Ed Kennell

What have you done to your Wheel Horse today?

Rob J.
4 hours ago, Gregor said:

Deestones are just so much smaller than Carlisles or other tires.  Here is Carlisle and Deestone, Both are 23 X 10.50 - 12

20210401_164003.jpg.8e9e2b4da86916d34f773bb10dde8eda.jpg20210401_164904.jpg.bbe8d0f106da827b4e60c159c3c5fb6f.jpg

I want to put AG’s on my 753 eventually. I won’t put Dees on the back but I am considering putting them on the front. Tri-ribs, some people swear by them but the jury is still out with me. Really can’t beat a Carlisle no matter what it is really. 

Wheel Horse 3D

Need to get the new tires on Dug! Gave a light wash after gettin muddy! Dug made short work of the macabre task of moving a deer carcass to the back 40. But with the rain today the slope back there just about did us in! The uphill tire started spinning and I kept sliding down toward the smelly carcass I was trying to be rid of! Thank goodness for the end loader! Pushed Backwards then pulled Dug forward slowly zig zagging our way up to level ground. Took some time and 3 or 4 hands to manipulate all the controls, but made it up and got Dug washed and back in the barn.

• Like 1

Gregor

Over time I have seen several posts about breaking the bead on tires. To be honest, I never paid a whole lot of attention to them, because when I wanted new tires, I simply took the wheels to the local tire shop, and told them what to put on. I went to the local tire shop today. They quoted me $400 for 2 Carlisle turf tires mounted on my rims. I thought thay was a bit steep. I brought my tires back home. Now I had to break the beads. It aint easy! Driving over the tire with my truck, did no0thing, although, it does hold the tire still while you attack it with a sawzall, oscillating saw, grinder, and cold chisel, but I did get the tires off.One tire had something very sticky, and ugly inside. That was not fun to clean up. Both were quite rusty inside. Last year I bought a cheap little HF sand blaster, but I didn't have compressor enough to run it properly. Now I have access to a VERY large compressor, and it worked much better.

20220910_153611.jpg.30f90c6101181850f2bd626decaeac40.jpg20220910_165602.jpg.2002f9c97062af96acc64a7af42a20a9.jpg

My main focus was the bead area, and it cleaned really well. I also did the outside. They are not show quality, but good enough for a plow tractor. If you do a lot of painting, you NEED to get a sand blaster. So much better than a wire wheel, a brush, sand paper. I should have had this thing 10 years ago. When I think of all the money I spent having things blasted, I could have bought my own large compressor.

• Like 4
  • Excellent 2

Snoopy11
15 minutes ago, Gregor said:

They quoted me $400 for 2 Carlisle turf tires mounted on my rims

:eek:

15 minutes ago, Gregor said:

I thought thay was a bit steep

Ya' don't say...? :laughing-rofl:

I can't imagine what they charge to put bicycle tires on... :rolleyes:

Don

• Like 1

ineedanother
10 minutes ago, Gregor said:

I went to the local tire shop today. They quoted me $400 for 2 Carlisle turf tires mounted on my rims. I thought thay was a bit steep. 

20220910_165602.jpg.2002f9c97062af96acc64a7af42a20a9.jpg

My main focus was the bead area, and it cleaned really well. 

Like a lot of other things, tires have gotten expensive and tire shops have to mark them up to stay in business. I've gotten accustomed to soaking rims in an e-bath to get rid of that rust but that just isn't for everyone. I would suggest though that you at least get some heavy rust primer on the inside of those and roll or brush some rustoleum or something in there. You'll typically add moisture when you put air in so a bit of extra effort now can pay dividends keeping the rims strong over time.

• Like 3
  • Excellent 2

Snoopy11
2 minutes ago, ineedanother said:

I've gotten accustomed to soaking rims in an e-bath to get rid of that rust but that just isn't for everyone.

Someone told me that vinegar would also help with the rust and corrosion... although I don't know if that's true or not... :dunno:

Don

• Like 1

SylvanLakeWH
25 minutes ago, Gregor said:

They quoted me $400 for 2 Carlisle turf tires mounted on my rims.

That’s crazy… Discount Tire in April - all 4 tires - old off new on - Carlisle Turf Master - $285… :confusion-shrug:

• Like 3

Heatingman
32 minutes ago, Gregor said:

Over time I have seen several posts about breaking the bead on tires. To be honest, I never paid a whole lot of attention to them, because when I wanted new tires, I simply took the wheels to the local tire shop, and told them what to put on. I went to the local tire shop today. They quoted me $400 for 2 Carlisle turf tires mounted on my rims. I thought thay was a bit steep. I brought my tires back home. Now I had to break the beads. It aint easy! Driving over the tire with my truck, did no0thing, although, it does hold the tire still while you attack it with a sawzall, oscillating saw, grinder, and cold chisel, but I did get the tires off.One tire had something very sticky, and ugly inside. That was not fun to clean up. Both were quite rusty inside. Last year I bought a cheap little HF sand blaster, but I didn't have compressor enough to run it properly. Now I have access to a VERY large compressor, and it worked much better.

20220910_153611.jpg.30f90c6101181850f2bd626decaeac40.jpg20220910_165602.jpg.2002f9c97062af96acc64a7af42a20a9.jpg

My main focus was the bead area, and it cleaned really well. I also did the outside. They are not show quality, but good enough for a plow tractor. If you do a lot of painting, you NEED to get a sand blaster. So much better than a wire wheel, a brush, sand paper. I should have had this thing 10 years ago. When I think of all the money I spent having things blasted, I could have bought my own large compressor.

