Ed Kennell

What have you done to your Wheel Horse today?

953 nut
7 hours ago, Blasterdad said:

plow on the C-160 while I had her out for when the base turns to slop.

:text-yeahthat:            When all the snow slides off the garage roof you'll need it for sure.

• Like 3

ebinmaine
On 12/24/2022 at 3:08 PM, peter lena said:

LOTS of neat stuff in that link Pete!!

Everyone who plows should check that out.  

• Like 2

ebinmaine
On 12/24/2022 at 12:46 PM, Heatingman said:

861E68B8-D7B2-4F96-BDD5-25F138F4C6A9.jpeg

BDBD4B0C-0CD3-4709-9387-07BB8C7351D4.jpeg

Can't remember if you mentioned it during the build...

Is there a specific reason other than aesthetics for the diamond plate on the fender tops?

• Like 1

ebinmaine
8 hours ago, Blasterdad said:

Best (any day/every day) ever

Isn't it fantastic when we get to the point in life that we can use tools and equipment that we WANT to ... Like an old Horse or vintage tools or a certain level of quality.... 

Makes doing "chores/work" in to FUN TIME. 

• Like 6

Blasterdad
27 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Isn't it fantastic when we get to the point in life that we can use tools and equipment that we WANT to ... Like an old Horse or vintage tools or a certain level of quality.... 

Makes doing "chores/work" in to FUN TIME. 

Couldn't have said it better. :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Heatingman
6 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Can't remember if you mentioned it during the build...

Is there a specific reason other than aesthetics for the diamond plate on the fender tops?

It did come up. But the reason is that I wear keys from my belt loop that hang right there, and scratched the paint. So the diamond plate on the right hand side was for that protection. On the other for a balance of appearance. 

• Excellent 2

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, Heatingman said:

It did come up. But the reason is that I wear keys from my belt loop that hang right there, and scratched the paint. So the diamond plate on the right hand side was for that protection. On the other for a balance of appearance. 

Well done. 

Nice modifications.  

• Like 2

Heatingman
3 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Absolutely agreed.  

Trina in particular gets HUGE satisfaction out of creating things. Learning new skills. Accomplishing a task she's never tried. 

It's like watching a little girl who just learned to ride a bike or roller skate. Every. Single. Time.  

Her latest was working on the sheet metal that's shaped like a 1975 C160 hood. 

When she started it had several dents and warpage with lots of rust pits. The front bars were spread. The hood hinges and their mounts badly twisted. 

Not even comparable now.

She's still working on it. 

Here's a few pics in it's current state.  

IMG_20221225_195808.jpg

IMG_20221225_195814.jpg

IMG_20221225_195819.jpg

IMG_20221225_195823.jpg

For those of us outside of the “know” what relation is Trina to you? I feel I should know by now after all these months of seeing her mentioned, but I still don’t know. 

I assume she must be your better 1/2, but can’t say for sure.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
26 minutes ago, Heatingman said:

For those of us outside of the “know” what relation is Trina to you? I feel I should know by now after all these months of seeing her mentioned, but I still don’t know. 

I assume she must be your better 1/2, but can’t say for sure.

I tried saying that a few times when we were first together. She "corrected" me. 

😂

She says "Other Half, not better". Ok fair enough.  

Yes... BBT, The Paint Department, etc is my amazing life partner, my wonderful girl you see listed in my profile description.  

We've been together for about 7½ years. 

Without question of comparison the most awesomest human I've ever met, male or female.  

❤️

• Like 2
  • Excellent 3

Brockport Bill
4 hours ago, Robaroni said:

When I was 8 years old my parents asked me what I wanted for my birthday, I said, "a soldering iron". I realized at a young age that if I could do things myself I would save a lot of money, growing up poor helped in that realization! I went on to get a degree in electronic engineering.

I worked on the first top secret military computers, got several patents, built, plumbed and wired a house, fixed and welded more things than me and my neighbors can count and even designed lots of stuff. Today I have a nice size home machine shop, a full electronics lab, a watch bench and two villages with tower clocks that I repair and maintain. I'm not dirt poor anymore but I just fixed up a WH 314-8 that had a broken tie rod end that my neighbor gave me for free, the way it looks it won't be my last one. I'll be doing this kinda stuff till the day I die, next April that soldering iron will be 70 years old, it's still in the basement.

I figure over my life I've saved easily over a million dollars doing all this stuff myself. I'll never tire of the immense joy I get out of seeing something come back to life that other people never saw the value in.

as was stated, these are the values, the culture, the skills and the mentality that built America --- love hearing these stories -- As a p.s -- i recall many times my Dad as he was doing repair work on a family car - - or a plumbing task, or an electrical outlet, or building a carpentry project, he would say -- "do you know what it would cost to hire someone to do this?" Ditto

• Like 3

Robaroni
9 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

I tried saying that a few times when we were first together. She "corrected" me. 

😂

She says "Other Half, not better". Ok fair enough.  

