Ed Kennell

What have you done to your Wheel Horse today?

ohiofarmer
9 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

Looks great, but aren't all the other parts of the tractor going to want to look pretty as well?

Well, yes I guess so. This one is going to be sold for four hundred to my nephew. I had a bottle of Marvel Mystery oil break and I recovered a decent amount. So this was just cleaning up what I couldn't get vacuumed with a paint brush and smearing it on. Whatever color paint they used on these  black hoods is really a bright cherry Red ♥️

That horsie has no fenders because the original factory ones were in horrible shape. She does run strong and drives a 42 SD with authority..

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

cafoose
5 hours ago, TJ Salyers said:

Ignition module.

Same as mine :D

• Excellent 1

Heatingman

Got the trans back together, sand blasted a bunch of parts, and made a deal for a snowblower for my B-80. I’ll be picking that up in the morning.

8CAE579E-DA5F-4CD2-9FC8-D5FB0AEE459D.jpeg

596E2FA2-3823-4ADC-9579-1B3783993F90.jpeg

2E43ECC4-2883-490E-B3C7-71DF7E1882D7.jpeg

718D8EB9-C684-4190-8B0A-2C1801B04D98.png

C6F3FD41-2C7A-4BBC-921C-0B805804871F.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Excellent 3

Heatingman

Also dismounted the tires from those rims. What a pain that was. I worked in a tire shop as a teenager for a summer and I cant recall a bead ever being as hard to break as these. Apparently rust makes for a super bead sealer. 

For one of them I had to use the 12 ton press. 

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

ineedanother

Nice work. I wrestled a couple tires this week myself and it wasn't pleasant in my small shop here in NC. Have you tried an e-tank in lieu of so much sand blasting? I do it for about 90% of cleanup now. Easy, clean, cheap, and actually more thorough to get down to the bare metal without stripping it away. Works while I'm in bed or at the office. Worth a look...

• Like 3

Heatingman
8 minutes ago, ineedanother said:

Nice work. I wrestled a couple tires this week myself and it wasn't pleasant in my small shop here in NC. Have you tried an e-tank in lieu of so much sand blasting? I do it for about 90% of cleanup now. Easy, clean, cheap, and actually more thorough to get down to the bare metal without stripping it away. Works while I'm in bed or at the office. Worth a look...

I have not tried. Been looking into it, but from what Ive read, its does not work to remove paint, just rust.

If it removes paint, I’ll definitely give it a try.

This project has by far been the most use my sandblaster has ever seen. 

Usually I just use it for small parts every now and again. This last few weeks its been almost daily. 

• Like 1

oliver2-44
18 minutes ago, Heatingman said:

I have not tried. Been looking into it, but from what Ive read, its does not work to remove paint, just rust.

Usually I just use it for small parts every now and again. This last few weeks its been almost daily. 

An E tank will certainly remove paint. Even tight paint with no rust under it. It will certainly take a little longer than just removing rust. But with minimal labor I say let it cook while I work on other things. The surface area of the sacrificial electrode is important, the more the better.  Many use several pieces of rebar. I like to use flat metal. I pick up scraps of red iron such as purlin, C channel etc at the scrap yard. 

Edited by oliver2-44
  • Like 3

Wheelhorse#1

It’s been pretty hot lately so have been doing much in the garage. 

I did manage a panel light for the ignition.Key on it lights up.

16CDD70E-6E2E-45D2-9DB3-D2A62BB898EF.jpeg

• Excellent 8

ebinmaine
4 minutes ago, Wheelhorse#1 said:

It’s been pretty hot lately so have been doing much in the garage. 

I did manage a panel light for the ignition.Key on it lights up.

16CDD70E-6E2E-45D2-9DB3-D2A62BB898EF.jpeg

Excellent idea. 

I've been known to leave the key on a time or two. 

Can you post a link to the little light you used?

• Like 1

Wheelhorse#1
25 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Excellent idea. 

I've been known to leave the key on a time or two. 

Can you post a link to the little light you used?

Yes Sir.Thats same reason I added it.These are good lights.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013TGTCR8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1  

Edited by Wheelhorse#1
  • Like 1

ineedanother
10 hours ago, Heatingman said:

I think results vary depending on how the surface was originally prepped. I will say that I have a small sandblasting cabinet and can sandblast outside as well but have almost exclusively used an e-tank lately. It's definitely slower but I've found that it's also quieter, cleaner, cheaper and a heck of a lot easier since I can go do other things while it's working.

