's been a LONG time since I did any electric welding so I definitely need practice.  Reasonably OK at gas welding/brazing at one time.  It's NOT like riding a bicycle though!

I'm going around the garage now looking for stuff to practice on.

I've got a chipper/shredder that has a broken leg stand so I'm going to try that.  Might be a bit above this units capacity, it's a piece of 3/4" steel bent into a 'hoop'.  It's broken about a 1/4" from the body.  But a good candidate for practice... I can't make it worse!  :roll:

Edited by Jeff-C175
  • Like 1

rjg854

Changed the engine oil on the Raider and the C160 and greased them. Took the dozer blade, chains and weights off the C160 and swapped out the front wheels with the roller chains for turfs. Serviced the 42" RD mowing deck and now I'm ready for mowing season. Great day to be outside, soaking up the sun 😎

• Like 7

elcamino/wheelhorse

Decided after lunch to work on the herd . Worse part was getting them started except the c-120. Turn the key and it started like a charm. ( by the way I do not like champion plugs ) . Got to get replacements . Replaced air filters on the 310-8 ,416-8 . New to me 312-8 has a brand new filter. On the 312-8 replaced the gas cap and mount a mule drive. Put air in all tractors tires. Took the c-120 for a nice ride for about 1/2 hour.  Decided to use the 416-8 to move a big rock  so it would be easier to mow in that area, then pushed some brush and dirt around so I could say I did something. Came in sweating and smelly - got the look and she said "when are you going to take a shower " .  Next week will be oil changes and grease jobs for all.

• Like 6

Jeff-C175
23 hours ago, Jeff-C175 said:

Treasurer OK'd a cheap welder!  Picked up th HF Titanium 125 Flux unit.

Mower deck is apart for rehab and the rear mount points had the typical cracks so decided to start with those.  Worked GREAT! Hope they don't crack again...

Scraped and wire brushed the underside and coat of 'Rust Reformer'.  Applied a coat of Regal Red to the topside.

Pics later...

Here's the stuff I was working on all day, painting and playing with my new toy welder.  The chipper in the back had the broken legs.  That little machine did a WONDERFUL job fixing that!  Time will tell if the welds are as strong as they look.

image.png.218f7d160b923b33207fe4be16cda3b1.png

Here's what the noise I was hearing was, the idler bar was all worn and bad bushings, the idler rubbing on the deck.  I didn't expect to find the center pulley rubbing on the deck.  What started as a minor repair is turning into a full tilt rebuild!

image.png.32fdf5c32c35cec8192864e280e2bcb9.png

My meager welding skills, this is the left side of the leg support on the chipper.  It was cracked but still attached.

image.png.ceb62e8db9fe3aaa90dc91bfa8b4aa6c.png

And the right side was completely broken and floppin' in the breeze:

image.png.581d4abdb05d19c711e9d39a6170b96c.png

Pretty impressed with that little welder so far!

Edited by Jeff-C175
  • Like 4

iam206
9 hours ago, Jeff-C175 said:

I've heard the same.  For what I'm doing right now I'm going to use it anyway 

elcamino/wheelhorse is right.

The Wire that comes with the welder really is some horrible stuff.

Use it up on your practice stuff and switch over to some name brand wire when you want to fix something for real. it will be a night and day difference. 

I am not going to argue with the issue of weither or not the harbor freight  wire is strong enough for reliable repairs ect.. but just use your best judgement.

Once I got my mojo back with my harbor freight flux core welder I quickly scored a Holbart 135 runs both flux core or MIG and all on 110V . Sold the harbor freight for close to what I paid for it. I suggest that route for anybody learning to weld, or picking up where they left off years ago. 

Good luck on getting your feet wet again.

David.

• Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

Jeff-C175
2 hours ago, iam206 said:

name brand wire

What's your pick David?

The Hobart E71T-11 seems highly regarded.

I found a chart that explained the numbering system, but it didn't include the GS suffix.  What does the GS mean?

ebinmaine
9 hours ago, Jeff-C175 said:

What's your pick David?

I found a chart that explained the numbering system, but it didn't include the GS suffix.  What does the GS mean?

I have an old stick welder so my WIRE feed knowledge is limited....

I've read where quite a few folks use the HF welder with a Lincoln wire and have great results even on light commercial use. 

I'd have to imagine Hobart or Miller would also make Excellent choices. 

Edited by ebinmaine
Correct autocorrect Auto not correctness

ranger
3 hours ago, Jeff-C175 said:

What's your pick David?

I think the GS suffix stands for - Gasless - Single Pass - I may be wrong, but I believe this suffix means it’s really only suitable for ‘Single’ Pass runs up to around 3/16” thickness material. The E71T-11 is, I think, suitable for, ‘Single’ or ‘Multi Pass runs.

Doug.

squonk
10 hours ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

Many hours spent today on placement, fitment, scale and color variations for the new hood ornament... I think it’s perfect!!!

Peep...peep...peep...

23F86E7E-9B9D-472F-A8BF-F607467BB1C1.jpeg

86356C3F-6E70-40EC-A87A-4A20985F4736.jpeg

74F81B58-511E-422A-9DA9-7CB0E9509231.jpeg

Once it hardens, it will out last 2 generations!

• Excellent 1
  • Haha 5

953 nut
10 hours ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

Many hours spent today on placement, fitment, scale and color variations for the new hood ornament... I think it’s perfect!!!

Peep...peep...peep...

