Ed Kennell

What have you done to your Wheel Horse today?

ebinmaine
25 minutes ago, Jhook said:

cant be the price of free

One of my favorite 4 letter words!!

• Like 5

Jhook

Girlfriend is catching on! Got me this sweatshirt for christmas. Hope every one had a good holiday and enjoy the long weekend👍

20201225_230034.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 5
  • Heart 2

DennisThornton
48 minutes ago, Jhook said:

Girlfriend is catching on! Got me this sweatshirt for christmas. Hope every one had a good holiday and enjoy the long weekend👍

20201225_230034.jpg

Can't say I've been a good judge, but you just may have a "Keeper"!

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 1

ebinmaine

Been working on Trina's Pigpen 867 a little the last month or so. 

The starter/generator has needed a bearing replaced for a looong time so I got that done. Replaced both bearings and cleaned it up some inside. Brushes were fine. 

Changed the engine oil. 

Last night I started adding a light circuit to it. Had headlights originally. 

I've ordered replacement sockets for the stock headlamp setup. 

I'll be adding some 3/4" white LEDs at the back and a small set off 2" round black LEDs at the front on magnetic bases that'll point out at forward left and right angles. 

IMG_20201225_153028422.jpg

IMG_20201225_143804997.jpg

IMG_20201225_143811822.jpg

IMG_20201225_143757379.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Heart 1

ebinmaine
52 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

Pulled the head on a non-running K301 I picked up a couple years ago.  Big reveal always wonder what the piston will be stamped.  STD .010 OK   .030 parts pile...Had to clean off some carbon for the big reveal  .003 cylinder wall looks good.  This one will get stripped down and off to the machine shop for bore and grind...

IMG_0152.JPG

IMG_0153.JPG

IMG_0150.JPG

Got that rare extra ventilated engine shroud Paul?

• Like 1

rjg854

Shroud is looking mighty rough, you gonna replace it or can you fix it?

• Like 1

pfrederi
6 minutes ago, rjg854 said:

Shroud is looking mighty rough, you gonna replace it or can you fix it?

Replace...Painting and body work are not my hobbies....:P  I only do things I enjoy

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Heart 1

pfrederi
24 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Got that rare extra ventilated engine shroud Paul?

As I said no body work...maybe some duct tape???

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Jhook

Well i tried to start the charger and bring it up to my driveway to install the subframe, but it wont start. I ran it after the snowstorm for about 20 mins and it ended up running out of fuel. It was running very rich making lots of black smoke for a few mins the other day. Now i filled the tank and it wont start at all. It fired a few times but never fully started and ive gone thru 2 fully charged batterys. I tried starting fluid too and it worked its way out the exhaust without starting. Is there a normal priming procedure after you run these out of fuel? Its a k301s engine. I will verify spark tomorrow but don't see why that would be an issue as i drove it the other day. 

• Like 1

pfrederi

If starting fluid is coming out the exhaust you have flooding issue or spark issue.  Pull the plug is it wet???

A charger could have one of three ignition systems which does yours have , Battery, Magneto or Breakerless

Edited by pfrederi

adsm08
On 2/17/2018 at 8:24 PM, 953 nut said:

:WRS:        Could be a wire came loose from the PTO or seat switch while traveling, Clean and tighten all the connections one at a time and it should be OK.        :text-coolphotos:

Over the summer my neighbor was using his XD series JD, turned a corner, and it died. We could jumper power to the starter and get it to start, but it would die as soon as you turned the blades on.

Stupid seat switch had plumb fallen out of the seat.

Jhook
39 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

If starting fluid is coming out the exhaust you have flooding issue or spark issue.  Pull the plug is it wet???

A charger could have one of three ignition systems which does yours have , Battery, Magneto or Breakerless

I am not sure which ignition system it has. I will get numbers off the engine tomorrow and follow up. Also with change the plug and throw an in line spark tester on it. I really didnt feel like taking the carb off it today it was getting dark so i just left it and will check everything tomorrow starting with the easy stuff. I know for a fact the machine does not charge the battery although that could be a ground issue. Dont know enough about these engines to dig into that issue yet. I just keep a charged battery on hand and itll start 5-10 times 

Maxwell-8
14 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Been working on Trina's Pigpen 867 a little the last month or so. 

