Ed Kennell

What have you done to your Wheel Horse today?

squonk

Take the doors off the shed and rear door off the trailer. Back the trailer to the shed opening and an instant addition for 20 RJ's :)

20210702_142644.jpg.a5f9df1054602897d8799a032ae4ab64.jpg

• Like 4
  • Excellent 3

SylvanLakeWH
15 minutes ago, Oldskool said:

I really wanted to get my new flag up for the 4th, along with my new to me flag pole. So the ole GT is giving me a hand.

I have a 24’ sail boat mast that I am going to put in as a flag pole…

Curious - Are you going to use your :wh: to hold it true while the concrete base dries…? Or are you going with a different base?

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Oldskool
17 minutes ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

I have a 24’ sail boat mast that I am going to put in as a flag pole…

Curious - Are you going to use your :wh: to hold it true while the concrete base dries…? Or are you going with a different base?

I wish I had ended up with a bigger flag pole, but it will do for now.  At the moment the GT.   IS    the base. I'm not sure where I'm putting it permanently. As it is I can raise the boom and move it around anywhere lol 

• Like 3

8ntruck

Swapped over to the RD deck today and mowed the lake house lawn along with the lakefront lawns of 3 of my neighbors.  My wife's cousin (my cousin in law?) has the lake house two doors down from ours.  He had his walk behind mower out, trimming right up to the water and around the trees while I used the Horse to mow the rest.

Hooked the cart up and started hauling firewood to the wood rack.  Also stopped by the Toro dealer and got the proper Spirol pin ordered for my PTO clutch to replace the spring pin I have there now.  About broke the bank - a whopping 72 cents for two.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Snoopy11

I plan to revert back to electric start on my L-157. Mine came with electric start originally, and my Duromax 51 Horse engine is capable of electric start, so I bought a new battery, new ignition switch, wiring, and a trickle charger... 

So... electricity is in my future!

I also got my 2.5 inch pulley put on the transmission, along with a new 64 inch belt. I had to put on a idler pulley to keep the belt from slipping, (and so I didn't have to buy a smaller size belt... LOL) but no big deal. 3,600-3,800 rpm is very fast.

I don't have the courage to go any faster... although I have over 3,000 rpms left over in the engine. It feels like to me, second gear is now as fast as third gear was with the stock :wh: 6-7 inch pulley. I don't have to even use third gear all the time (rarely would be a good word to describe how much I have used third gear so far). Second gear is fine. First gear still pulls like hell. 

What I like about this setup is that, my engine has the power in 1st gear to pull, while keeping rpms low in third gear while still making speed. Before, I was relying on high rpms to make speed. Now, I use higher rpms for power and working in lower gears. 

Towing stuff in third is still possible, but unnecessary as 2nd gear is fast enough for towing, yet powerful enough not to bog the engine down.

I don't know what this pulley setup would be like with one of my 25 horse Tillotson Engines, but I get the feeling that those engines would stall easily in third gear... even when not towing a load. 

Don

• Like 2

Snoopy11

By the way, hats off/ big shout-out to kpinnc

He is the man. ...Gave me a lot of help and advice on this build, particularly my recent pulley project. 

Don

• Like 3

kpinnc
3 hours ago, Snoopy11 said:

By the way, hats off/ big shout-out to kpinnc

Many thanks! But just so you know, I'm just passing along what others have shown me in the past. That's what is great about this place. We all share! :thumbs:

• Like 4
  • Heart 2

Jeff1129

Well i was trying to beat the rain with my 520hc and well...it didn't work out so i kept mowing.

I got good pics though20210628_151641.jpg.0a4c94b35dd002373840267acfac91d2.jpg448842545_20210628_1340413.jpg.39a3a3a7411129f3787f1dfc6a0320ac.jpg

• Like 8
  • Excellent 1

Jeff-C175
36 minutes ago, Jeff1129 said:

trying to beat the rain with my 520hc

Must have looked pretty funny, you out there swinging that big tractor around swatting at raindrops!  Bet you've got Popeye arms!  :ychain:

I've often wondered how badly the accumulation of grass on the flywheel affects engine cooling airflow. 

image.png.984fe80e4b3204bc659f46eba4226524.png

I'm in the habit if bringing my boot up to brush it off while I'm mowing.  Even gone as far as thinking about installing a brush of some sort but never acted on those silly thoughts... or IS is silly?  hmmmm....

Edited by Jeff-C175
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

ebinmaine
2 minutes ago, Jeff-C175 said:

Must have looked pretty funny, you out there swinging that big tractor around swatting at raindrops!  Bet you've got Popeye arms!  :ychain:

Well played Sir

• Haha 3

Lee1977
58 minutes ago, Jeff-C175 said:

I've often wondered how badly the accumulation of grass on the flywheel affects engine cooling airflow. 

