Ed Kennell

What have you done to your Wheel Horse today?

WHX??

Yes odd.....ran around with the C-121 with that coil in and it ran great. Swapped it out tonite with a resistor coil tonite and it runs rough at 3600. Looks like welding arc in the points yet so clearly some more work to do.

Anyone know what the resistance values should be. 3 ohms and 6 ohms for a resistor coil  come to mind.

ranger
7 hours ago, WHX?? said:

Yes odd.....ran around with the C-121 with that coil in and it ran great. Swapped it out tonite with a resistor coil tonite and it runs rough at 3600. Looks like welding arc in the points yet so clearly some more work to do.

Anyone know what the resistance values should be. 3 ohms and 6 ohms for a resistor coil  come to mind.

I seem to recall external ballast resisters were 1.5 ohms? 

• Like 1

Handy Don
On 9/21/2021 at 8:36 PM, Andy N. said:

I just read somewhere that a fun prank to play with people with those listening devices in their houses is to tell it to set an alarm for 3 am with loud or spooky music. Just an idea...

If they didn't have a 10-day old baby in the house, I'd be all over this idea!

On 9/21/2021 at 8:40 PM, Andy N. said:

Tri ribs finally became available again so I installed a set on a restored set of front wheels and installed on the 520-H. Too dark to mow, but I did drive them around a bit and so far like the results.

Hmmm. These have possibilities. Brand and source?

• Like 1

WHX??
3 hours ago, ranger said:

I seem to recall external ballast resisters were 1.5 ohms? 

I think you are correct Ranger.... 1.6 ohms. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/112365352385?epid=744990376&hash=item1a297f35c1:g:jkwAAOSwuLZY6tm9

In my search for a chrome coil for the Flame I have yet to find one with an internal resistor so I may have to go external. 

WHX??

Not the worst price I've saw on those 

This tire will make your garden look like a BIG tractor and will steer like POWER steering.

very true

This tire is Tubeless, no tube required.

I had a bugger of a time getting them to seal on the rims finally had to use bead sealer.... rim issue I think. 

• Like 1

Handy Don
2 minutes ago, WHX?? said:

Not the worst price I've saw on those 

This tire will make your garden look like a BIG tractor and will steer like POWER steering.

very true

This tire is Tubeless, no tube required.

I had a bugger of a time getting them to seal on the rims finally had to use bead sealer.... rim issue I think. 

For me, not about looks or steering but about the sturdiness of the tire over ground with sharp rocks, broken roots, etc. I am very pleased with turf tires on even surfaces for which they are intended!

OutdoorEnvy

@Tuneup  Man that cut better than I thought it would for the 48"!  Nice work on the whole rig!

Tuneup
29 minutes ago, OutdoorEnvy said:

@Tuneup  Man that cut better than I thought it would for the 48"!  Nice work on the whole rig!

Gracias! The 125 is what got me on this list and was a ground-up restore. It's the first time I carefully adjusted the deck according to the manual for blade angle and transport location. The bIades are new but actually not very sharp - I helped it along.

• Like 1

953 nut
On 9/22/2021 at 11:58 AM, squonk said:

coil doesn't care what wires are hooked up where as long as the points and condenser are on the same terminal.

On 9/22/2021 at 3:50 PM, pfrederi said:

they will run with the coil wires set up for negative ground but they will run better if you put the points and condenser on the + terminal.

:confusion-confused:    I've got to side with Paul on this subject. I know that pure electrical theory would lead you to believe that as long as a current is passing through the primary windings and an abrupt end of current floe occurs the collapsing field will induce voltage into the secondary windings. If the polarity didn't matter why would the manufactured bother to add the "+"? Several sites on the internet suggest that reversing polarity will reduce the secondary voltage.

coil with reversed polarity will have about a twenty percent lower output which may not show up at idle and low rpms, but can cause an engine to miss or stumble under load and at higher engine rpms.

What happens if ignition coil is wired backwards?

Asked By: Wenjuan Kremmers | Last Updated: 4th March, 2020
Category: automotive auto parts
4.2/5 (3,666 Views . 10 Votes)
To answer the original question, yes it will work if connected backwards but it will not work correctly. The design is for the current to flow in 1 direction and for the circuit break to be on the negative side of the coil. If wired backwards in a points type ignition it will almost act like a flaky condenser

Hi Guys, Iam having a tuff time starting the sidemount 6v, 8n. I hooked up the coil backward (ie distributor wire to negative, with Battery at positive ground), and also just found out the distributor wire was shorting. I reversed the coil polarities, but can't get anything out of the center coil wire. Any ideas? do you think my new coil is shot?? Thanks, Gino

[Log in to Reply]   [No Email]
Dell (WA)

11-05-2004 17:50:34

Report to Moderator
 Re: Coil Hooked up Backwards...is it bad? in reply to Gino, 11-05-2004 14:40:11  

Gino..........as a general rule its (+) to (+). That means iff'n your 6 volt battery (+) is connected to ground (and thats the way it came from the factory), then connect the ignition coil (+) to ground thru the the sidemount points terminal. Simple, eh?

