Ed Kennell

What have you done to your Wheel Horse today?

ebinmaine
13 minutes ago, Gregor said:

Looks to me like it has an engine on it. :confusion-confused:

Bad one. 

Gregor
22 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Bad one. 

Not bad. Just misguided.

• Haha 4

cschannuth
4 hours ago, The Tuul Crib said:

g ! I can't stop looking at those wheels on that little ranger pick up. Those are getting hard to find

We used to have Torino’s so I had the 15x7’s for the front and the 15x8’s for the rear. I put them on as sort of a joke, liked them on there, and never took them off. 

• Like 2

Horse Newbie
4 hours ago, TonyToro said:

Can you show a full picture of the bottom plow?

Here's a pic...yes the nut on the right is the nut that "jams" against the barrel and holds the angle of the plow blade so that it either points down for a deeper cut, or more level so that it doesn't dig in so much.

But I still don't see what the nut on the left does...it just jams against the shoulder on the threaded rod (adjustment handle), and spins with the handle.

20210514_154632.jpg

20210514_154624.jpg

• Like 1

Maxwell-8

It keeps the treaded part from spinning in the left part

• Like 1

Horse Newbie
2 hours ago, Maxwell-8 said:

It keeps the treaded part from spinning in the left part

Thanks a million ! Still seems to me that the jam nut against the barrel would do it also...guess I'm weird wanting to know answers to things like this.

A lot of people would say "Don't worry about it, and just use the darn thing".

Which is what I plan to do !

It's there for a reason, so when I set the adjustment on the plow, I will tighten one nut against the left part and the right against the barrel section...:lol::lol:

• Like 1

The Tuul Crib
3 hours ago, cschannuth said:

We used to have Torino’s so I had the 15x7’s for the front and the 15x8’s for the rear. I put them on as sort of a joke, liked them on there, and never took them off. 

Best looking wheels Ford ever made in my opinion I had a Torino cobra it had the magnum 500 wheels. 

• Like 2

ranger
40 minutes ago, Horse Newbie said:

Thanks a million ! Still seems to me that the jam nut against the barrel would do it also...guess I'm weird wanting to know answers to things like this.

A lot of people would say "Don't worry about it, and just use the darn thing".

Which is what I plan to do !

It's there for a reason, so when I set the adjustment on the plow, I will tighten one nut against the left part and the right against the barrel section...:lol::lol:

The nut to the right of the pivot pin the adjuster passes through is  used to take up any free play, but still allow the handle to be operated without binding. If it wasn’t there, the plough bottom would tilt down and dig in as adjuster slid forwards when the point of the share engaged the ground. The nut to the right of the picture is the one used to lock the handle after adjustments are made. No need to tighten both solid, only the rearmost one

Doug.

Edited by ranger
  • Thanks 1

TonyToro
5 hours ago, Horse Newbie said:

Here's a pic...yes the nut on the right is the nut that "jams" against the barrel and holds the angle of the plow blade so that it either points down for a deeper cut, or more level so that it doesn't dig in so much.

But I still don't see what the nut on the left does...it just jams against the shoulder on the threaded rod (adjustment handle), and spins with the handle.

20210514_154632.jpg

20210514_154624.jpg

Looks to me that the washer need to be against the barrel and the two nuts are there to lock it down. Jam one nut into the other. 

• Like 1

Chestnut
9 hours ago, Gregor said:

Looks to me like it has an engine on it. :confusion-confused:

8 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Bad one. 

8 hours ago, Gregor said:

Not bad. Just misguided.

There is no such thing as a bad engine. Just bad previous owners.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

D_Mac
9 hours ago, Shed said:

What size tires are on that 875? I'd like to put tall skinny r1s on a 416 h for use in the garden make it more farm tractorish. 

Has any one done this to a 416? 

Yes EB is right, those are 6-12's on the rear.

20210514_093507.jpg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine
6 minutes ago, D_Mac said:

Yes EB is right, those are 6-12's on the rear.

20210514_093507.jpg

Hey what brand are they?

• Like 1

D_Mac

Those are Goodyears. I just got them last week. I bought them for the rims, tires are not in the best shape. They have some cracks in them but there are tubes in them so they hold air fine. I wanted to put a different set of tires on the rims but I guess just keep them the way they are. Glad I got the extra set for all this wheel painting I been doing. Heres a photo of after I painted the rims but before I cleaned the tires. You can see the cracking. Im happy, got the rims with the tires for 40 bucks.