I'm in the habit if bringing my boot up to brush it off while I'm mowing.  Even gone as far as thinking about installing a brush of some sort but never acted on those silly thoughts... or IS is silly?  hmmmm....

I have seen a picture of a Gravely GT with a brush installed on a Kohler. Don't know if Gravely installed it was the owner.

• Thanks 1

tom2p
3 hours ago, Jeff-C175 said:

:ychain:

I've theorized and read debris accumulation (grass / leaves / etc.) on the Onan twin air intake can affect engine cooling significantly - especially when the debris is relatively heavy and covers a large portion of the air intake 

I believe I've read threads with temperature readings to prove this 

At one time I attached a small / simple wood handle snow brush to the left side body panel with 3M hook and loop tape - but although it did work I prefer to stop and reach down and use my hand to remove the accumulation from the air intake 

stop / throttle down / PTO off / slide forward and reach down to remove the debris 

Edited by tom2p

tom2p
2 hours ago, Lee1977 said:

I have seen a picture of a Gravely GT with a brush installed on a Kohler. Don't know if Gravely installed it was the owner.

Kohler twin ?

Do the Kohler twins have similar debris build-up issue the Onan twins have ?

Jeff-C175
Just now, tom2p said:

Kohler twin ?

Do the Kohler twins have similar debris build-up issue the Onan twins have ?

Yes they do.  At least mine does.

WHX??

Got a package from @AMC RULES today for the belts and manual for the flying tub I picked up at the BS. Where did you get these belts Craig almost afraid to install them them NOS with the cool WH on them! Also this pricing stickers were in the manual and hard not to believe were not printed in '67! 

20210706_184418.jpg

20210706_155008.jpg

• Like 4
  • Excellent 3

lynnmor
4 hours ago, Jeff1129 said:

20210628_151641.jpg.0a4c94b35dd002373840267acfac91d2.jpg

Look at that pile of grass on the mower deck behind the front tire.  Some have fashioned a fender using a portion of a plastic bucket to limit the flying debris.  The Onan has a larger flywheel fan than most and can provide enough cooling air at 1800 RPM, at 3600 RPM there is a considerable air flow drawing in anything that is close.

My Dad had a Sears tractor with a 16 HP Onan and he never brushed the grass off while mowing.  I saw buildup that could stuff a pillow but the engine continued to perform well.

• Like 1

WheelHorse520H
47 minutes ago, lynnmor said:

The Onan has a larger flywheel fan than most and can provide enough cooling air at 1800 RPM, at 3600 RPM there is a considerable air flow drawing in anything that is close.

I had my hand in front of the flywheel cover to move some leaves once while it was at idle and it was really sucking in some air, once I felt that it was no wonder so much stuff sticks to it.

kpinnc

Kinda wish I could make an Onan blower housing like the new Vanguards. They have "inspection panels" that are removable to keep junk off the cooling fins.

846964~2.jpg

• Like 3

Jhook

Brought the brand new TLB home today. Almost sold off my collection of attachments and will obviously be keeping the 315-8 for mowing, along with a dozer blade and snowblower. Im happy thats for sure

20210706_172249.jpg

20210706_172238.jpg

• Like 8
  • Excellent 1

AMC RULES
57 minutes ago, WHX24 said:

Got a package from @AMC RULES today for the belts and manual for the flying tub I picked up at the BS. Where did you get these belts Craig almost afraid to install them them NOS with the cool WH on them! Also this pricing stickers were in the manual and hard not to believe were not printed in '67! 

20210706_184418.jpg

20210706_155008.jpg

USE THEM BELTS there Jiminy, that's what they're for! 

Hard to imagine people bitching about the post office.

Mailed around noon on Saturday, 3 July, arrived today July 6. 

Over a holiday weekend, New York to Wisconsin in three days.

Reminds me...this guy came into the Post office to drop of his 4 month late check for his post office box he's had for over 50 years. 

Was all indignant and pissed off because because they had the nerve to close his account and asked him to fill out a request to reapply for another one. 

Young kid behind the counter, so professional, had to take that abuse. Terrible behavior from a guy obviously old enough to know better. 

I told the kid what a great job he was doing, ignore that a hole, and how much I appreciate my postal service. 

• Like 4
  • Excellent 4

tom2p
29 minutes ago, WheelHorse520H said:

I had my hand in front of the flywheel cover to move some leaves once while it was at idle and it was really sucking in some air, once I felt that it was no wonder so much stuff sticks to it.

best to throttle down (idle) when removing debris because it can be a challenge otherwise 

certainly look and feel like you've been cutting grass when you step off an Onan twin powered Wheel Horse 

grass clippings and small bits / pieces ... pollen ... all over your body head-to-toe - especially lower legs ... left lower leg ... shoes covered ...  it's a war out there  lol

as opposed to the calm almost serene environment when cutting with a Kohler single (for example)

Edited by tom2p
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 1