Ed Kennell

What have you done to your Wheel Horse today?

Colby G

The 211-4 steered a bit hard, so I put a suicide knob on it and I think it looks really good!

16950847220636449606505859959779.jpg

• Like 4

TonyToro
On 9/17/2023 at 4:38 PM, Handy Don said:

I've been scanning for weights similar to that one.

Astonishing what cast iron is going for these days.

I have a set of 75 lb. concrete-in-plastic rear wheel weights in pristine condition but it doesn’t make sense to put one of those on the front. 🙃

If you are ever my way I have a mess load of weight for the pulling tractors. All sorts that I’ve gathered over the years. I have some heavy cast pieces that I’ll probably never you that you are welcome to. They have bolting holes already in them. 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
8 minutes ago, TonyToro said:

If you are ever my way I have a mess load of weight for the pulling tractors. All sorts that I’ve gathered over the years. I have some heavy cast pieces that I’ll probably never you that you are welcome to. They have bolting holes already in them. 

Keep me in mind for those as well if we ever cross paths. 

• Thanks 1

WHGuy413

Knowing winter is going to sneak up on us sooner rather than later I spent a little time in the garage moving things around. Alex and I are going to make a push to get all the show tractors put away and the garage cleaned up this weekend. It would be nice to have a garage that’s organized chaos instead of just chaos that it’s in now. We both have a tractor project we want to work on in the near future. I’d like to get mine done before snow flies so I can use the 12 auto around the yard and then I will probably use it as my snow plow tractor or designate it as my fire wood hauler for the winter. For those who have garages and still work on stuff in the cold months what are you using for a heat source?

• Like 2

ebinmaine
7 hours ago, WHGuy413 said:

For those who have garages and still work on stuff in the cold months what are you using for a heat source?

Two things:

1. CHECK WITH YOUR INSURANCE COMPANY. 

Ours will NOT cover a fire caused by an open flame heater in a garage. 

2. Ask the local fire inspector what your own State and local codes are. 

There are legalities behind certain types of heaters in certain areas.  

That said,

We've used propane small area heaters, electric oil filled radiators electric blowers. 

Biggest thing is not the heater. 

Insulation and airflow. 

Stop air movement through the walls. 

• Like 4

SylvanLakeWH

I have an electric radiant heater mounted above work area. Uninsulated so it helps but not very warm except right under it...

• Like 4

Colby G

We have a little workshop, so we just use a wood stove.

• Like 1

Evguy

I’m using a 1954 oil furnace that has a blower, it will burn kerosene or diesel.

It will run me out of a 2 car garage with very little insulation.

• Like 2

peter lena

@Handy Don  think I would enhance / verify the front wheel bearing / lubrication se up ,  would add needed washers to eliminate , wheel , side to side shucking , also ensure the grease will stand up . when wheel bearings and initial set up have any horizontal  play , the bearing mount  point can quickly , wash out / distort .  seen that on many w/h tractors. most of the used stuff I see is like a train wreck, only good for parts . pete

rjg854
12 hours ago, WHGuy413 said:

For those who have garages and still work on stuff in the cold months what are you using for a heat source?

I have a radiant oil-filled electric heater that I use .  My horse barn is well insulated, it's 14X18 and the ceiling isn't very high, it's a shed roof so it's 6' high in the back and 8' high in the front.  Most of the time I don't have to use it, but should it down-right chilly, I'll plug it in about an hour before I want to work out there. It works good enough to take the chill off. And after a while depending how long I'm out there, I have to shut it off.  I don't remember using last year, it was so mild of a winter.

• Like 2

Handy Don
2 hours ago, peter lena said:

I would enhance / verify the front wheel bearing / lubrication se up

New bearings and all snugged up when I rebuilt/refurbed this machine in 2022. Will be adding a shim washer or two to the axle pivot pin next time I have it on the stand--just a bit too much play there.

• Like 1

peter lena

@Handy Don   glad you are on that , its a slight firming up , but makes a big difference on hub wear . last horse I went thru , was so neglected / worn , it was a wonder anything functioned , back of dash , was packed with grass , corrosion , shorted wiring , belt drive set up was worn/ wobbly , frozen in rust . deck rotted thru. rear bagger , spent  3 weeks on it , started instantly , lights worked , sold bagger unit separately for parts , trans fluid flush / change , partial paint touch up . also did a RISLONE ZINK , run time on that , was a smoker when I  got it , hours on the engine , 2 oil changes , zink , no smoke at all, engine said  THANK YOU ! also went thru  fuel swamp . gave the new owner a service sheet , recommendations  , probably  sitting in  tall grass , out of gas / oil . what we do , pete   

• Like 1

squonk

My C160 has a seat raised on springs and my 250 L Bees make for a bit of a teeter totter ride. Add some of the normal cracks a 46 yr old fender pan you get some creaks and groans. Add a couple 3/16 thick strips to spread the load. Made a huge difference on the ride.IMG_20230919_174202908.jpg.07874cfa0294aae9977a8fdfccc0da22.jpg

IMG_20230919_174215941.jpg.45394f4415a17be93b831b909ac95d8f.jpg

• Like 5
  • Excellent 1

314-8 wheel horse

Rebuilding kholer k321 short block and building adapter for long block oil pan. So it fits on 314-8.