• Like 2

Heatingman

I set this up earlier. Thought I posted already, maybe not. So Its been cooking for a few hours. 

See how it goes. Its definitely slow compared to the blasting cabinet. 

88C1836D-0BF4-4E11-B263-FBF45A04F863.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

Evguy

Picked up some new shoes for the horse from market place, hopefully not too aggressive. :P

C0BD760A-2C12-453E-B211-921138C2A838.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 3
  • Heart 1

Snoopy11
2 minutes ago, Evguy said:

Picked up some new shoes for the horse from market place, hopefully not too aggressive. 

Are those ATV treads? They look similar to the treads on the LX that I have... :eusa-think:

100_1259.JPG.3febf9ad562aacc9dfbbbc391d1cc0df.JPG

I like them! :occasion-xmas:

Don

ineedanother

Not much today but it was nice to have the day out of the office for the holiday. I did order a set of wheel bearings and a couple other things but got sidetracked with this mess. I'm a bit frugal and not very tolerant of poor engineering and design so several years ago I repurposed a hose reel from one of those carts that don't have enough wheelbase to support the hose and stay upright. Yeah, those ones. 

The problem with that is that I just bolted it to a couple PT balusters pounded into the ground a couple feet. Sturdy enough for the past several years but one of the legs finally gave way. Not well done on my part when I hang 100' of heavy garden hose on it. Fixed now with some repurposed 2" aluminum channel from an old sign post. The cross pieces are just clamped and will be removed once the concrete sets (if the rain holds off long enough) and I'll be good to go again :thumbs:

IMG_0305.jpg

IMG_0303.jpg

IMG_0308.jpg

IMG_0311.jpg

• Like 4
  • Excellent 3

Evguy
1 hour ago, Snoopy11 said:

Are those ATV treads? They look similar to the treads on the LX that I have... :eusa-think:

100_1259.JPG.3febf9ad562aacc9dfbbbc391d1cc0df.JPG

I like them! :occasion-xmas:

Don

They’re Black diamond tires. I think they are six ply atv tires. Guy said they were on a zero turn he purchased.

• Excellent 1

Ed Kennell

I cut a hole in the 953s seat pan to remove the fuel tank.    The tank looks good on the inside, but has one small rust thru from the outside.    I'll solder that closed then test for leaks.

I'll make a bolt on cover plate so the tank can easily be removed in the future.

104_0946.JPG.c3a4f590c8ab64c84a1a7875ec6fcf3d.JPG

I cleaned and set the points and  plug, and added an IV fuel tank.     Couple squirts of fuel in the carb and she lit up.

Video thumbnail: 104 0947   It's alive

She doesn't smoke....that's the muffler burning the insulation off the jumper cables.

Edited by Ed Kennell
  • Like 4
  • Excellent 3
  • Haha 1

Monstrosity
2 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

I cut a hole in the 953s seat pan to remove the fuel tank.    The tank looks good on the inside, but has one small rust thru from the outside.    I'll solder that closed then test for leaks.

I'll make a bolt on cover plate so the tank can easily be removed in the future.

104_0946.JPG.c3a4f590c8ab64c84a1a7875ec6fcf3d.JPG

I cleaned and set the points and  plug, and added an IV fuel tank.     Couple squirts of fuel in the carb and she lit up.

Video thumbnail: 104 0947   It's alive

She doesn't smoke....that's the muffler burning the insulation off the jumper cables.

Your giving me anxiety with he jumper cable against the muffler lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

19richie66
2 minutes ago, Monstrosity said:

Your giving me anxiety with he jumper cable against the muffler lol

Giving me anxiety calling it a “she” and named it Fred :laughing-rolling:

• Haha 6

Monstrosity
3 minutes ago, 19richie66 said:

lol 

Edited by Monstrosity
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

ineedanother
5 minutes ago, 19richie66 said:

Inclusion and diversity in action :lol:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Monstrosity
13 minutes ago, 19richie66 said:

I must have missed that post... but I guess that's what's being called progressive now a days???

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

ebinmaine
13 minutes ago, ineedanother said:

Inclusion and diversity in action :lol:

5 minutes ago, Monstrosity said:

I must have missed that post... but I guess that's what's being called progressive now a days???

Call it whatever it wants to be identified as... Just don't paint it green.... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Heart 1