Ed Kennell

What have you done to your Wheel Horse today?

Blasterdad
1 hour ago, BrianKoch said:

Anybody else despise Easter White Pines…

charlie-brown.jpg

I'm pretty sure this guy does...:ROTF:

• Haha 5

ebinmaine
17 minutes ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

Michigan State Tree.

Maine too. 

We're "The Pine Tree State" 

They drop pitch all over. 

They can't be burned indoors without 3 to 6 YEARS of seasoning. 

Useless to me.  

• Like 2

JCM

Over the course of many years I have used thousands of board feet of Eastern White Pine for all sorts of projects, interior and exterior. Examples, 2 camps and 1 cabin for siding, ship lap , rough sawn. For bar tops. coffee tables, mantels, shelving , work benches etc etc. The list goes on and on. Love pine.

• Excellent 3

ebinmaine
7 minutes ago, JCM said:

Over the course of many years I have used thousands of board feet of Eastern White Pine for all sorts of projects, interior and exterior. Examples, 2 camps and 1 cabin for siding, ship lap , rough sawn. For bar tops. coffee tables, mantels, shelving , work benches etc etc. The list goes on and on. Love pine.

To work with. Yes. 

Most of my house is pine. 

My entire barn is pine. Framing, siding etc. 

To grow in a predominantly hardwood forest being pruned for firewood....?

I'll let someone else grow it for me.  

GAJoe

I tried to crank the C-160. It's been a couple months since I ran her. I had put stabil in the gas, ran it until it died after closing the fuel valve, and put a maintenance battery charger on it back then knowing that it'd be a while until I cranked it again. I tried to crank it and it began to turn over but quickly the noise changed to a radio static sounding noise. The positive battery terminal had corrosion on it so I removed the battery and cleaned up the posts and clamps real good. I put all back together but still just the static sounding noise. So I tried twice initially and just once after getting it back together. I figured that I should ask the experts on here. The engine does turn over fine by hand.

What does this sound like the problem may be? What do you recommend that I do next?

Thanks for your help,

Joe

Jon Paulsen
9 minutes ago, GAJoe said:

What does this sound like the problem may be?

Starter not engaging the flywheel?  

rick

Check your battery voltage.

• Like 3

GAJoe
12 minutes ago, rick said:

Check your battery voltage.

Ed Kennell

What is the battery voltage while starting?

• Like 2

GAJoe

The Starter bendix gear is not turning. The solenoid is making the buzzing static sound I believe.

ebinmaine
4 minutes ago, GAJoe said:

The Starter bendix gear is not turning. The solenoid is making the buzzing static sound I believe.

Remove and clean the solenoid, and all the wire ends connecting it. 

If that doesn't work you may need a new solenoid 

• Like 1
  • Heart 1

GAJoe
30 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Remove and clean the solenoid, and all the wire ends connecting it. 

If that doesn't work you may need a new solenoid 

Will do. 

Also the voltage of the battery pulls down below 5 v. The water level had dropped. I added some water and put it back on the charger alone.

• Excellent 1

ebinmaine
3 minutes ago, GAJoe said:

Will do. 

Also the voltage of the battery pulls down below 5 v. The water level had dropped. I added some water and put it back on the charger alone.

Check for leaks. 

Any battery below 12.45 volts at rest is considered rechargeable but suspicious. 

If it's more than 3 seasons old.... replace it.  

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Pullstart

Realized once again I’m 5 pages behind on this thread…

And did some fixing and building on an old disc.  I have three, might as well let at least one go… but why not fix it first?

86A7BF7B-79FE-489E-8B70-0A64357B26A3.jpeg

95CF5FC4-9F8F-4CCB-8A26-E47899B322D6.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 5

Ed Kennell
55 minutes ago, GAJoe said:

battery pulls down below 5 v.

Connect a good battery or jump start pack and try to start it.   Your battery is no good.

• Like 5

pfrederi

A battery that drops below 9 volts cranking is toast

• Like 8

GAJoe
19 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Check for leaks. 

Any battery below 12.45 volts at rest is considered rechargeable but suspicious. 

If it's more than 3 seasons old.... replace it.  

14 hours ago, pfrederi said:

A battery that drops below 9 volts cranking is toast

18 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

Connect a good battery or jump start pack and try to start it.   Your battery is no good.

Guess I'll be getting a new battery.

As always, good advise here, Thanks you Guys

Joe

• Like 3

ebinmaine
11 minutes ago, GAJoe said:

Guess I'll be getting a new battery.

As always, good advise here, Thanks you Guys

Joe

Keep the questions coming Joe 

• Like 1

ohiofarmer

Got out the workers to winterize them. The C160 auto. The 314 -8 and the 520H for snow plow duty. All now have real gas in them and the 520 needed a new spring on the transmission idler. I use neoprene rubber bands for that and the belt stays steady with a low oscillating rate.

Now it's rebuild a centering device to hold the snow blade steady. My last year cobble job in not holding up.  Suggestions welcomed

• Like 1

BrianKoch

Gentlemen,

Today I installed new valve retainers on the ‘69 Charger 12. Had to upgrade the bolt and lock nut assembly on the valve spring compressor (Lisle 23300) as the wimpy bolt and nut kept allowing the clamp to slide down rendering it useless. After that, I set the lash and now am reassembling the cover. Feels good to have this horse one step closer to running again!

IMG_1842.jpeg

Edited by BrianKoch
  • Like 7
  • Excellent 1

Tuneup

So, too many dreary, rainy days and haven't gotten outside. Wreck 520 has two exhaust bolts to extract. One of them has a decent size hole I drilled center. One more bit, a cleaning tap, and I'll likely be OK. This has been my 'got no money' method for my whole life but for repairing the 48" deck and working for 40 years, I have a Harbor Freight mig setup. Still living on the cheap! Time to weld a nut. Problem is that the cheap HF helmet is too dang dark. Can't see what I'm doing and got tons of welders' advice - no help. It's just trash. Didn't have this problem in 1977 in welding class! Will invest in something better when I next need it for a significant job but for today, it's off to the races. First, the rear head comes off and may preclude me even having to weld, depending on that intake seat.

• Like 2

ebinmaine
10 minutes ago, Tuneup said:

Can't see what I'm doing and got tons of welders' advice - no help.

@Handy Don has a great wisdom in reminding all of us that proper safety gear is likely the best investment possible. 

I have an eye condition that doesn't allow me to adjust from light to dark very quickly at all. 

I do use a low priced auto darkening helmet.  That helps. 

But my biggest salvation was getting a brighter light above my welded area.  

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Tuneup
31 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

@Handy Don has a great wisdom in reminding all of us that proper safety gear is likely the best investment possible. 

I have an eye condition that doesn't allow me to adjust from light to dark very quickly at all. 

I do use a low priced auto darkening helmet.  That helps. 

But my biggest salvation was getting a brighter light above my welded area.  

Yup, shone a 300 watt bulb on the job. No help. I think the one suggestion that the initial flash that darkens the shade has your eye overreact and over darken and to close the eyes until the flash passes.

In related news, the P220 can be saved. Although it's breaking bolts left and right, it apparently has only 512 hours on it. The rear cylinder is burning oil pretty well. The intake area rather grimy so hopefully the seal but I'm going to re-ring it anyway. Intake seat nice and tight.

IMG_0230.JPG

IMG_0229.JPG

• Like 3

Tuneup

Well, three fails on the welding stud removal but I've got the wire speed and heat just right now. Had to add more of both. Regroup, work on a car and will come back to it.

• Like 1