Ed Kennell

What have you done to your Wheel Horse today?

ebinmaine
2 minutes ago, pullstart said:

It’ll be nice for Denny to see again!  

if it's okay with you Kev I'm going to nominate you and your family in charge of coming up with names for the rest of @WHX24 Jim's tractors...

• Haha 3

WVHillbilly520H

Most of the old CC manuals stated "only 3-5 pumps of grease every 25-30 operating hours per mower spindle"  and different times for different areas ,if no hour meter how long does it take to mow your yard ? 1 hour each time? I know its seems counter intuitive but if you do every 10 hours of use is still better than too much or not enough. Just an observation I have been apart of.

• Like 3

Pullstart

It must depend on the season then... May and June, I will need to grease twice a week!  August?  Not at all!

Pullstart
17 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

if it's okay with you Kev I'm going to nominate you and your family in charge of coming up with names for the rest of @WHX24 Jim's tractors...

Rylee’s full of creative names.  Seems Bob and Jeff are her go-to for random things.  She has a giant hamster and a 401, both called Fat Bob.  I think the only thing left for her to round out a trifecta is...

A66206C5-653E-4D1E-BD28-0C1A864B8DD8.jpeg

• Excellent 1
  • Haha 5

WHX??
28 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

coming up with names for the rest of @WHX24 Jim's tractors...

9 minutes ago, pullstart said:

Rylee’s full of creative names.

That's fine with me as long as they are biker handles  like Knuckles or Toad or something..... :lol:

• Haha 4

Pullstart
1 hour ago, WHX24 said:

That's fine with me as long as they are biker handles  like Knuckles or Toad or something..... :lol:

I went ahead and pre-named the next WHX15 for ya!  16 can’t forget Madge!

BBBBC3CE-AE43-443B-A71A-D61DBB944C05.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

WHX??

Lol... I ever score a tractor from @AMC RULES or @wallfish you can dang well bet it's gonna get named Madge! Been awhile since I posted this....we're due! 

a0283c7b9db227785583e73a6c33e62a.jpg.271abab1e313f83ebff418e0578cac27.jpg

Edited by WHX24
  • Haha 6

lynnmor
2 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

That's just about right as long as you're sure that the item being lubricated is fully surrounded with grease.

A good example is the front axle on these tractors.

If you don't jack the front end up so that the tension is relieved then there isn't as much grease getting to the top of the pin.

The three fittings on the front axle lubricate holes in the cast iron, not a bearing, so there is no such thing as greasing them too much.  With no seals, those holes need flushed out often.  I grease those three and the deck wheels every time I mow.

• Like 4

WVHillbilly520H
2 hours ago, lynnmor said:

The three fittings on the front axle lubricate holes in the cast iron, not a bearing, so there is no such thing as greasing them too much.  With no seals, those holes need flushed out often.  I grease those three and the deck wheels every time I mow.

I will agree to that to a point, if you don't remove the excess then there's a dust/chaffe attraction area, but if you fill the void and grease comes out, wipe the excess,  then "technically" there should be nothing getting back in there to flush out? And the velocities the spindles/pivot pin are moving they should not be excessive heat to melt the grease out in 15-25 hours spans? If I am wrong here okay I misunderstood the whole grease (semi-solid) vs oil (liquid) lubrication substrates thing... Now far as bearings go here's something to check out... https://ludeca.com/blog/lubrication/9345/three-myths-about-greasing-bearings/.

lynnmor
28 minutes ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

I will agree to that to a point, if you don't remove the excess then there's a dust/chaffe attraction area, but if you fill the void and grease comes out, wipe the excess,  then "technically" there should be nothing getting back in there to flush out? And the velocities the spindles/pivot pin are moving they should not be excessive heat to melt the grease out in 15-25 hours spans?

The points I mentioned are not bearings like the ball and roller bearings used in many places.  With a steel shaft in a cast iron hole with no seals, operating in a real dirty environment, the only thing you can do is flush it out with fresh grease or disassemble and clean often.  No, heat is not an issue in these areas, the issue is dirt and no replaceable bearings, when worn too much it would take a machine shop to do a proper repair.  I have the shop to do the job, but I prefer to flush with grease.  That pile of grease is not a problem, it actually helps block entry of dust.

• Like 1

OldWorkHorse

Got the front wheels mounted and set on so can start mocking stuff up on the 1257Heavy lol. 22x7-10 fit pretty well... so far... 

20210204_140320.jpg

• Like 6
  • Excellent 1

WVHillbilly520H
2 hours ago, lynnmor said:

The points I mentioned are not bearings like the ball and roller bearings used in many places.  With a steel shaft in a cast iron hole with no seals, operating in a real dirty environment, I have the shop to do the job, but I prefer to flush with grease.  That pile of grease is not a problem, it actually helps block entry of dust.

