Ed Kennell

What have you done to your Wheel Horse today?

lynnmor
4 hours ago, Shynon said:

The ols Cessna pump on the loader blew out the side the other day. So on my only day off  I made a new pump bracket for the new pump.

20210725_123249.jpg

20210725_123256.jpg

I used the same pump and made a bracket that had a dogleg so the belt would be away from the PTO hoop.

139368790_LoaderPump.JPG.0e6eddbae11dbbeb471783cfed8e925c.JPG

• Like 3
  • Excellent 2

Dan.gerous
4 hours ago, lynnmor said:

I used the same pump and made a bracket that had a dogleg so the belt would be away from the PTO hoop.

139368790_LoaderPump.JPG.0e6eddbae11dbbeb471783cfed8e925c.JPG

That bracket is a thing of beauty!

How do you cut the slotted holes? Always keen to improve my below average metal work skills.

• Like 1

johnnymag3

Says RANGER on the fender !!!!   Easy     :)

• Like 1

lynnmor
6 hours ago, Dan.gerous said:

How do you cut the slotted holes? Always keen to improve my below average metal work skills.

I have a tool & die shop and did the machining on a Bridgeport vertical milling machine using end mills.  The steel is 4140 HT so it should outlast the tractor and loader.  I bored the large hole for the pump boss for a perfect fit so that the bolt holes don't take much of a load.  I used 4 bolts to mount the bracket to the sub-frame after having too many problems with the original 2 bolt setup.  I left a web between each pair of slots to keep the slots from spreading.  The sub-frame was supposed to fit a number of Wheelhorse models but, as you can see there would be interference with the PTO hoop and the floor board if the pump were mounted directly in line with the mount. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

squonk

Getting things sorted for the steam pageant in 3 weeks. Cleaned up the 1467 Special and 3000W Generac Genny! 

IMG_20210726_111553880.jpg.50abf3513b6ff942e186bb4d0ad486e8.jpg

IMG_20210726_111602752.jpg.1ce47db7e32aa33ddc08e3cc234a6e9d.jpg

Edited by squonk
  • Like 4
  • Excellent 5

Tuneup
17 hours ago, Snoopy11 said:

Nope... that is a 1995 Ford Ranger, believe it or not. It is just as physically monstrous and monstrous-sounding as my Hell Horse. Mustangs and muscle cars shake in their boots when this thing roars...

98EA8C87-23B2-4677-80E2-9F2E15358CBD.JPG

You can see peeks of my Hell Horse in the background...

Don

OK - I'm jealous. My little old 2000 step side 3.0 auto can't get out of its own way and a 4.6 6 speed would be just the ticket. Just minor traction issues...

• Like 1

19richie66

Had to bump out the hood side for the water pump.  

8F2638C0-E8E7-42EF-AF9F-59F23EA29252.jpeg

• Like 8

Snoopy11
12 hours ago, Dan.gerous said:

That bracket is a thing of beauty!

Die grinder with cobalt bits would do that trick... might take a few minutes though... :laughing-rofl:

Don

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Snoopy11
1 hour ago, Tuneup said:

OK - I'm jealous. My little old 2000 step side 3.0 auto can't get out of its own way and a 4.6 6 speed would be just the ticket. Just minor traction issues...

I am laughing. 

Any ranger (Ford or Wheel Horse) can be fast... just have to do some work to get it there.

I never reveal to anyone what engine is in this truck... but I will give a hint... :shhh:

Hint:

Other Ford Rangers on the road (and various other cars that think they are fast...) are like... :bitch:

Don

• Like 2

Snoopy11
15 minutes ago, 19richie66 said:

Had to bump out the hood side for the water pump.  

Do... you plan to cover that hole?:teasing-tease:

Don

• Like 1

19richie66
41 minutes ago, Snoopy11 said:

Do... you plan to cover that hole?:teasing-tease:

Don

Yes but waiting to find the right piece of the puzzle to weld up there. 👍

Edited by 19richie66
  • Like 1

tom2p
5 hours ago, Tuneup said:

throw a turbo (or two) on it - that will wake it up  lol

seriously - guys are transforming street cars into 9 second 1/4 mile screamers with a turbo (or two) ... crazy  

Mustang below ran an 8.80

Edited by tom2p
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Tuneup
23 minutes ago, tom2p said:

throw a turbo (or two) on it - that will wake it up  lol

seriously - guys are transforming street cars into 9 second 1/4 mile screamers with a turbo (or two) ... crazy  

Mustang below ran an 8.80

Ha, no. Reminds me of my Chevelle days, though. That old Ranger has 180K on it. 1 little ounce of boost would blow it up. Poor old girl. She'll get anything from Home Crappo and will tow a 520H without a problem, in 3rd. Now, when I need acceleration, I look for a good Japanese Bandit or XSR. Building a Ford is tempting, though...I miss those fast, old shifters.