I've been told you can loose upto -40% of your sparkies with incorrect coil polarity. I personally have seen -25% loss at ignition school when demonstrating incorrect coil polarity.

And NO, incorrect coil polarity doesn't hurt the coil, just the sparkies. And as a general rule, your 1-nipple roundcan ignition coil is fairly bulletproof.

• Like 2

ebinmaine
6 minutes ago, Lee1977 said:

move a large cedar

Well done Lee!!

That there's a right handy attachment.  

• Like 1

ZXT
22 minutes ago, JoeM said:

Started on one of those "bring them back from the dead" projects. A 48" mower deck that looked like a little love could make it run again. Well lets just say......it needed a lot of love! 

Had to weld in a partial spindle mount and started on the some cracks. Even the stiffener plate was broken at the spindle.

I am sure glad I got my old pile of leftovers. Makes the job at least somewhat cost effective.

It does have a slight twist just at the discharge chute. I figure someone it something and bent the area and took out the spindle mounting. The three spindles are fairly close in alignment, and the bend starts just next to the discharge spindle on the outside. It is up at the far end about 3/4", probably would not affect much but was wondering if anyone had any ideas to straighten. 

Could you possibly temporarily weld something like a 6' stick of square tubing to the deck at the affected area, mount it on the tractor and then use the tubing to "tweak" it back into shape? Might be better ideas out there, but that's my uneducated suggestion.

Or maybe take whatever they hit to bend it in the first place and hit it in reverse :ychain:

Edited by ZXT
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Shed

Well what I did about my wheel horse today thought about selling my rj59 with snow plow what ya think these are even going for I know markets all over still keeping the 416h and the 1960 sub. Just thinking let someone enjoy the rj59 getting to many tractor other brands too. 

Looking for a roll over plow for the 60 sub. Once I come up with a price range I'll post in classifieds if I'm selling it

20201209_120601.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Sad 1

kpinnc
2 hours ago, Lee1977 said:

I used Shallowwatersailor's ideal and picked up a Harbor Freight truck crane and built a attachment to fit in my receiver hitch. Today was the first time I used it to move a large cedar post. I had move it over against the fence

after the tree fell last spring and had been mowing around it. Worked great got it moved to the back corner.

Well done! Now I might have to get one myself!

Tuneup

Man, what the heck did I not do that was Wheel Horse yesterday? Mowed the 9" lawn with the RD that had its nasty blades sharpened. The belt quickly shredded so off to TSC all the way in Ellijay to get a 97" belt. Picked up a battery since mine lost a cell so the '77 will again live. Finished the lawn with the 516H and RD. Went over it and picked up the hay with the Snapper 28" and put the scrap in the trailer pulled by the C125 with the lovely 48" deck. About 5 trailer loads.

Today? Move the 48" to the 516 and the RD back to the 77. 42 SD to the 125. Battery and testing. It's going to be a glorious weekend! This winter - pull the balance gears on the 301s...

• Like 2

EB-80/8inPA
14 hours ago, Lee1977 said:

I used Shallowwatersailor's ideal and picked up a Harbor Freight truck crane and built a attachment to fit in my receiver hitch.

I can’t tell from the pic what you’ve got for weight on the front end of that very impressive rig.  I see a bracket for it, but how much counterweight did you need to lift the tree?

• Like 1

Lee1977
2 hours ago, EB-80/8inPA said:

I can’t tell from the pic what you’ve got for weight on the front end of that very impressive rig.  I see a bracket for it, but how much counterweight did you need to lift the tree?

The only thing on the front is a bumper. My guess with the 3/8" plate under the Vanguard and the heavy 3500 rated front hubs it still weights less then with a Kohler.

SAM-1383.jpg

• Like 1

ebinmaine
7 minutes ago, Lee1977 said:

Vanguard

I take it that's an aluminum engine block Lee?

Lee1977
1 minute ago, ebinmaine said:

I take it that's an aluminum engine block Lee?

Around 97 lbs + around 40 some ozs. of oil so still less the 100 lbs.

• Like 1

peter lena

@Tuneup, saw your response on the LUCAS  XTRA  EAVY DUTY , GREEN SNOT , the response that I  have from it , has been nothing short of amazing , my 3 decks and related pto drives , with the same 6203 bearings , are very quiet and smooth, lots of hours on that grease . any bearing that i have with wide rubber side shields , easily removed , gets the treatment . realize what i reply to might not go over with all , but thats my experience with it . thanks , pete

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, Lee1977 said:

Around 97 lbs + around 40 some ozs. of oil so still less the 100 lbs.

Seems to me my k341 weighs about 130 lb with starter and carburetor on it.

Those hubs you run probably add 5 or 10 lb. I agree that you're still lighter than original.

2 hours ago, EB-80/8inPA said:

counterweight

Ethan, that tractor of Lee's probably weighs 575 to 600 or even more. Not sure about the weight of the lift but that gives you quite a capacity for picking up ((whatever)) at the back.

I know on my own c-160 I've had a tongue weight between 4 and 500 quite a few times .... even more on occasion ... it gets just a tad light in the steering but my oversized front tires keep it on the ground being fluid filled. My front tires add about 120 lb to that end of the tractor. 

• Thanks 1