Help me understand, 1) ok yes dirty environment no seals so on one hand " flush with more grease to begin with" 2) on the other hand ,  the pile blocks the dirt/dust so you shouldn't have to flush every session but more along the lines of XX amount hours between use? So if that's the case what I originally said still holds true from a technical standpoint.

Tractorhead
1 hour ago, KrazeyOlDave said:

There’s a storm’a comin :greetings-clappingyellow:

DBCF23DB-E5B2-4763-863D-7800207254DE.jpeg

D5AED4A1-A5FB-4A6D-AF90-024C045AEF6C.jpeg

Like you Doggie on the Seat.. 

btw, if you have an hydraulic Valve free, you can attach an hydraulic Swing.

Therefore i made a Quick connectors on the front of my Beast.

1D190151-55BD-4F75-89D0-CB98D99E8AA0.jpeg.206088f939df7a5de2e5b1f2c3bd5b3b.jpeg

You can see them below licenseplate on the passenger side.

if you route the third Valve to Quick connectors to the Fork, you can also lift and Swing.

just a tough.

• Like 4

Gregor

You have license plates on your tractors, AND you wash your socks. :confusion-confused:

Blizzard warning here also.

• Haha 3

squonk
6 hours ago, pullstart said:

I went ahead and pre-named the next WHX15 for ya!  16 can’t forget Madge!

BBBBC3CE-AE43-443B-A71A-D61DBB944C05.jpeg

1 vote for "Cheeze-Whiz!" :auto-dirtbike:

• Haha 3

ebinmaine

Needed to get some firewood outta the shed so I fired up the Cinnamon Horse C160 and pushed the snow back. 

Still amazes me how much this thing will push. 

I went into a bank that was quite solid and broke into 3 pieces. Pushed all 3 and much much more up to the left of the shed. 

IMG_20210204_194136034.jpg.98a25298e64a15bcf3d27f3adb38e7fb.jpg

IMG_20210204_194146689.jpg.0d6ac88f5a05e061c8819da6d8e900e1.jpg

And here's a bonus shot of me pulling a pulk sled fulla firewood. 

IMG_20210204_194106790.jpg

• Like 6
  • Excellent 3

Pullstart

All these tractahs... no spare plow hitch?  Geesh.  I guess I DO need MORE!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

ebinmaine
18 minutes ago, pullstart said:

All these tractahs... no spare plow hitch?  Geesh.  I guess I DO need MORE!

I'mma hitch. 

• Haha 2

Pullstart
29 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

I'mma hitch. 

Come over and push this around then :handgestures-thumbupright:

D87FA6FC-7B6B-4721-9CEC-D0FB0FC7F918.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

Horse Newbie
10 hours ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

I will agree to that to a point, if you don't remove the excess then there's a dust/chaffe attraction area, but if you fill the void and grease comes out, wipe the excess,  then "technically" there should be nothing getting back in there to flush out? And the velocities the spindles/pivot pin are moving they should not be excessive heat to melt the grease out in 15-25 hours spans? If I am wrong here okay I misunderstood the whole grease (semi-solid) vs oil (liquid) lubrication substrates thing... Now far as bearings go here's something to check out... https://ludeca.com/blog/lubrication/9345/three-myths-about-greasing-bearings/.

Okay I read the Myths About Greasing...I think it was myth 2 that said something like more grease would help cool...they said " no ", ...air space is what cools the bearing...

I'm trying to understand for instance on front hubs with grease nipple...you HAVE TO FILL the center of the hub before no more air space will cause the grease to move out to the bearings...right ?

Andy N.

We got about 2 more inches today and the wind is blowing. Needed to get it plowed tonight before the temp drops down to teens and single digits tomorrow. Added this rechargeable magnetic base rear light to the snow removal repertoire. So with that and the front flasher, I should be seen quite well by passer by's. Also picked up this little 2 stroke single stage Toro for $80 to use for snow blowing the path around the side of the house where the tractors don't fit.

IMG_0577.JPG

IMG_0570.JPG

• Like 5
  • Excellent 4

Tractorhead
43 minutes ago, Maxwell-8 said:

I am in the progress of painting some rims, but that is expensive. Our cheapest paint that still offers good quality is between 15-25$ depending on the color. I go thru almost 2 cans for all rims.

DSC_0315.JPG.dc27e5a367ecf661e03fd0567eff6c9a.JPG

My parents weren't really happy since those rims are hiding from the cold and drying in the laundry room. :D

Tell‘em it‘s a must, because this are Wheel Horse Rims.

😎

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 3