Ed Kennell

What have you done to your Wheel Horse today?

echris
47 minutes ago, Jhook said:

New idler pulley today from tractor supply. I have the toro part on order but need the machine moveable this weekend. Bought a new 5/8x84 belt as well. Thats what came off the tractor not sure if its original size as the motors been swapped. Well when the toro pulley arrives i may swap it on but i will try the tsc pulley, itll be nice to know if parts i can buy in store 5 mins away work well or not. 

20201127_193142.jpg

20201127_193133.jpg

It's handy having a local place where you can at least find generic parts. I do the same when I need something quick if I can find it local, and then order the OEM for backup.
A crappy $5 idler that get's you back to work is usually worth it. As long as it's a quick change. Sometimes you get lucky and the crappy $5 idler is quite nice.

You might wanna order that return spring too. She looks like she's about to get all boingy in the wrong direction. :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Jhook
11 minutes ago, echris said:

It's handy having a local place where you can at least find generic parts. I do the same when I need something quick if I can find it local, and then order the OEM for backup.
A crappy $5 idler that get's you back to work is usually worth it. As long as it's a quick change. Sometimes you get lucky and the crappy $5 idler is quite nice.

You might wanna order that return spring too. She looks like she's about to get all boingy in the wrong direction. :)

I should have grabbed one while i was there. I looked right at em then assured myself i had everything i needed. They still haven't restocked from a week ago when i cleaned them out of clevis pins. Need 4 more for the loader still

Jhook

Also sold the snow cab today. Never got around to mounting it to the 315 and dont have time now that i have the charger loader project. Paid 125 and spent 60 on vinyl and an hour of labor replacing 2 windows. Sold it for 250 and im happy,  more importantly the buyer was happy and is probably at home now throwing it on his c121 or whatever model he had. 

• Like 2

Jhook

Loading the rear tires now for the charger👍

20201128_162145.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Jhook

20201128_162906.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

Lee1977

Fixed a flat tire on my 312 couldn't find a thing wrong with the tire but the tube had a hole in it. Pulled it off and patched the tube.

Took longer then it should have looking for the patches and glue. Getting it back on gave me a little trouble but once I clamped  a small set 

of vice-grips on the edge of the rim it went back on. Those little 400 x 8  4 ply Triribs are stiff and the 3" rims don't help any either.

• Like 3

Rob R

Yup they can get stiff with age and cold weather next time use a heat gun to heat the side walls makes a big difference..... just saying........p.s. I also use a Vice grip pliers to hold the started bead. 

Edited by Rob R
  • Like 3

ebinmaine
7 minutes ago, Rob R said:

next time use a heat gun to heat the side walls

Blow-dryer works well too. 

Also usable and high functioning (but somewhat risky) is to have the swmbo get to talking about her favorite subject then hold the tire/wheel up to her face. Voluminous volumes of hot air exiting the area will quickly bring the tire to a pliable temp. 

On  particularly stubborn or very old tires one can get the speaker angry first  :ranting:

Then repeat the first step. 

:hide:

• Haha 5

SylvanLakeWH
44 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Also usable and high functioning (but somewhat risky) is to have the swmbo get to talking about her favorite subject then hold the tire/wheel up to her face. Voluminous volumes of hot air exiting the area will quickly bring the tire to a pliable temp. 

On  particularly stubborn or very old tires one can get the speaker angry first  :ranting:

Oh...be... afraid...very...afraid... :naughty:

Brave man or very very uhm... cranially challenged...? :ROTF:

• Haha 2

ebinmaine
6 minutes ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

Brave man or very very uhm... cranially challenged

I am only one of these. 

It isn't brave.  

• Like 1

R Scheer
1 hour ago, ebinmaine said:

Blow-dryer works well too. 

I suspect using this method you won't be worrying about a flat tire, you may not be worrying about anything else either.

• Haha 2

Lee1977

Work it, but buy a few more so you can keep it nice. I had only one for 37 years. It's still a nice tractor has a few small dents been painted once, most of the original decals are still there. All of the bearings have been changed once and some twice.

Oilite bushings have been added to the PTO shaft and the clutch. The axle pivot has been rebuilt, tie rods replaced wit heims joints, has trailer wheels and spindles. The engine has been replaced twice. It's not a collector's tractor It's a worker.

It still mows not as often now that I have three with decks. I has vacuum attach set-up so it gets that job.

SAM-1222.jpg

SAM-1223.jpg

SAM-1221.jpg

SAM-1219.jpg

Edited by Lee1977
  • Like 6

19richie66

Nice Lee!

Jhook

Trans passes the test i believe, pulled it up against a tree after warm up and it spun the tire with me on it, liquid ballast, and a 50 pound wheel weight. The parking brake shaft is ziptied in the down position until i get the opportunity to split the trans. But i cant have this thing in the driveway and just let it sit. I had to have some fun with it so played around for about 30 mins today in the yard, mainly testing the loader out. It has all new pins now which are nice and tight but it appears that im going to need a new hydraulic pump. I have been looking at a "2.9gpm/2000 rpm(rated)-5.2gpm/3600 rpm(max)" pump. Other than that i see some lines blowing in the near future and the subframe is on the to do list as well. Happy with the machine and still should be under 1700 bucks all said and done. The kohler k301s seems to run good and has nice clean oil in it. I like the old engine just as much as the CH15S in my 2007!

