Ed Kennell

What have you done to your Wheel Horse today?

ebinmaine
42 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

Good info Mike.    We should also note, unlike baling wire and duct tape, these zippy ties are non-corrosive and waterproof.

I hate to get all "rock paper scissors"  on you here Ed but it is also important to note that although not waterproof, the bailing wire or mechanics wire is far more resistant to the highly damaging ultraviolet rays of the sun..

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Ed Kennell
9 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

I hate to get all "rock paper scissors"  on you here Ed but it is also important to note that although not waterproof, the bailing wire or mechanics wire is far more resistant to the highly damaging ultraviolet rays of the sun..

True Eric, but have you seen the Squonk's analysis on white and black zip ties.

It's clear only black zip ties should be used for repairs on outside working tractors.

White or black will work on the museum Queens that never venture out into the sunlight.

• Like 1

ebinmaine
4 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

True Eric, but have you seen the Squonk's analysis on white and black zip ties.

It's clear only black zip ties should be used for repairs on outside working tractors.

White or black will work on the museum Queens that never venture out into the sunlight.

1 hour ago, squonk said:

The white tie straps are good for 6 month's or 6000 miles. The black have better uv ratings and are good for 2 years unlimited miles. :D

I did actually miss that post. Thank you for bringing to my attention. It's good to know that we have multiple options there. 

Ed Kennell

Well, this has been fun while waiting for the hurricane to move on, but  think I better find something productive to do.

This guy on my front porch is also losing it.

102_2291.JPG.42d50bcc304524d8d6dd5a1c707de70c.JPG

Happy Halloween from   Heads up Harry.    :occasion-happyhalloween:

• Like 1
  • Haha 8
  • Sad 1

Lane Ranger
1 hour ago, pullstart said:

:text-welcomeconfetti: to RedSquare and :text-thankyouyellow:for becoming a supporting member so soon!

A cheap and very good fix for these tie rods is the Earl McEvers fix!  The late Earl McEvers was in his 90’s when he showed me these clips that could be placed on old tie rods that had worn connections.   I have used them on some of my older tractors and they work great.   You might buy newer tie rods but these clips would cost you a fraction of the $ to make. 

EE4EEB16-930D-40D0-949F-3813774FC738.jpeg

56096040-9ABF-4AEF-8365-72F02D465DD0.jpeg

A0ED5A5E-ED7F-4A93-9C29-309C3C7B3039.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Lee1977
15 hours ago, Bostman67 said:

I did some exploring into some of the issues I may be facing with my recent purchased of a 1277 Wheel Horse from 1967.

B821B27A-A4E4-41F8-8EFA-E61E5B221224.jpeg

AE34CBCE-9F1C-492E-BAFE-44BB416547C2.jpeg

D2D3B174-234B-4830-8660-E2D9312B6307.jpeg

That was an amateur at a good farm fix with bailing wire.  I'll have to say he was improving with the left tie rod on the triangle. .

• Like 3

echris
1 hour ago, Ed Kennell said:

I wouldn't necessarily hang my hat on that. I ordered a bunch of 4" black ties from Monoprice.com to use for computer wire harnesses. They seemed really nice and flexible when I opened the bag.

They sat on my bench in a bin under a fluorescent lamp. After a few months they became so brittle they would snap when you used them. I looked at a new bag and it said, "Do not open until ready for use" :roll:

Here's a bag.

IMG_20201012_112805.jpg

Edited by echris
  • Like 2

Lee1977
4 minutes ago, echris said:

I wouldn't necessarily hang my hat on that. I ordered a bunch of 4" black ties from Monoprice.com to use for computer wire harnesses. They seemed really nice and flexible when I opened the bag.

They sat on my bench in a bin under a fluorescent lamp. After a few months they became so brittle they would snap when you used them. I looked at a new bag and it said, "Do not open until ready for use" :roll:

Here's a bag.

IMG_20201012_112805.jpg

It also said "Made in China".

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

lynnmor

It also says NYLON66, that is a lie because it would have good UV resistance if it were.

