Ed Kennell

What have you done to your Wheel Horse today?

8ntruck

I stopped by the local TSC store and picked up a IH Cub muffler today.  It turns out to be much longer than the muffler on my C-195.   Following pictures are of my C-195 with the original muffler removed and the Cub muffler 'mocked up'.   If I squint just right, I think I can make it fit.  Major surgery will be required.

From left side:

20230612_171050.jpg.df83a7963ee9223aef6e9d0a2c1c58cc.jpg

From right side:

20230612_171107.jpg.6c94159ead4b929000701afa7d94034e.jpg

No, the surgery will NOT be performed on the hood. 

It appears that the Cub muffler is built like a Thrush muffler of old.  It has a perforated pipe welded inside a can.  There is no fiberglass in the can and there does not seem to be a baffle in the can, either.  I'm thinking of sectioning the muffler, maybe 3" shorter.  Called my neighbor over for a consultation.  He came up with the same solution.  I've got a welder, he has a band saw.

I'll probably start a thread on this when I get into it.

I know, the easiest way to use this muffler would be to make it as a stack.  I don't really want a stack on this tractor, though.

• Like 5

Wheel-N-It

Mike, good luck with the Onan. Of all the Wheel Horse's I've bought and sold and gave away over the years, I've never had one with an Onan. 

You are inspiring (with this 416) me to try one (when the right one comes along) :wh:

Edited by Wheel-N-It
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Sparky
6 hours ago, Wheel-N-It said:

Mike, good luck with the Onan. 

You are inspiring (with this 416) me to try one (when the right one comes along) :wh:

Thanks!

I’ve had a couple 16’s and they ran good. An Onan 518 just passed thru here and it was a good running machine as well. This is my first Onan powered rig with an 8 speed… might just be a keeper once I’m done. 

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

Bill D
2 hours ago, kpinnc said:

My neighbor was cutting hay a few days ago, and was kind enough to cut my back pasture as well. He got more than 3 round bales from it, but of course couldn't fit in some of the corners with the bailer.

Since I really hate to waste it, I decided to rake it up and give it to my critters. Needless to say, my ass is happy! 

IMG_20230613_123901209.jpg

artworks-000041863056-76ncq0-t500x500.jpg

I love that last photo.  Can I borrow that for my profile picture and possibly an Avatar photo when I text people.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

ebinmaine
41 minutes ago, Bill D said:

I love that last photo.  Can I borrow that for my profile picture and possibly an Avatar photo when I text people.

Ya got my vote for a yes ! 

Bill D
5 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Ya got my vote for a yes ! 

Done.  I can change it back if necessary.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 2

kpinnc
7 hours ago, Bill D said:

love that last photo.  Can I borrow that for my profile picture and possibly an Avatar photo when I text people.

Took that from Google myself. Our donkey looks just like that, but I've never had my camera ready when he makes a funny face.

• Like 1

ebinmaine
6 hours ago, Bill D said:

Done.  I can change it back if necessary.

Excellent 👍👍👍

• Like 1

Sparky

Couple pics inside the unloved Onan 416’s carb from last night.

:omg:

IMG_8532.jpeg

IMG_8533.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 3

Handy Don
1 minute ago, Sparky said:

Couple pics inside the unloved Onan 416’s carb from last night.

Screaming “save me, save me” ....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Sparky
1 minute ago, Handy Don said:

Screaming “save me, save me” ....

I cleaned it once..runs better but not great. Going in again to give it a second “scrubbing” 

• Like 1

Handy Don
Just now, Sparky said:

I cleaned it once..runs better but not great. Going in again to give it a second “scrubbing” 

My mom always checked our hands for clean when we came to the table...and sent us back to redo (“up to your elbows”) if she wasn’t satisfied! 😄

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Beap52
6 hours ago, Handy Don said:

My mom always checked our hands for clean when we came to the table...and sent us back to redo (“up to your elbows”) if she wasn’t satisfied! 😄

Sunday lunch.   Which ever of us three boys had the dirtiest hands got to wash the dishes and second place got to dry. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8ntruck

Stopped by the local Toro dealer and picked up a set of gaskets for Clyde the C-195's crankcase breather.  Also put a set of head gaskets on order.  Got to get the engine tins off and clean the fins. 

Might as well clean the breather and pull the heads to evaluate the bores while I'm there.

• Excellent 1

WHX??
7 hours ago, Sparky said:

You get the charging issue fingered out Sparky? 

• Like 1

Sparky
2 hours ago, WHX?? said:

You get the charging issue fingered out Sparky? 

No, I focused on getting it to run, then trying to get it to run better (came close :lol:).

I did verify that the stator is putting out the correct AC volts, so that’s good news. I’ll dig into the charging issue this weekend.

• Like 3

johnnymag3
21 hours ago, Sparky said:

unloved Onan 416’s carb

Thats proof that we are not paying / buying for gasoline anymore...we are buying some sort of combustible JUNK.  

4.00 a GALLON !!!!

What a shame

• Like 4

ebinmaine
40 minutes ago, johnnymag3 said:

Thats proof that we are not paying / buying for gasoline anymore...we are buying some sort of combustible JUNK.  

4.00 a GALLON !!!!

What a shame

Here in Maine & NH the ATV industry is kicking in hard. 

More and more fuel stations are selling "rec fuel" at the pumps. 

90 or 91 octane non ethanol. 

• Like 2

Sparky
1 hour ago, ebinmaine said:

Here in Maine & NH the ATV industry is kicking in hard. 

More and more fuel stations are selling "rec fuel" at the pumps. 

90 or 91 octane non ethanol. 

Just at the standard hi-test price? Not anything exorbitant? 

ebinmaine
16 minutes ago, Sparky said:

Just at the standard hi-test price? Not anything exorbitant? 

It depends on the station but usually it's between 30 and 50 cents a gallon higher than the "infested"  high test. Sometimes less.

• Like 1

Lee1977
23 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

It depends on the station but usually it's between 30 and 50 cents a gallon higher than the "infested"  high test. Sometimes less.

The aggravation of something that won't run or run like it should is worse the the extra you have to pay per gallon.

• Like 3

ebinmaine
2 minutes ago, Lee1977 said:

The aggravation of something that won't run or run like it should is worse the the extra you have to pay per gallon.

Agreed.

In our case we have not put ethanol in any of our small machines for quite some time.

I want to say maybe 5 years, maybe more.

It's worth every cent we've spent because we've had no issues.

Lee1977

I don't know how long I've use nonethanol in my tractors. I use in my Toyota because it has a metal tank and ethanol will rust a metal tank.and sending unit. I put the gas in my truck first because the duel pumps will give 2/3 or 3/4 of 

a gallon of the last gas pumped. Tank holds 10 or 11 gallons so it won't make much difference, but fill a small can for a chainsaw or weeder eater will.

I've fill my Toyota and gas can twice this year first time was $100 didn't get the last can full. Second time was $94 and change and I still have 10 gallons in gerry cans. So i'm good untill some time in july.

• Like 2

SylvanLakeWH

Proof of concept for the two new tub cars for the SL&WHN RR...

Works pretty good. Seats and some paint, hitch pins etc. and good to go...

IMG_2328.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 6