Ed Kennell

What have you done to your Wheel Horse today?

kpinnc
8 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Me, my old ball n chain, and her old bat mom spent some time in the woods processing firewood today. 

I almost choked when I read that!

Too funny!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Horse Newbie
3 hours ago, bailey650 said:

wouldn’t be very helpful if a horse wasn’t involved right???

Laying in a hammock would not be helpful if a Wheel Horse was not involved...:lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

ebinmaine
6 hours ago, Lee1977 said:

You know when you go cheap there is not a lot of options. 

Quite true. 

Good reminder too. 

I had a tractor with a cheap seat from a PO that was near perfect but cracked badly during the first cold spell. 

• Sad 1

WheelHorse520H
12 hours ago, JCM said:

IMG_0807.JPG

IMG_0809.JPG

Ooooohhhhhh shiny. I wish mine looked like that! 

• Like 4
  • Excellent 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Shed

Hey guess is the big show in pa going to happen this year? 

• Like 1

WheelHorse520H
10 hours ago, JoeM said:

Got some crazy idea I may want to plow snow with it some day. I also has a rear rockshaft if I want to put the sleeve hitch on and use a box scraper.

You could put a salt spreader on the bed, sure would make the neighbors......and us jealous 

• Like 3

Greentored
On 5/14/2021 at 10:52 AM, kpinnc said:

Maybe some form of rollover protection would be useful? Would make for an interesting build thread for sure.

I personally very much like the tractor in that picture. I've seen it several times on other threads. What you do with your machine is of course your business. Keeping these old tractors going is what we all love here too, and finding new "jobs" for them in particular is something I enjoy- especially when mods are done to accomplish it. That being said, I hope no one gets hurt on one. Each time I mow my pasture (has some crazy hills), I'm thankful for that seat belt and roll bar on the Scag! 

Again, it's none of my business and I know it. Feel free to ignore this. 

No ignoring at all, those are some valid points! It's likely to end up with an adjustable wheelie bar very soon, as I am still not super comfy with steep hills, and uncomfortable = less enjoyable ride.

I do my best to push the 'most of us are not destroying these machines or modifying them to the point they could never go back to stock', especially on here where a lot of folks somewhat frown upon things like this.

To me, it is a true testament to how tough these Horses were built, and a great way to make use of some old, worn out parts that are well beyond their service life and not necessarily worth overhauling- like spindles, axles, cracked and repaired frames, etc...

Heck, I still have the governor intact and adjusted correctly haha..

• Like 5

Ed Kennell
7 hours ago, bailey650 said:

Helped the wife plant some flowers... It wouldn’t be very helpful if a horse wasn’t involved right???

A9244BCD-06B6-4264-8971-51D998F292E1.jpeg

Nice tractor....855?           What am I seeing under the mid frame...a shaft with a guard?

• Like 3

Ed Kennell
16 minutes ago, Shed said:

Hey guess is the big show in pa going to happen this year? 

Yep..be there.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Heart 1

Bailey855

Hey Ed, this is a 1055.  The attchment is a recently acquired PTO-66. I posted pics of it on the forum here. It takes tractor pto and converts it to 540 farm implement style. 

• Like 3
  • Excellent 2

Maxwell-8
6 minutes ago, Greentored said:

No ignoring at all, those are some valid points! It's likely to end up with an adjustable wheelie bar very soon, as I am still not super comfy with steep hills, and uncomfortable = less enjoyable ride.

I do my best to push the 'most of us are not destroying these machines or modifying them to the point they could never go back to stock', especially on here where a lot of folks somewhat frown upon things like this.

To me, it is a true testament to how tough these Horses were built, and a great way to make use of some old, worn out parts that are well beyond their service life and not necessarily worth overhauling- like spindles, axles, cracked and repaired frames, etc...

You are on thin ice here buddy. But the Wheel Horses most off-road guys use, are find in the woods, with everything worn out. Indeed not really worth restoring. And they pretty much never break anything, it sure seems like they are built like tanks.

• Like 2

Ed Kennell
7 minutes ago, bailey650 said:

Hey Ed, this is a 1055.  The attchment is a recently acquired PTO-66. I posted pics of it on the forum here. It takes tractor pto and converts it to 540 farm implement style. 

Cool,  one of the rare attachments.

• Like 5

Bailey855

Yeah pretty much useless but pretty neat I thought. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Shed
1 hour ago, Ed Kennell said:

Yep..be there.

Yup I plan to with the kids is Sunday still pretty full or lot of people leave on Sunday? My wife works Saturday and my kids are only 3 and 2 so. Sunday be the day for me this year. 

• Like 1

tom2p
2 hours ago, Greentored said:

years ago spent a fair amount of time in the woods with a 704 - other than a few love scrapes and dents no issues ... drove slow though 

good ground clearance - but a bit 'tippy' ... never did feel too secure with the front tires up in the air - had trouble finding a good 'balance point'

to the contrary - the low priced / cheapo lawn tractors were ideal for riding wheel stands ... the Wheel Horse lawn tractors (B-81 etc) might be similar (?) ... 

• Like 1

Gregor
On 5/2/2021 at 8:02 PM, Gregor said:

I am guessing it has been 2 maybe 3 months since this filter on the trans was changed. What do you think?

1422623372_20210502_194339(2).jpg.a13012e7b738ff8d4655b8dec3443f1b.jpg

20210517_040943.jpg.f60ace6fe2563049aeaea077de26cf64.jpgAs it turns out, Terry doesn't need to make decals. You can still buy this filter. Kind-a cashy though @ $17

• Like 3

Oldskool

Thinking of making custom concrete wheel weights for my 16in rear wheels. Is there a build thread on here of such a thing?

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine
7 minutes ago, Oldskool said:

Thinking of making custom concrete wheel weights for my 16in rear wheels. Is there a build thread on here of such a thing?

Not sure if anybody has one on this particular site. Here's a video from the interwebs that shows a good idea of what I was thinking...

Maybe refine it a little bit and put your own touches to it. 

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Greentored
12 minutes ago, Oldskool said:

Seems I remember somewhere in my travels, a guy would lay his wheels flat, wrap with tinfoil/plastic wrap and pour the concrete, using the wheels as the form for it?

• Like 2

ebinmaine
5 minutes ago, Greentored said:

Seems I remember somewhere in my travels, a guy would lay his wheels flat, wrap with tinfoil/plastic wrap and pour the concrete, using the wheels as the form for it?

Two or three layers of thick Mil plastic is handy because it gives you a few thousands of leeway when installing or removing them.

• Like 4

Snoopy11
4 hours ago, Maxwell-8 said:

You are on thin ice here buddy. But the Wheel Horses most off-road guys use, are find in the woods, with everything worn out. Indeed not really worth restoring. And they pretty much never break anything, it sure seems like they are built like tanks.

Yeah, I have to agree here... I mean... my L-157 is different than it was originally... but not 'that' different. Mine was not really "worth restoring" ...but I restored it anyway... especially since I had to rebuild the trans... and just about everything else on it...

Don

• Like 1

Snoopy11
12 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Two or three layers of thick Mil plastic is handy because it gives you a few thousands of leeway when installing or removing them.

Somebody want to explain how these concrete circles are held into the wheels? I am lost....

Don

• Like 1

Gregor
14 minutes ago, Snoopy11 said:

Somebody want to explain how these concrete circles are held into the wheels? I am lost....

Don

Did you watch the video?

• Like 1