• Like 3

Tractorhead

They be available in different quality sizes.

maybe they be extremely cheap ?

• Like 2

8ntruck
13 hours ago, echris said:

I convinced my father-in-law years ago that nobody needs to go swimming to install or remove the docks. He has a typical design, dock brackets with ~1 1/2" steel pipe.
We used a foam float about 4'x2'x1'. To install, lay the float in the water, lay the dock section on top, ratchet strap the two together and float the dock into position. Secure the new section to the nearest shore dock section, lay decking down, walk out with your pipe, and drive it in. Level the section, secure the set screw. Repeat.

Same goes for removing. No need for swimming.

And also, :wh:

I am using dock hardware manufactured by Tommy Dock.  Neat system, but they are very proud of their product$.  They do offer 'flotation logs' and a winch to install and remove the dock sections as you describe.

Got to thinking about that system while I was working yesterday.  My dock sections have three 2x6 stringers topped with 5/4 deck boards, so they are pretty heavy.  They will need to be floated into position along side the sections already installed.  A couple sheets of 2" pink or blue foam, my come along, and some 2x4's might make a reasonable copy.  Something to put off and consider next spring 

• Thanks 1

8ntruck
13 hours ago, echris said:

I convinced my father-in-law years ago that nobody needs to go swimming to install or remove the docks. He has a typical design, dock brackets with ~1 1/2" steel pipe.
We used a foam float about 4'x2'x1'. To install, lay the float in the water, lay the dock section on top, ratchet strap the two together and float the dock into position. Secure the new section to the nearest shore dock section, lay decking down, walk out with your pipe, and drive it in. Level the section, secure the set screw. Repeat.

Same goes for removing. No need for swimming.

And also, :wh:

Computer glitch.  Sorry about the double post.

I am using dock hardware manufactured by Tommy Dock.  Neat system, but they are very proud of their product$.  They do offer 'flotation logs' and a winch to install and remove the dock sections as you describe.

Got to thinking about that system while I was working yesterday.  My dock sections have three 2x6 stringers topped with 5/4 deck boards, so they are pretty heavy.  They will need to be floated into position along side the sections already installed.  A couple sheets of 2" pink or blue foam, my come along, and some 2x4's might make a reasonable copy.  Something to put off and consider next spring 

Edited by 8ntruck

sqrlgtr

image.jpeg.25750e7e9bacb2c185070cd8cd2b5376.jpegchanged hydro fluid in gt14

• Excellent 1
  • Heart 1

sqrlgtr

Tried to put video up off of you tube and cant figure it out:blink:...

squonk
21 minutes ago, sqrlgtr said:

Tried to put video up off of you tube and cant figure it out:blink:...

Copy the video url and paste it

• Sad 1

sqrlgtr
18 minutes ago, squonk said:

Copy the video url and paste it

Where do you find that url Ive copied and pasted before but I cant seem to figure it out..... 

sqrlgtr

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Heart 3

sqrlgtr

success had to get on my chromebook and do it still aint figured iphone out yet:D....

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

lynnmor

You better lay in a few extra cans of gas.

• Like 4

sqrlgtr
3 minutes ago, lynnmor said:

LOL.thats my niece pulling pilot duty,she started on my 73 no name 12hp but said she likes this one the best :D.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

johnnymag3

Funny how most girls / guys dont know or remember the REAL names

Jhook

More winter prep today. Started loading my tires and have 1 done as of now. Went from 30 pounds to 96 pounds at 12psi tubeless. Quite a bit of weight should help with plowing 

20201012_185326.jpg

20201012_193547.jpg

• Thanks 1

ebinmaine
34 minutes ago, lynnmor said:

Agreed. 

Super cool !!!!

sqrlgtr
19 minutes ago, johnnymag3 said:

Funny how most girls / guys dont know or remember the REAL names

I think thats what they called the 1973 year tractors the no name tractors cause all they had was the hp decal on them(10hp,12hp,14hp,16hp)

• Like 1