Ed Kennell

What have you done to your Wheel Horse today?

BrianKoch
23 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

Push the shaft L-R-UP- DN.   There should be no movement.

No movement to report. That’s good! 

I don’t know. Maybe I installed the seal inside out, but take a look and let me know what you think…

IMG_2055.jpeg

Edited by BrianKoch

BrianKoch
9 minutes ago, BrianKoch said:

No movement to report. That’s good! 

I don’t know. Maybe I installed the seal inside out, but take a look and let me know what you think…

IMG_2055.jpeg

Ok I may have just figured it out.

I flipped the seal and drove it in with a 1/2” copper pipe scrap (straight cut and de-burred) and felt it “seat”.

Going to monitor for leakage.

IMG_2056.jpeg

Edited by BrianKoch
  • Like 5

Streetrodchev

Changed the throttle cable on the 550 today, then out for a ride. 

IMG_7060.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Excellent 1

Tractorhead
5 hours ago, BrianKoch said:

Ok I may have just figured it out.

I flipped the seal and drove it in with a 1/2” copper pipe scrap (straight cut and de-burred) and felt it “seat”.

Right decision, it was wrong inserted in the first pic.

If you flip it, now it be correct.

• Like 1

midpack

I have a set of Craftsman weights on the front of one of my C-175's.  

• Like 2

Tractorhead
1 hour ago, 87 416-8 horse said:

IMG_1977.jpeg

What was the origin source for that blower?

Looks interesting.

• Like 2

D_Mac

Hope you give it a few coats of Regal Red. Nice job.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

lynnmor
8 hours ago, Tractorhead said:

Looks interesting.

I'll jump in and say that older warm air furnaces used belt drive blowers, you might want to contact some heating contractors for used parts.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

87 416-8 horse
10 hours ago, Tractorhead said:

Looks interesting.

I believe it’s out of an old boiler. I put a little smaller pulley on it so it would spin faster.

• Thanks 1

Ed Kennell
10 hours ago, Tractorhead said:

Looks interesting.

Mine was from a forced hot air heating system.      It was a $10 auction buy.    The pulley was with it so I only needed to add the adjustable elbow and the belt tensioner pulley.102_3274.JPG.c2d4c6f209382cc7ba4b53241bba4270.JPG

• Like 2
  • Excellent 5
  • Thanks 1

87 416-8 horse

Welp, I got some bad news. I was testing the leaf blower and it blew up. I don’t think it could handle the rpm.💥

IMG_1978.jpeg

IMG_1979.jpeg

IMG_1980.jpeg

• Confused 1
  • Sad 7

Ed Kennell
36 minutes ago, 87 416-8 horse said:

I was testing the leaf blower and it blew up. I don’t think it could handle the rpm.

Yeah, in the heating systems with an 1800 RPM motor with a small pulley and the large pulley on the blower, they run really slow.   

• Like 2

87 416-8 horse
1 minute ago, Ed Kennell said:

Yeah, in the heating systems with an 1800 RPM motor with a small pulley and the large pulley on the blower, they run really slow.   

Yep. I think Im going to pull it apart and a some littel bits of metal to help hold the fins in place.

• Confused 1

Ed Kennell
7 minutes ago, 87 416-8 horse said:

Yep. I think Im going to pull it apart and a some littel bits of metal to help hold the fins in place.

Make sure you keep the rotor balanced, and I would put the large pulley back on and keep the tractor RPM around 1000.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Tractorhead
1 hour ago, 87 416-8 horse said:

In my thinkering i be in first absolutely with Ed‘s.

Without any modification firstly reducing dramatically the rpm‘s 

On the other hand after i looked little closer to the second pic, i see that everywhere where the finns be used as drive in the middle section they be definitely not harmed at all.

Therefore i can imagine if the whole fan in the Middlesection becomes an complete outside mounted enstiffening Ring

i. Eg. made from a 0,7mm thick 2cm wide little flat that goes outside the fan around the drum Fixed with a small welding spot or with a  oneway rivet on two sites together to balance it, it may can improve the rpm‘s.

because if the fins than in width be shorter they become more stiffness itself.

Question is how much rpm they than can handle with that improvement and if it‘s a win or a fail at all.

a gently and slow rev up will show how much rpm it can dealing with.

• Thanks 1

Ed Kennell

Just another thought,   You can run the blower very slow and increase the air velocity by decreasing the discharge area.     Something like this could be  modified to create a wide high velocity sweeper.

3-1/4" x 10" to 8" Round Duct Transition     

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Tractorhead
1 hour ago, Ed Kennell said:

Just another thought,   You can run the blower very slow and increase the air velocity by decreasing the discharge area.     Something like this could be  modified to create a wide high velocity sweeper.

3-1/4" x 10" to 8" Round Duct Transition     

Hi Ed,

I be not shure on this Dimension of Blowers what works better, reduce the charge or reducing the discharge Area of the Blower

Therefore i have not enough own experiences to be 100% shure in that Dimensions.