20210506_170014.jpg

20210514_093604.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine
4 minutes ago, D_Mac said:

Goodyears

40 bucks is a great deal for that set. 

The cracks should be fine unless you run heavy like my Cinnamon Horse. 

• Like 1

Shed

Those are narrow then a 25 8.5 12? Would a 6 12 fit on a stock 416 rim? Or would they need to be changed out to a narrow rim as well? The front I'd like to put tri ribs. 

• Like 1

pfrederi
3 minutes ago, Shed said:

Those are narrow then a 25 8.5 12? Would a 6 12 fit on a stock 416 rim? Or would they need to be changed out to a narrow rim as well? The front I'd like to put tri ribs. 

6 x 12 came on 5 inch wheel.  416 tractors had 7 inch.  Rule of thumb wheel should be 1 or 2" narrower than the tire cross section.

• Like 2

Oldskool

I put the rake on the new Horse. Did pretty good. Needs a bit more tractor weight though. 

20210515_194620.jpg

• Like 5
  • Excellent 3

OutdoorEnvy
29 minutes ago, Oldskool said:

I put the rake on the new Horse. Did pretty good. Needs a bit more tractor weight though. 

That is a nice looking rake setup.  Do you mind elaborating on the make/model and the hitch attachment it requires?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
32 minutes ago, Oldskool said:

20210515_194620.jpg

1 minute ago, OutdoorEnvy said:

That is a nice looking rake setup.  Do you mind elaborating on the make/model and the hitch attachment it requires?

We could use one o them here in the yard. 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Horse Newbie
5 hours ago, The Tuul Crib said:

Best looking wheels Ford ever made in my opinion

My neighbor sold a 1972 or so F-150 truck last year...I told him he should keep it...anyways it had a set of those wheels...darn good looking truck ! I don't think he knew what he had.

You can't find pick ups down south unless you are ready to shuck the bucks !

The Tuul Crib
3 minutes ago, Horse Newbie said:

My neighbor sold a 1972 or so F-150 truck last year...I told him he should keep it...anyways it had a set of those wheels...darn good looking truck ! I don't think he knew what he had.

You can't find pick ups down south unless you are ready to shuck the bucks !

Same here in the mid south!

A good truck here is gold!! 

• Like 1

8ntruck
6 hours ago, The Tuul Crib said:

Best looking wheels Ford ever made in my opinion I had a Torino cobra it had the magnum 500 wheels. 

Actually, those Mag 500's were supplied to Ford by Motor Wheel.  We made those at factories in Lansing, Michigan, Chatham, Ontario, and Mendota, Illinois.  

We also sold versions of them to AMC, GM, and Chrysler. 

I think there are a couple of companies making reproductions of them now.  I've seen ads for steel versions and aluminum look a likes, some in the currently popular larger diameters.  Originals only came in 14" and 15" diameters with a variety of rim widths and inset dimensions.

Edited by 8ntruck
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 1

The Tuul Crib
Just now, 8ntruck said:

Actually, those Mag 500's were supplied to Ford by Motor Wheel.  We made those at factories in Lansing, Michigan, Chatham, Ontario, and Mendota, Illinois.  

We also sold versions of them to AMC, GM, and Chrysler. 

I do remember those real

well! Pontiac had them as well and l can

still see the PMD in the center cap

• Like 3

Oldskool
19 minutes ago, OutdoorEnvy said:

It's a Tuffline 60in ATV rake. It has an adjustable height hitch and attaches with a 1-7/8 ball. I can reach the rake height adjusting handle from the seat. Very convenient, but I would like to make the adjustments hydraulic someday.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8ntruck
19 minutes ago, The Tuul Crib said:

I do remember those real

well! Pontiac had them as well and l can

still see the PMD in the center cap

We had a unique wheel for Pontiac as well.  That one looked more like an American Torque Thrust mag wheel than the Mag 500.  Those mostly we're used on Firebirds, Tempests, and GTO's.  

We made a unique wheel for Oldsmobile, too, used mostly on the Cutlass and Delta 88. 

One of my first projects as a new engineer at Motor Wheel was to do a computer aided stress analysis of the 13" look alike Cutlass wheel for the then new front wheel drive X car, called the Omega when it went on sale. 

Edited by 8ntruck
  • Like 3
  • Excellent 1