Ed Kennell

What have you done to your Wheel Horse today?

tom2p
23 minutes ago, Greentored said:

Making a long story short, swapping engines between ‘lawn duty’ 1277 and a charger 12 that runs much stronger. 
In 30+ years I’ve never had this happen, but since getting into WH’s I’ve heard the rumour. No way- someone is doing something VERY wrong to snap the threaded portion off the end of a crank. 
  Nope. 0 for 2. When the second one snapped I chalked it up to a bad omen, locked the shop with the tools still laid all over, and went to the beer fridge. 
Anyone ever had this happen? Supposedly drill n tap and set up like the magnums are? 

8AF09689-AEC7-4331-A190-2726B9E18064.jpeg

207C9426-24EC-4341-933B-C73541B70F08.jpeg

r u kidding me 

that has not happened to me - but lesser catastrophes have forced me to close up and head to the beer fridge 

• Haha 2

8ntruck
2 hours ago, ArturHawk said:

@8ntruck - A buddy game me some frames he made for tables. I added 1/2" screen on the top and 1/4" screen on the bottom.

Three scoops of dirt...shake...remove big gravel ...shake again...remove pea gravel from bottom...when dirt gets too high, empty cart.

Having the whole assembly on the trailer makes it easier to shake.

20201213_203651.jpg.508c5717bf998951a070f74144659bec.jpg

Sorry for the bad pic. I was lucky to have it in the background of the few pics I took.

Thanks. I figured it was a setup that had multiple screens. 

By the way, the picture is fine.

8ntruck
2 hours ago, ArturHawk said:

@8ntruck - A buddy game me some frames he made for tables. I added 1/2" screen on the top and 1/4" screen on the bottom.

Three scoops of dirt...shake...remove big gravel ...shake again...remove pea gravel from bottom...when dirt gets too high, empty cart.

Having the whole assembly on the trailer makes it easier to shake.

20201213_203651.jpg.508c5717bf998951a070f74144659bec.jpg

Sorry for the bad pic. I was lucky to have it in the background of the few pics I took.

Thanks. I figured it was a setup that had multiple screens. 

By the way, the picture is fine.

Sorry about the double post.  Had some sort of glitch that made it look like my first reply didn't post.

Edited by 8ntruck

Handy Don
2 hours ago, Greentored said:

Making a long story short, swapping engines between ‘lawn duty’ 1277 and a charger 12 that runs much stronger. 
In 30+ years I’ve never had this happen, but since getting into WH’s I’ve heard the rumour. No way- someone is doing something VERY wrong to snap the threaded portion off the end of a crank. 
  Nope. 0 for 2. When the second one snapped I chalked it up to a bad omen, locked the shop with the tools still laid all over, and went to the beer fridge. 
Anyone ever had this happen? Supposedly drill n tap and set up like the magnums are? 

Ouch, that woulda driven me to create a blue haze not go back to the shop for a couple of days.

• Like 1

ohiofarmer
12 hours ago, tom2p said:

hmmm

you use the Roloc bristles on aluminum side cases ?

I like the Roloc bristles - but thought they might be a bit too aggressive for aluminum side cases 

ohiofarmer
Just now, ohiofarmer said:

no, i guess I thought that rolloc was the way they fastened to the tool.. We just use the rather mild buff pads to bring them to a near mirror finish, but then you can see directional buffing swirls . We get the swirls out with a brushed finish, using sandpaper as described..  If we want a completely mirror finish we can use a polishing wheel. That's some pretty tough stuff to do around some of the complicated shapes a motorcycle case has, and the job for an expert. I am not an expert and the bikes I work on are not of that expense class anyway

ebinmaine
7 hours ago, Greentored said:

Anyone ever had this happen? Supposedly drill n tap

Had it happen to Trina's Pony engine. That is a Tecumseh though. 

I already had the crank out and I sent it out to have the nose drilled and tapped. 

• Like 1

Greentored
2 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Had it happen to Trina's Pony engine. That is a Tecumseh though. 

I already had the crank out and I sent it out to have the nose drilled and tapped. 

Well now that I know it can happen to engines other than Kohler I am SUPER confused, as I've probably removed 20 Kohler flywheels, but 1000 Briggs, Tekky, Predator, etc...

Yeah yeah, I know what a puller is, but have never had an issue with backing the nut off flush, a small prybar behind the flywheel, a small amount of force, and a good pop or two with a 'normal size' hammer.

Was actually more concerned with the comments I might receive than actually fixing the issue:lol:

• Like 2

WHX??

That down right sucks Green ... two of them??? How bizarre...not using an impact on them were you? I have never had it happen but heard horror stories of others. Lube the snot out of them is all a guy can do I guess. 

• Like 1

ebinmaine

I have a particular small engine shop that I go to up here and also our best friend has done a lot of small engine repairs in the past and both of them indicated that smaller Tecumseh engines may need to have the CORRECT tool used but the others have never been much of a problem

• Like 2

Greentored
45 minutes ago, WHX24 said:

That down right sucks Green ... two of them??? How bizarre...not using an impact on them were you? I have never had it happen but heard horror stories of others. Lube the snot out of them is all a guy can do I guess. 

No sir, never! 

Although I cant help but wonder what kind of abuse these things received over their 50+ year lifetime (like impact guns and gorillas with huge hammers)  and if some of us are the occasional chosen ones that it fails on....

