Ed Kennell

What have you done to your Wheel Horse today?

squonk

Your low humidity confirms my theory of the elbow absorbing moisture from the cooler shop and releasing it out in the warmer air.  Carburetor icing is the same effect. Cold air drawn in can't hold it's moisture and it will deposit it on a warmer surface(carb). If the air passing thru is cold enough it will form ice.

Edited by squonk
  • Thanks 1

Maxwell-8
1 hour ago, squonk said:

Your low humidity confirms my theory of the elbow absorbing moisture from the cooler shop and releasing it out in the warmer air.  Carburetor icing is the same effect. Cold air drawn in can't hold it's moisture and it will deposit it on a warmer surface(carb). If the air passing thru is cold enough it will form ice.

The fuel is the cooler. That's why we see it after the carb. not?:eusa-think:

squonk
3 minutes ago, Maxwell-8 said:

The fuel is the cooler. That's why we see it after the carb. not?:eusa-think:

Depends. My example is on an automotive carb. The ice would form on the top choking off the air actually. Moisture would "Fall Out" of the cold intake air as it hit the warmer carb. Then it would freeze from more cold air air hitting it. You have to understand relative humidity. Cold air cannot hold as much moisture as hot air. Relative humidity is a reading on how much moisture the air is holding relative to it's temp as opposed to actual humidity. On a hot humid day the RH may be 55 at 90 deg. when the air cools off at night to say 65 The RH may go up to 75 with no actual increase in the amount of moisture in the air. That's why you see dew and fog the next morning. The RH climbs as the temp drops until it reaches 100%RH. The air cannot hold the moisture so it forms dew and fog. When you watch a weather report during hot humid weather the weather person will talk about dew points. This is the temp where the air will start forming dew based the RH. The higher the dew point, the more uncomfortable we are. Our bodies cannot evaporate sweat because the air won't accept it.

So the cold intake air hits the warmer carb. The RH changes so fast the water will form on the carb. And before it can  absorb heat from the carb and evaporate it will get cooled quickly and freeze on a bitter cold day. That was part of the reason for warm air intake systems on cars. It just a strange phenomenon. But yes fuel charge should be cooler. 

• Like 3

Jeff-C175
8 minutes ago, squonk said:

bitter cold day

It doesn't really need to be 'bitter cold'.  It's all about the 'dew point'.  The evaporating fuel cools the venturi, or jet area where the fuel is exiting into the air stream.  When the incoming air hits that cold spot, if it is colder than the dew point, it will condense.  If it's cold enough, it will freeze to ice.  If not cold enough it will simply form water droplets that get sucked into the intake and generally that's not enough to cause issues with running.  It's the ice that forms around the fuel entry point that causes a problem.

Pilots are very sensitive to this issue.  There are many charts on the interweb.

image.png.2072c4bd71e2c70f9beb73836219dc61.png

• Like 1

Jeff-C175
17 minutes ago, squonk said:

So the cold intake air hits the warmer carb

I think you meant the other way 'round?   When the warmer intake air hits the cooler carb, no?

squonk

Yup my mistake. The problem on my example happened on Chrysler 2.6 minivans. We had to install a heat stove on the carbs to keep them from icing on the highway at sustained speeds. Put them on in the fall. Then in the spring we had to take them off because on hot days the fuel would boil in the carb bowl. One of Chrysler's "better fixes"

• Excellent 1

953 nut
6 hours ago, pullstart said:

2 mile shake down run today.  I think it’s Big Show ready!

:text-yeahthat:                               :woohoo:                  What did you find out about the clutch noise?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart
1 hour ago, 953 nut said:

What did you find out about the clutch noise?

I ground the fingers and the nuts and studs on the pressure plate and it went away :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Horse Newbie

@Oldskool... Did you literally "pick them up", or did you have to buy them ?