:text-coolphotos:               You should do a separate thread on this one of a kind customization of your tractor.            :ychain:

23F86E7E-9B9D-472F-A8BF-F607467BB1C1.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Jeff-C175
6 hours ago, Jeff-C175 said:

but it didn't include the GS suffix.  What does the GS mean?

2 hours ago, ranger said:

I think the GS suffix stands for - Gasless - Single Pass

After searching a bit I found (on the Lincoln Electric site) that the GS means :  General , Single Pass

It seems that it takes companies YEARS to get their wire evaluated by whomever does the evaluation so they invented this "General" class that basically means nothing.

It seems that with the -G you don't know what you're getting!

https://www.lincolnelectric.com/en-us/support/process-and-theory/Pages/fcaw-usability-designators.aspx

As stated earlier, the usability designators for flux-cored electrodes specify the requirements for polarity and general operating characteristics. These designators may be 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, G or GS. Each usability designation indicates a general grouping of electrodes that contain similar usability characteristics. The exceptions are the “G” and “GS” classifications, where usability characteristics may differ between similarly classified electrodes.  

The “G” stands for “general” classification. “GS” stands for general, “single” pass only applications. In both cases, it is general because not all of the particular requirements specified for the other designation classifications are specified for this classification. The intent for the general designation is to allow newly developed flux-cored electrodes that may differ in one way or another to all the other usability designations a way to still be classified according to the filler metal specification. This allows an electrode to be used right away, without having to wait potentially years for the filler metal specification to be revised to create a new usability designation.    

image.png.7441b3ecc50f6ba9c3e31ae4c46637cd.png

Edited by Jeff-C175

Horse Newbie
6 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

have an old stick welder so my wife feed knowledge is limited....

I feed my wife whatever she wants...:lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

ebinmaine
4 minutes ago, Horse Newbie said:

I feed my wife whatever she wants...:lol:

:ROTF:

Wife. Wire.

Autocorrect, Auto not correct,

That's just funny right there...

• Haha 5

Horse Newbie

I'm thinking about the Hobart 140 MIG Wire Welder...anybody have one ?... Any comments ?

20210405_110154.jpg

Oldskool

A little fresh red going on today.

20210405_115103.jpg

• Like 4
  • Excellent 4

a friend of mine has a Hobart 140 Handler, he loves it. i have used it a couple times and i think it works great.  if my mig ever dies that is the one i'd buy

1 hour ago, Horse Newbie said:

I'm thinking about the Hobart 140 MIG Wire Welder...anybody have one ?... Any comments ?

20210405_110154.jpg

• Like 2

OldWorkHorse

Also picked up and installed a atv rack on the 314-8. Makes it alot more useful around the yard no especially when dnt need or want to hook a trailer up to it all the time. 

20210405_133446.jpg

• Like 7

squonk

What did I do to my WH Today? WANTED to repair the hood hinge on my C-160. Managed to accomplish it but not without a RANT! :ranting: I knew I wanted to use bushings as the hinges on the hood were knackered. Drilled those out.. Had a couple bushings in the drawer but I would have to cut them down. I decided to hit up some local stores to see If I could find any shorter. All the stores with the nice little drawer thingy's. All of them out of the size I wanted. All of them have been out of them for a long time. all of them the drawers are all mixed up so they have no idea what they are out of. All of them will be in the same condition in 6 month's

Went to Napa and bought a 675-1246 Dodge door pin and bushing kit for 8 bucks. It has 2 bushings the right size. 2 bushings too small so they go in the drawer. 2 e clips for the drawer and 2 pins for the scrap bucket. 5 stores until I got what I needed.

Went to install the new stainless hood pin I got from a member here. He cut the grooves for the clips wrong so I had to use the old pin that wasn't too far knackered

h2.jpg.0ebd80fdf3fc2a3cf9119d9d39e00e9b.jpg

h1.jpg.b65c0e28bb0f5e49e11cbca74470751c.jpg

H3.jpg.7bc1e463fbc3725295c688ae170c5252.jpg

h4.jpg.94cc9e67a10bf1314674f42c9541453a.jpg

Edited by squonk
  • Like 6

Handy Don

Oh I hate it when .59 and .79 get mixed up!

• Haha 4

pfrederi

Getting ready to put the snow horses to bed for the summer.  Did some straightening of the blower assisted by the New York Central Railroad..Father "borrowed" the wrench about 1930 when he worked at the West Albany Shops (stamped N.Y.C.L)...... Central is gone, Shops are gone Father is gone :(

IMG_0141.JPG

• Like 6

Oldskool
Just now, pfrederi said:

Getting ready to put the snow horses to bed for the summer.  Did some straightening of the blower assisted by the New York Central Railroad..Father "borrowed" the wrench about 1930 when he worked at the West Albany Shops (stamped N.Y.C.L)...... Central is gone, Shops are gone Father is gone :(

IMG_0141.JPG

😥The memories will always be there. Looks like he knew a quality tool when he saw it. 

• Like 1

D_Mac

Well I cleaned off the points and put a new spark plug on 875. Connected some jumper cables from my truck to the tractor. Hit the button and it spun around and around and nothing. Pulled the plug and cleaned the points again. Left the plug out to see if I was getting spark and no spark. Disappointed  so I turned my attention to the hot rod trailer. Put some fresh paint on it and decided I liked it not so fresh. Taking the tractor to a friend's for help. Keep you updated.

20210405_144506.jpg

20210405_144521.jpg

20210405_144545.jpg

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1