Snoopy11
56 minutes ago, Tuneup said:

Ha, no. Reminds me of my Chevelle days, though. That old Ranger has 180K on it. 1 little ounce of boost would blow it up. Poor old girl. She'll get anything from Home Crappo and will tow a 520H without a problem, in 3rd. Now, when I need acceleration, I look for a good Japanese Bandit or XSR. Building a Ford is tempting, though...I miss those fast, old shifters.

WAY WAY WAY over 250k on the blue one I showed you before, (after 250k, the odometer burned up, so counting miles became speculation...LOL)

ANYHOO... it got some new life after the stock 2.3 engine broke a piston rod. Hmm... both Rangers (Ford and Wheel Horse) had broken rods in their original engines... and both got swapped with hellish engines... (shows how my mind works... LOL)

Also, if you ever decide to turbocharge, talk to Shannon at Stinger performance... but as with anything else, you gotta have forged rods...

Too bad forged rods aren't available for small engines... 

BUT I have thought about supercharging my wheel horse... if I ever get the money... only thing is, I don't know about getting enough fuel to the motor... 

But that's another discussion for another place...

Don

• Like 2

Snoopy11
1 hour ago, Tuneup said:

By the way... I think Rangers are just about the best little trucks on the road... 

Built well, and faithful.

By the way, if you ever have a engine problem, think about getting a remanufactured crate engine... only 2,000 smackers for a brand new stock engine from ATK...

I've spent more than 2,000$ on my Duromax and Tillotson engines for my Wheel Horse... LOL

A little more pricey for the engine in my Ford though...:happy-partydance:

Don

• Like 2

AMC RULES

:rolleyes: You do know Terry (Vinylguy)offers both of those dash decals in his inventory. 👍

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

squonk
9 hours ago, D_Mac said:

Next is the engine swap on the 875.

Don't forget to put oil in it! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

D_Mac
10 hours ago, AMC RULES said:

:rolleyes: You do know Terry (Vinylguy)offers both of those dash decals in his inventory. 👍

I do have the dash decals for 1 of them. I already had the paint out so I decided to paint them insted.

1 hour ago, squonk said:

Don't forget to put oil in it! 

Oil will be added.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

cschannuth
On 7/26/2021 at 12:43 AM, Dan.gerous said:

How do you cut the slotted holes?

if you don’t have access to a mill I just drilled holes at the end of the slots and then I used my jigsaw with metal cutting blades to cut the material out between the holes to create the slot. If you take your time the slots will be fairly clean and only require a small amount of filing to make them look really nice.

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

WHX??
17 hours ago, 19richie66 said:

Yes but waiting to find the right piece of the puzzle to weld up there. 👍

No brainer Ritchie... one of those covers for a bevel gear deck..... :)

• Like 3

Dan.gerous
58 minutes ago, cschannuth said:

if you don’t have access to a mill I just drilled holes at the end of the slots and then I used my jigsaw with metal cutting blades to cut the material out between the holes to create the slot. If you take your time the slots will be fairly clean and only require a small amount of filing to make them look really nice.

That's the level of technology that I have 🙂

Made some brackets up for the pig huts that had elongated holes, but I used the plasma cutter. It was rough but suitable for the job, only going on some rusty angle iron and then buried in mud for most of the year.

• Like 1

19richie66
5 hours ago, WHX24 said:

No brainer Ritchie... one of those covers for a bevel gear deck..... :)

nope…. Too tall and not wide enough. BUT, a gt14 rear fender top cut just right lays on there nicely. And I had several 😁

Edited by 19richie66
  • Like 3
  • Heart 1

Tractorhead

Give Karsten - a newbie here in our grown „Shed wrenching group“ a warmly Welcome.

Have a first look at his „ crazyness“..

yap, he definitively fits in our Group...

First take a closer look to the Engine...

F111C3DA-D4B8-4A07-A11F-2DC73BC81D1C.jpeg.1d5638a80afb48d10812c17cc7a3cbe1.jpeg

yap, nice 

5717A8C7-9BDC-4714-B235-13C1ADDB0311.jpeg.46992048bb5b523e8f45155df2b2d532.jpeg

He will finish his project step by step...

great project

457AAC82-7072-475B-A603-A3396C9D2CBF.jpeg.95805fd811c3fa60f26f61380448fdab.jpeg

Even the horse feels fine aside.

So let‘s begin to mount some Light in his Area....

• Like 4
  • Heart 1

Snoopy11

You guys, I have something pretty cool for you today on old Hell Horse...

So, I took a manual hydraulic pump, ran hydraulic lines, and fabricated up some brackets and other stuff that took me all day... for my hydraulic cylinder... and BOOM... hydraulic blade...

Video coming soon...

Don

P.S. Guys, I also bought new springs to go on either side of the hydraulic cylinder... as the original springs I used were pretty ugly... as you can see in 1 of the pictures...

100_1043.JPG

100_1044.JPG

100_1045.JPG

100_1046.JPG

Edited by Snoopy11
  • Like 2