• Haha 6

Handy Don
1 hour ago, Horse Newbie said:

Pressed

• Haha 2

Oldskool
3 hours ago, Horse Newbie said:

Literally picked them up and put them in my truck. Free for the taking.👍

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Heart 1

Horse Newbie
4 hours ago, Oldskool said:

Literally picked them up and put them in my truck. Free for the taking.👍

Heck yeah !... build a rack with 2 posts sticking up and add weight as needed...

• Excellent 1

haydendavid380
On 6/4/2021 at 2:38 PM, Jeff-C175 said:

It doesn't really need to be 'bitter cold'.  It's all about the 'dew point'.  

Am I reading the graph correct, that you can get light icing when it's 95°F and 50% humidity? 

If so, that's pretty amazing.

Jeff-C175
2 hours ago, haydendavid380 said:

Am I reading the graph correct, that you can get light icing when it's 95°F and 50% humidity? 

If so, that's pretty amazing.

In theory, yes, but it's very unlikely.  But if you were 5000 feet in the air you would want to be acutely aware of even very slim possibilities!

Jeff-C175
On 6/4/2021 at 3:50 PM, squonk said:

had to install a heat stove

I made one for my 175 last winter but we didn't get any more snow.  I'm ready for next winter though!

ebinmaine
12 hours ago, Oldskool said:

Literally picked them up and put them in my truck. FREE for the taking.👍

My favorite "F" word......

😃🤪

• Excellent 2

Oldskool
14 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

My favorite "F" word......

😃🤪

You know it 

• Like 1

Oldskool
2 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

I usually have to pay one dollar for mine.   That's the minimum bid at the auction.    The auctioneer refers to all old exercise and treadmill equipment as cloths dryers.  

Paying a dollar is a great deal. There arent any auctions close to my area. I have to rely on my friends that deal in scrap metal to find things like this

• Like 2

Wheel Horse 3D

Little more E6000 on Dugs seatback logo, use the old heat gun to remove old traction tape, bit if wire brushing, and install new foot board traction assist coverings on Dug...removed his navel appendage(hadnt really messed with the Tachmatic much before, slicker than greased owl snot in the rain!) now ready to start pulling tires and weights for painting!

SmartSelect_20210606-123724_Chrome.jpg

20210606_122904.jpg

Edited by Wheel Horse 3D
  • Like 4
  • Excellent 1

Wheel Horse 3D

Weights and rear tires off and buzzed with a wire wheel. Everything went smooth...tractor was well utilized, but evidently maintained. Now to go cool off!

SmartSelect_20210606-144624_Chrome.jpg

Edited by Wheel Horse 3D
  • Like 3
  • Excellent 3

ebinmaine

Had our friend @OldWorkHorse Steve around today so I could give him a hand changing the rear wheel seals on his Ariel's Flowah Powah tractor. 

He'd been pouring the Liquid Wrench spray to it for a couple weeks or more and the seals were pretty much not there so plenty of lube was getting in the hub.  

I was pleasantly surprised to have both hubs fly right off using my "spare hub as a puller" method I picked up from around here somewhere.  

Even better... He also gave me a hand pulling both hubs from a spare 8 speed that may end up in the C-160 Tecumseh engine tractor or as needed for whatever horse. 

Also from the 3 speed that I'll be rebuilding for Trina's Military Tribute Tractor. 

I'd been soaking the 8 speed for at least a year.

Trina started spraying the 3 speed hubs a few weeks ago.  

All four came off!!

Certainly took more effort than the ones on Steve's but it was great to see them slide out without serious issue. 

Here is the 8 speed on the bench, 3 speed on the floor, with the puller next to it. 

IMG_20210606_133926.jpg.439597f19b18573414451074a8093a53.jpg

IMG_20210606_133928.jpg

IMG_20210606_133931.jpg

• Excellent 9

Maxwell-8

Like the special shape hole in the bench! 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

ebinmaine
10 minutes ago, Maxwell-8 said:

Like the special shape hole in the bench! 

Special Wheelhorse transmission holder.  

VERY handy. 

• Like 2
  • Excellent 3