Snapchat-1793476548.jpg

20201129_111706.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

ebinmaine
4 minutes ago, Jhook said:

new hydraulic pump

Where is the pump? Separate from the transmission?

Jhook
1 minute ago, ebinmaine said:

Where is the pump? Separate from the transmission?

The hydraulic pump for the loader. Its mounted to the loader frame amd driven by the engines pto 

• Like 2

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, Jhook said:

The hydraulic pump for the loader. Its mounted to the loader frame amd driven by the engines pto 

Ahh. 

Never seen one up close so I figured it was powered by the transmission fluid pump. 

rmaynard

I got a little attachment to pull around in the spring.

aer2.jpg.2d85d1f14ba584bbce8758fa65e458c0.jpg

aer11.jpg.1cc00a47202702c55ac12ec369e66b21.jpg

• Like 4

Jhook
7 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Ahh. 

Never seen one up close so I figured it was powered by the transmission fluid pump. 

Heres the setup, note the welds are not mine and the fab work is not mine. Mine would look professional compared to this and im not too great honestly

20201129_121352.jpg

20201129_121344.jpg

20201129_121404.jpg

• Like 1

Herder
6 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Ahh. 

The pump on the 1054 is mounted in front of the right foot rest and is run off the PTO

IMG_1467.JPG.11288a9e60c81f2c67d942ba5a3b4f4d.JPG

• Like 2

Jhook
1 minute ago, Herder said:

The pump on the 1054 is mounted in front of the right foot rest and is run off the PTO

IMG_1467.JPG.11288a9e60c81f2c67d942ba5a3b4f4d.JPG

That looks wicked nice. I like the loader and the machine. Looks like the same johnson that i have? Just not nearly as used 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Tractorhead

If it‘s not leaking, what is the reason for a new Pump?

do you know the Lift Force how much it can lift?

Normally on a Hydraulics is somewhere a filter in, mostly in return or the suction line.

if that filter clogged, your hydraulic pump wasn‘t able to suck enough oil to lift the Load,

if it‘s able to lift 200 pounds i see no need for a new Pump.

To see what happen on the hydraulic Side, you can add an T with an Hydraulic pressure gauge

on the intake line on the Valves.

the oilflow just give you an indicator how fast your hydraulic can work, but not really how strong it is.

Therefore lot‘s of hydraulic Valveblocks have a additional adjustable pressure restriction valve in parallel.

If the hydraulic pressure exceeds the preinstalled value, a bypass opened and reduces the hydraulic pressure

to the adjusted limit.

• Like 1

Jhook
4 minutes ago, Tractorhead said:

If it‘s not leaking, what is the reason for a new Pump?

do you know the Lift Force how much it can lift?

Normally on a Hydraulics is somewhere a filter in, mostly in return or the suction line.

if that filter clogged, your hydraulic pump wasn‘t able to suck enough oil to lift the Load,

if it‘s able to lift 200 pounds i see no need for a new Pump.

To see what happen on the hydraulic Side, you can add an T with an Hydraulic pressure gauge

on the intake line on the Valves.

the oilflow just give you an indicator how fast your hydraulic can work, but not really how strong it is.

Therefore lot‘s of hydraulic Valveblocks have a additional adjustable pressure restriction valve in parallel.

If the hydraulic pressure exceeds the preinstalled value, a bypass opened and reduces the hydraulic pressure

to the adjusted limit.

The pump leaked a few ounces of fluid on a short drive down the hill. The tire was completely covered and pump was dripping. Stopped and check fluid level, its over half full so that's fine. Didnt leak any more after that at all. Not sure why. Also the pump bracket is welded in crooked putting stress on the shaft. It is all wet around the shaft. Thoughts on this one? 

Screenshot_20201129-123827_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20201129-124718_Chrome.jpg

ebinmaine
7 minutes ago, Jhook said:

Didnt leak any more after that at all. Not sure why

Before you spend good money after bad, figure out where the actual problem is. 

If you remove the pump and garbage bracket you may be able to put a seal kit in it and remount the whole assembly. 

• Like 2

Jhook
2 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Before you spend good money after bad, figure out where the actual problem is. 

If you remove the pump and garbage bracket you may be able to put a seal kit in it and remount the whole assembly. 

The pump in it has a shaft smaller than 1/2 inch which is not up to par for the application. 1/2 inch or smaller shaft needs to be direct driven. It doesnt have the strength to handle the side-load that gets put on it when it's run by a belt. So even if i did re seal it, id have to take it off in a few hours anyways cause its not designed to be used this way. The pulley is welded crooked to the shaft also😂 i wish i got the machine as a basket case i could have assembled it much nicer

• Like 1