I just know, on my Shed Heater what work in combination with an Attached 1800cubicmeter Blower, that sucks the Hot air from my Heater and blow it thru a long Pipe to a Place where i need it. It runs fine up to 600 rpm - about 1/4 of max throttle.

if i rev it too high, it sucks so strong, that the Pipe between heater and blower begin to collapse because of the suction.

but i never try to reduce the outlet.

I feared that the pressure increases much and do some other dubious unwanted things internally like whirls or something like that.

maybe i‘m wrong in my thinking.

Dunno.

So i would go primary - as you mentioned earlier - with the bigger Pulley on the Blower for a transmission reducing for the RPM‘s

on the Blower, So he can play with the Throttle and see what happens or when it‘s enough „Boost“ Pressure

This equation can be calculated much simpler for needed speed.

I think you mean a Nozzle at the end to increase speed, do you?

• Like 2

953 nut
18 hours ago, 87 416-8 horse said:

The likelihood of being able to patch it up and have the fan be balanced well enough to use it is slim to none.   :twocents-02cents:  Get another fan and keep the rpms reasonable.

• Like 9

sjoemie himself
On 2/29/2024 at 4:00 AM, 87 416-8 horse said:

IMG_1977.jpeg

Very good idea and a shame it blew up. As others have said before me I would'nt bother trying to repair this unit. It failed for a reason. Chances are that the spot you repair will hold but then another section will give up.

Looking at your exhaust nozzle I can imagine the pressure generated by the fan with the increased rpm's can't exit fast enough causing the fan to buckle under the increased stress.

For a second attempt you could try to make the nozzle:

- A, bigger or

- B, transition smoother to the small diameter.

This creates less pressure inside the blower but increases flow and speed at the tip of the exhaust nozzle, where you want it.

No blower expert here though just thinking out loud and adding my :twocents-02cents:

• Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

87 416-8 horse
1 hour ago, sjoemie himself said:

Very good idea and a shame it blew up. As others have said before me I would'nt bother trying to repair this unit. It failed for a reason. Chances are that the spot you repair will hold but then another section will give up.

Looking at your exhaust nozzle I can imagine the pressure generated by the fan with the increased rpm's can't exit fast enough causing the fan to buckle under the increased stress.

For a second attempt you could try to make the nozzle:

- A, bigger or

- B, transition smoother to the small diameter.

This creates less pressure inside the blower but increases flow and speed at the tip of the exhaust nozzle, where you want it.

No blower expert here though just thinking out loud and adding my :twocents-02cents:

Yeah, I did some looking at it and tried to straighten it out but it’s way out of wack. I have a friend that works in hvac and sometimes has 1-2 a day. Hopefully I can buy one pretty cheap. Thanks everyone for your advice and input!

• Like 1

c-series don
On 2/29/2024 at 7:14 PM, kpinnc said:

Tried to talk the wife into putting one on her truck window, but she said "no thank you".

...Or might have been "I'll kill you"? I wasn't really paying attention. :lol:

IMG_20240229_131903238.jpg

I snuck this Wheel Horse sticker on my wife’s Explorer and she wasn’t happy. She left it on for probably a year until one day I noticed it was gone. This year at the big show I’m going to buy several so I can put one on her car and then when she removes it another one will magically appear!! 

IMG_5575.jpeg

• Haha 7

squonk
On 2/29/2024 at 5:53 PM, Tractorhead said:

Hi Ed,

I be not shure on this Dimension of Blowers what works better, reduce the charge or reducing the discharge Area of the Blower

Therefore i have not enough own experiences to be 100% shure in that Dimensions.

I just know, on my Shed Heater what work in combination with an Attached 1800cubicmeter Blower, that sucks the Hot air from my Heater and blow it thru a long Pipe to a Place where i need it. It runs fine up to 600 rpm - about 1/4 of max throttle.

if i rev it too high, it sucks so strong, that the Pipe between heater and blower begin to collapse because of the suction.

but i never try to reduce the outlet.

I feared that the pressure increases much and do some other dubious unwanted things internally like whirls or something like that.

maybe i‘m wrong in my thinking.

Dunno.

So i would go primary - as you mentioned earlier - with the bigger Pulley on the Blower for a transmission reducing for the RPM‘s

on the Blower, So he can play with the Throttle and see what happens or when it‘s enough „Boost“ Pressure

This equation can be calculated much simpler for needed speed.

I think you mean a Nozzle at the end to increase speed, do you?

Those fans are designed to move at a certain speed and move a certain amount of CFM. There is some leeway. But an old crusty fan is compromised. Using an electric motor, if you hop up the pulleys the motor overload will usually kick off before the fan will explode. Using a 14 HP gas engine will certainly overload the fan and cause it to explode.

Restricting air in or out will have the same effect. If the fan outlet is restricted, the fan can't push the air out fast enough and the incoming air will increase static pressure to the breaking point. If the inlet is restricted, the suction created will pull the blades right out of the wheel. I saw this happen on a new air handler at a school during covid. The facilities staff decided to put highly restrictive air filters in to "Clean the Air" Blades came out and went through the evaporator coil. Of course they wanted it covered under warranty! NOT! :rolleyes:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2