Yes... BBT, The Paint Department, etc is my amazing life partner, my wonderful girl you see listed in my profile description.  

We've been together for about 7½ years. 

Without question of comparison the most awesomest human I've ever met, male or female.  

❤️

Sounds like you're a lucky guy! My wife Nancy is a naturally busy person too so it works for us. I'd say Trina is very talented, nice job!

Nancy and me will be together 29 years this January.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Heart 1

Handy Don
26 minutes ago, Brockport Bill said:

"do you know what it would cost to hire someone to do this?"

I couldn’t begin to calculate what applying my skills for our household has saved but one example was acting as general contractor for our home construction which let us build more house than we could have otherwise afforded and let us make sure it was done to a high standard. Today I fixed a garage door--calling a service person woulda been at least $100. All of my children are willing to take on many similar tasks and are quite pleased to have had example and help to learn how. Next up? Grandchildren!

Edited by Handy Don
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Robaroni

Just out of curiosity how many of you guys (and Ladies) built Heathkits!

• Like 4

Blasterdad
6 minutes ago, Robaroni said:

I'll be the first to raise my hand, man that brings back memories... :)

Handy Don
11 minutes ago, Robaroni said:

We’re very off topic here (me having contributed to the tangent :lol:)--this would make a great new topic!

Edited by Handy Don

Robaroni
1 hour ago, Handy Don said:

We’re very off topic here (me having contributed to the tangent :lol:)--this would make a great new topic!

Sorry Handy Don couldn't resist a little memory lane.

• Like 1

WHX??

Heath Kits and Radio Shack kits here... :)

• Like 1

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, Robaroni said:

Sorry Handy Don couldn't resist a little memory lane.

No worries Rob. We're infamous for going off topic. 

New thread on that would be cool to see.... 

953 nut
7 hours ago, Robaroni said:

I'll never tire of the immense joy I get out of seeing something come back to life that other people never saw the value in.

Words to live by there.         :text-yeahthat:      Growing up on a small dairy farm we managed to fix most anything that needed repair. saved a bunch of time and money.

3 hours ago, Robaroni said:

I got the multimeter kit when I was in junior high. Our local TV Repairman let me hang out at his shop from time to time. I'm 77 years old so yes, we had them repaired. I went on to be an Electronics Technician in the Navy.

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

Robaroni
1 hour ago, 953 nut said:

Words to live by there.         :text-yeahthat:      Growing up on a small dairy farm we managed to fix most anything that needed repair. saved a bunch of time and money.

I got the multimeter kit when I was in junior high. Our local TV Repairman let me hang out at his shop from time to time. I'm 77 years old so yes, we had them repaired. I went on to be an Electronics Technician in the Navy.

Neat! When I was in high school I worked in the local radio/TV shop after school and during the summer. I'd go in every Sat morning and fix all the new transistor radios kids dropped, they all had broken circuit boards or transistors that popped out of their sockets.

I saw the Navy crest by your avatar, I was in the Navy too and an electronics tech, I'm 77 also. What years were you in the Navy? I think I went to ET school around 68 or 69. I went through accelerated where I sat in a room and read a book then took the test for that section, they put me in the repair shop and I fixed all the broken instruments so they said they had an intermittent in the radar that was a dog and would I look at it. I found a coil with a broken lead, not because I was a great tech but because I was a youngster with great eyes - they're long gone! Anyway I came out first in my class and was in Naval intelligence so they sent me to my choice of duty station - Hawaii for my stint and I got to work on the first computers - it was blast! I was there in a secure bunker when the Pueblo got captured and I remember the messages coming over from the ship, we knew those guys they were from our base. What happened is they left port without equipment to blow up the TTY's, they were literally throwing equipment overboard, North Korea got our encryption, it was very scary and we had to take secret measures to block them. The Lt JG captain of the ship got burnt for it.

Anyway I was at the base that became the NSA, it's the same place Edward Snowden stole secrets from.

I loved the Navy they were great to me and gave me money to go back to college when I got out, for a young kid from a small town it was a great adventure and I'll never forget it. We loved America and worked hard to keep everyone safe - it really meant something and we were proud to part of an elite group.

Sorry, I'm going off thread again! 

• Like 5
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

kpinnc
11 hours ago, Robaroni said:

I'll never tire of the immense joy I get out of seeing something come back to life that other people never saw the value in.

Well said, and I agree 100%!

• Excellent 2

953 nut
10 hours ago, Robaroni said:

What years were you in the Navy? I think I went to ET school around 68 or 69.

I enlisted in the reserves in February of 1963 with the assurance of ET or Radarman school once I went active. Went on active duty a week after graduation from high school. After basic I spent a few months on board an amphibious ship awaiting orders to ET"A" school. September of '63 to June of '64 was spent at Great Lakes for school then on to Charleston SC for the duration. I was on a tender so most of my enlistment was spent docked in the same spot, I was on a ship, we just didn't go to sea very often.

I know;            :text-offtopic:

• Excellent 2