The starter/generator has needed a bearing replaced for a looong time so I got that done. Replaced both bearings and cleaned it up some inside. Brushes were fine. 

Changed the engine oil. 

Last night I started adding a light circuit to it. Had headlights originally. 

I've ordered replacement sockets for the stock headlamp setup. 

I'll be adding some 3/4" white LEDs at the back and a small set off 2" round black LEDs at the front on magnetic bases that'll point out at forward left and right angles. 

IMG_20201225_143804997.jpg

IMG_20201225_143757379.jpg

That's how clamp-connections shoud be made! :greetings-clappingyellow::dance:

Edited by Maxwell-8
Correcting autocorrection
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ohiofarmer

Just like pfrederi, I pulled the head off my main worker. it had been running great, but i noticed that the spark plug did not want to thread back in. Bot wanting to risk cross thread, time to pull that head. The piston was stamped 235802. That is not a Kohler number. I tried to reference it ,and it probably is a standard size.

In my seat of the pants shade tree hillbilly bore evaluation, i used a thickness gauge, and it fit consistently around the piston from the top of the bore all the way down on all sides the same and top to bottom. That's without any disassembly

But that spark plug thread still needs to be chased, so we will be shut down for putting it back together. Anybody know the thread size for a spark plug tap?? Stens 750810 ??

Edited by ohiofarmer

Horse Newbie

Got my freshly powder coated wheels put on the 520 H today...new bearings and seals on front, two new front tires.

20201226_194330.jpg

20201226_194336.jpg

20201226_194349.jpg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 3

76c12091520h

Finished cleaning the overspray from the front tires and the rear wheel bolts for the 854. Front tires look absolutely like new, and whoever did the crappy rattle can paint job did me a huge favor because there was some perfectly preserved bolts under that cheap paint!

20201226_203118[1].jpg

20201226_203157[1].jpg

20201226_203213[1].jpg

20201226_203237[1].jpg

20201226_202927[1].jpg

• Like 6
  • Excellent 1

19richie66
16 hours ago, Jhook said:

Got the subframe built up for the charger loader today. This little harbor freight welder seems to do great with 3/16 thick tubing. I am still learning how to weld. Never been taught and the only time i gain experience is when i need to build or fix things. I think im doing it right lol 

20201226_124420.jpg

20201226_124401.jpg

20201226_124337.jpg

Looks good to me. Can that welder be converted to gas and solid wire? It would be much cleaner. 

• Like 3

ebinmaine
14 hours ago, ohiofarmer said:

Just like pfrederi, I pulled the head off my main worker. it had been running great, but i noticed that the spark plug did not want to thread back in. Bot wanting to risk cross thread, time to pull that head. The piston was stamped 235802. That is not a Kohler number. I tried to reference it ,and it probably is a standard size.

In my seat of the pants shade tree hillbilly bore evaluation, i used a thickness gauge, and it fit consistently around the piston from the top of the bore all the way down on all sides the same and top to bottom. That's without any disassembly

But that spark plug thread still needs to be chased, so we will be shut down for putting it back together. Anybody know the thread size for a spark plug tap?? Stens 750810 ??

14 MM??

WVHillbilly520H
19 hours ago, Jhook said:

Got the subframe built up for the charger loader today. This little harbor freight welder seems to do great with 3/16 thick tubing. I am still learning how to weld. Never been taught and the only time i gain experience is when i need to build or fix things. I think im doing it right lol 

20201226_124420.jpg

20201226_124401.jpg

20201226_124337.jpg

You are doing fine, a chipping hammer and wire brush would help clean those up, also if you did go with gas and used flux core wire the welder weld would be stronger than either style alone just a little tip for future reference.

• Like 4

cleat
28 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

14 MM??

Another good reason to have that 14mm tap on hand is that a lot of oxygen sensors use that same thread.

Handy to have the tap at hand if / when you need to change out an o2 sensor in your car.

• Like 5