20230609_150501.jpg

20230601_161133.jpg

• Like 6
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine
6 hours ago, 314-8 wheel horse said:

Rebuilding kholer k321 short block and building adapter for long block oil pan. So it fits on 314-8.

:text-welcomewave:

This is something you're creating?

Machine shop ? 

8ntruck

Got Morgan, the 14-8 out to move the sailboat & trailer down to the lake.  Launched the sail boat, and took the trailer back up to the road. 

No wind to speak of today, so I ended up mowing the lane with Morgan.

Got a raw gas smell just after shutdown.  Gas smell goes away shortly after closing the gas petcock.  Kind of indicates a leak somewhere between the petcock and carb to me.  Have to chase that down pretty soon.

• Like 3

Tuneup

800 pages so I had to post. Hit the shed yesterday and moved the wreck 520H (to be restored this winter if I get to it - bought it for its 48SD) to the back and the 76 C120 to the front. Added air and the battery charger and then the day got away from me. That old beast hasn't run this year so I wanted to give it an exercise. Tonight, it'll happen. That 520 is longing for TLC. The 120 will sit in the mechanically sound but Alabama backyard condition until it goes to child #3.

• Like 4

Ed Kennell
On 1/15/2018 at 10:28 AM, Ed Kennell said:

Ok, maybe this will get us back on topic.     Today  I made a safety light and pole for the 312 plow tractor .

IMG_0039.JPG.084969a1b82c8d3a06606472d5551ca3.JPG

:woohoo:          800 pages and creeping up on that 20,000 post mark since  01/15/2018.      Thanks Karl for allowing us to share

What We Did To Our Horse Today    

• Like 1
  • Excellent 3
  • Heart 2

Tuneup
12 hours ago, Tuneup said:

800 pages so I had to post. Hit the shed yesterday and moved the wreck 520H (to be restored this winter if I get to it - bought it for its 48SD) to the back and the 76 C120 to the front. Added air and the battery charger and then the day got away from me. That old beast hasn't run this year so I wanted to give it an exercise. Tonight, it'll happen. That 520 is longing for TLC. The 120 will sit in the mechanically sound but Alabama backyard condition until it goes to child #3.

120 fired right up thanks to that marine bulb. Ran out into the yard and mowed for 3 minutes before 'whack-whack-whack! Time for an RD belt. Must be something in there that killed it. Weekend inspection in the plans.

• Like 2

WHGuy413

Believe it or not I found my garage. I finally got my friends C-105 that I’ve had here for way to long, to drive out of the garage under its own power. I had to do so much to it from wiring, starter, key switch,  carb, fuel lines, fuel pump. Might as well as rebuilt it from the ground up. Unfortunately the tractor drove 50 feet and the drive belt exploded. Never seen one come apart like this one did. Tracking down another one tomorrow hopefully and giving that tractor the old heave ho out the door. Alex and I then put our sights figuring out his c-121 clutch/drive belt issue. I determined someone welded the tab on the end of the rod that goes through the frame to the idler pulley and it was in the wrong spot. The angle was all wrong allowing the idler to come in contact with the drive pulley when the clutch was out with the old belt on. When he installed the correct belt (7473) it wouldn’t stop spinning and was super tight. Once we cut the welded rod and replaced it with one off my shelf everything went back together with the brand new belt and he drove it around the yard and said it’s better than ever. 

now time to clean up the chaos sweep it out. Organize some parts and move some more

projects in. 

IMG_5011.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Excellent 3
  • Sad 1

Handy Don

Wheel chocks! (I don’t trust parking brakes and I want to be able to shift the gears while draining.)

• Like 1

ebinmaine
16 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

Wheel chocks! (I don’t trust parking brakes and I want to be able to shift the gears while draining.)

As long as that wooden block is secured to the tractor I'd prefer NOT to use wheel chocks.  

The large rubber tires will be able to roll as the front is raised easier than the steel wheels of the jack.  

• Like 1

Sparky
19 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

I want to be able to shift the gears while draining.)

Shift gears while draining? Never heard about doing that before :eusa-think: 

• Like 1