Was that just to put on tires you provided?

• Like 1

ineedanother
Just now, Snoopy11 said:

Someone told me that vinegar would also help with the rust and corrosion... although I don't know if that's true or not... :dunno:

Don

Acids (acetic, phosphoric, others...) can help to clean that rust but those etch the iron and take just about as long to get results. I don't care for having to dispose of acids either and they're more expensive than electrolysis. Lots of opinions out there but at least we all agree that rust needs to be cleaned up. :tools-hammerdrill:

I don't have the before pics on these front that I'm doing but they were just about as bad as what @Gregor is working with. E-bath for a day or two, primer, paint on the inside. I'll get the tires mounted once that paint is good and cured. The bead will probably get scratched and maybe dinged when they're mounted which is why I'll wait to paint the rims themselves until the tires are on and tubes are in.

IMG_0318.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 3

Evguy
13 minutes ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

That’s crazy… Discount Tire in April - all 4 tires - old off new on - Carlisle Turf Master - $285… :confusion-shrug:

My local tire place charges 15 per, last time no charge on 3 because rusty rims had minor leak. Got them home and no leak. :happy-partydance:

• Like 4

Gregor

I took 23 X 8.50 - 12's off of these rims. I assume I can put 23 X 10.50 - 12's back on. ???????

• Like 3

953 nut
1 hour ago, Gregor said:

If you do a lot of painting, you NEED to get a sand blaster. So much better than a wire wheel, a brush, sand paper.

Before placing any rusted parts in the media blaster it is a good idea to use a needle gun, it will cut your blasting time by 75% and your glass beads will last a lot longer.  

image.jpeg.126db8edc2497f37abd17637cc28c0ea.jpeg

• Like 6

SylvanLakeWH
1 hour ago, Gregor said:

I took 23 X 8.50 - 12's off of these rims. I assume I can put 23 X 10.50 - 12's back on. ???????

I did on a C 105 no issues…

C5E02234-42AF-4E10-A1B3-83A26B3867E2.jpeg

• Like 4

Burnerman
On 9/9/2022 at 5:16 PM, Heatingman said:

How well does that bead breaker work on the the really old ones?

I have been able to break every bead so far. Even rusty ones that have had stop leak put in them. I had it bolted to a half sheet of plywood. (These tires were super easy)

If you lag it to the floor you can do car tires. 

It was worth it for $70. 

• Like 4

ineedanother
2 hours ago, Gregor said:

but I did get the tires off. One tire had something very sticky, and ugly inside.

Fix-a-flat or some similar potion I suspect...

• Like 2

ineedanother
1 minute ago, ineedanother said:

Fix-a-flat or some similar potion I suspect...

:offtopic: Ugly stuff inside tires reminds me of something from when I grew up in farming country in SW PA where we took glass jugs to the milk dairy within view of where we lived. The milk house was attached to the barn and Dave (whom I worked for too when I was young), the local dairy farmer would flip the switch to churn the milk in the big steel tank and tip the red hose into our jugs, open the valve, and viola! we had fresh milk which was about 35* and friggin delicious. Really great stuff that you had to shake to mix the cream back into before poring a glass. There was also a tin cup there in the milk house to have a drink during the process but I digress. When our tubeless tires in our tractors leaked, my dad would break the bead and pour 1/4 or 1/2 cup of fresh milk in and re-inflate them. The milk would (I suppose) curdle and seal the tire. I never thought much of it at the time but I can attest to the fact that it worked.  :confusion-confused:

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1
  • Confused 1

oliver2-44
8 hours ago, Rob J. said:

I want to put AG’s on my 753 eventually. I won’t put Dees on the back but I am considering putting them on the front. Tri-ribs, some people swear by them but the jury is still out with me. Really can’t beat a Carlisle no matter what it is really. 

Go one size larger on the Deestone tires compared to Carslile and they will be about be the same size. 

Heatingman

451DF985-FE26-4FDE-AB8F-CF27EB41547D.jpeg.51a265d1d53781000955a9a30da00101.jpegCouple more passes around the border and this will be looking good.

73B42DBC-B498-492F-9BBE-9DD37CF55B55.jpeg

Edited by Heatingman
  • Like 4
  • Excellent 5

Heatingman

Decided to try an air brush to touch up the rims where my hanging supports were.

Worked very well, highly recommended getting one for such work. 

Almost no overspray, barely any fumes, and did a great job.

Think I might even use it to paint all the little brackets, and pulleys and such.

19527108-7703-4348-A3DA-FA9C663B8EE6.jpeg

F3451B9C-6094-4044-B86C-CB61B539EC23.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

oliver2-44

@Heatingman what airbrush do you have. 

Heatingman
3 minutes ago, oliver2-44 said:

@Heatingman what airbrush do you have. 

I picked this one up this morning from Menards, and an upgraded hose from Harbor Fright.

AA73EF98-5CA9-4C83-B77D-4AA1F261DCEB.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Monstrosity

Well I was messing around with the 1054 I put the engine from the c125 on the frame and I need to do some fabrication. The base for the engine mount is wide and I kinda want to keep it isolated mounting. So lengthing the frame seems to be in the plans now. I set the c series hood on it and it doesn't look bad lol20220911_201808.jpg.30609d0879ae4e180688f7563aa453ef.jpg

• Like 5
  • Excellent 2