PS- this happened while banging the end of the crank to pop the flywheels loose, not tightening.....

Edited by Greentored

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, Greentored said:

gorillas with huge hammers)  and if some of us are the occasional chosen ones that it fails on...

I'm quite sure I had a similar thing happen on my car as well when I tried to put back brakes on.

You wouldn't even believe it but I went and tried to spin the rear lug nuts on by hand and then tighten them by hand.

On one of them I had almost NO tension whatsoever and it rolled right off into the socket. 

Thinking my case it was the same basic thing when I broke the crankshaft nose on the little techie just like you have in your hand there. 

• Like 1

Tractorhead
5 hours ago, Greentored said:

No sir, never! 

Although I cant help but wonder what kind of abuse these things received over their 50+ year lifetime (like impact guns and gorillas with huge hammers)  

Gorillas.. 😂😂😂

i think you‘re right.

Sometimes the abuse before is set some marks they stay hidden for a while,
if you try to change anything you’re the one that gets the result of that abuse before.
Not nice but can happen.

i feared the same when i first pulled the Flywheel on my Teccy.

When i’m seeing also guy‘s they don‘t put the lug nuts on by hands, instead they the put ithem in impact wrench and taaarrrrrr.

Hard to keep me calm , about such a Craftman‘s knowledge..

Edited by Tractorhead
  • Like 4

Pullstart

Cleaning out the chicken coooook today...

what a crappy job.  I did manage to wreak havoc on a rodent population with my hoe!

AB3139D7-4F8C-453C-A9AA-4A1733CEAFD1.jpeg

• Like 7

Pullstart

A little nitrogen on next year’s food plot...

03C597EF-5DD8-4EB9-9713-279C9ADFA7A0.jpeg

• Like 8

rjg854

Today was a day off because we couldn't get into the addition of the house were working on, owner wasn't going to be there. So..... I changed the axle and brake drum seals on the 854's transmission. When I have more time I'll swap the transmission out that is in there now. I had already swapped out the transmission with one that was supposedly rebuilt. There's a lot of noise in all but 3rd gear. More on that in the transmission forum.

• Like 3

Tractorhead

Got a Phonecall today from the Powdercoating company.

They told me i can definitely pickup my Rim‘s on Monday,

they will finalize it either Way before Christmas.

• Like 5

D_Mac

I was like a kid when I woke up this morning. I heard we were going to get a little snow last night. I been dying to try the plow on my 857. I woke up got dressed and couldnt wait to get to the garage. Well we didnt get hardly any snow. Pushed it out into the driveway..... took some pictures of it . You guys tired of it yet ? lol . Then I rolled it back into the garage. I figure these tractors are like a pretty woman.... never get tired of looking at a pretty woman. Soon... soon there will be enough snow to push. I only want to try it once, then I will be happy if it didnt snow again all season.

20201215_112518.jpg

20201215_112452.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Tractorhead
26 minutes ago, D_Mac said:

I was like a kid when I woke up this morning. I heard we were going to get a little snow last night. I been dying to try the plow on my 857. I woke up got dressed and couldnt wait to get to the garage. Well we didnt get hardly any snow. Pushed it out into the driveway..... took some pictures of it . You guys tired of it yet ? lol . Then I rolled it back into the garage. I figure these tractors are like a pretty woman.... never get tired of looking at a pretty woman. Soon... soon there will be enough snow to push. I only want to try it once, then I will be happy if it didnt snow again all season.

20201215_112518.jpg

Don‘t be afraid, that‘s totally normal.

greet‘s over the Big Pond from Stefan, who‘s still waiting for the first Snow to Play....👍

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8ntruck
On 12/14/2020 at 7:25 AM, Greentored said:

No sir, never! 

Although I cant help but wonder what kind of abuse these things received over their 50+ year lifetime (like impact guns and gorillas with huge hammers)  and if some of us are the occasional chosen ones that it fails on....

PS- this happened while banging the end of the crank to pop the flywheels loose, not tightening.....

I don't suppose you have a good picture of the fracture faces on those parts?

The pattern left on the fracture face can give clues as to why it failed.  I learned how to read some of these patterns during my engineering career.

• Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

Jhook

Does this oil look a little odd to any of you? Its from the ch15s engine in my 315. It has 10 full throttle hours on it and it almost looks too clean maybe even a little bit of a streak in it? Idk i could be paranoid for nothing. Just checked it cause ill be pushing snow the next 2 days in MA also its not overfilled, the stick was out for a minute while i ran inside to take a pic so the oil spread out 

20201215_180612.jpg

20201215_180605.jpg

953 nut

:confusion-confused:           That milkshake look could be due to some moisture (condensation or water) in the oil.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

Greentored
1 hour ago, 8ntruck said:

I don't suppose you have a good picture of the fracture faces on those parts?

The pattern left on the fracture face can give clues as to why it failed.  I learned how to read some of these patterns during my engineering career.

I’ll take a couple and post up next time I’m up there. 👍

953 nut
1 hour ago, 8ntruck said:

pattern left on the fracture face can give clues as to why it failed.  I learned how to read some of these patterns during my engineering career.

What do you think took this axle out of service?

102_3288.JPG.56f43c2bce3da90512f6e659791db113.JPG

• Haha 1

ebinmaine
9 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

What do you think took this axle out of service?

102_3288.JPG.56f43c2bce3da90512f6e659791db113.JPG

Looks worn.