Ed Kennell

What have you done to your Wheel Horse today?

Boat guy

What did I do to the wheelhorse today, well I beat the heck out of him! I mowed a whole bunch of overgrown  trees and brush..extremely deep waist high . threw a couple pictures in their for all to see. P. O.  had pullys on backwards or running backwards or something, ..It would not cut.  He had been using it with the dull side of the blade ( the lift side) as the main direction for cutting... I don't know what way they are supposed to turn but I rearrange the pullys so that all  Blades are cutting properly and turning the right way.  But it does not look right to me. I included some pictures of the pulleys upfront don't know if I've got them set up the right way all of this was buggered up and as the pictures show a whole bunch of extra washers were in there instead of taking the time to make bushings to keep the pulleys apart as I did..   Was also wondering where those headlights on mine stock or were they added on.    Halfway through mowing the front main pulley came off The mower deck and I ran it over while the blades were still turning, put a little Dent in it but nothing my wizz wheel with a thin blade couldn't smooth out and make OK. The bolt was not there, found a hardened bolt proper size in my shop and put back together works great ..finished the rest of the job. Nice little machine wish it was 4 wheel drive!  I estimated on the space between the front pulleys as he had a load of washer's in there instead of a bushing .. still haven't messed  With the charging system other than replacing the burnt plug....    :) G.

20200621_211057.jpg

20200621_164909.jpg

20200621_160532.jpg

20200621_160528.jpg

20200621_160330.jpg

• Like 8

echris

The flat idler pulley should be on the outside, and the v pulley should be on the inside. They're reversed in the photos above.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine

@Boat guy nice work.

Great to see a machine getting the right care and being well used.

The headlights are an add on and IMHO look great.

If you want more traction you can add weight by fluid filling the tires, add steel, or get some chains for areas that are rough and the marks won't be an issue.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

WHX??

:WRS: Boat Guy... I see he's got your color blindness EB :ychain:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Stormin
14 minutes ago, WHX24 said:

:WRS: Boat Guy... I see he's got your color blindness EB :ychain:

Colour blindness? Not Eric. Paint department is down to Trina. :D

Edited by Stormin
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

WHX??
2 minutes ago, Stormin said:

That's nowt' to do with Eric. That's Trina's department. :D

True Norm... I think he encourages her tho! :D

• Thanks 1

Stormin

I'd best add she's got good taste. Just in case we ever meet.

• Haha 4

Boat guy
7 hours ago, echris said:

The flat idler pulley should be on the outside, and the v pulley should be on the inside. They're reversed in the photos above.

Thanks Guys ..

So as I'm sitting on the tractor looking at the left side of the mower deck should the blades be spinning clockwise or counter clockwise?   Do I have the belt correct around the PTO pulley? Just seems not right to me..   All the blades seem to be new as the sharp edge was never used,   And they are all the same length which I don't think is correct either. Anybody have part numbers for the correct blades and I will order them. I ordered maintenance manuals and owner's manuals allready, just not here yet. G.

• Like 1

Boat guy

I guess it kind of does look like a screaming yellow Zonker... !  (Peter Max)   Lol

• Haha 2

Stormin

All blades should be the same length. Rotating clockwise looking down on the top of the deck. I know it may sound daft, but are they the right way up?

• Like 2

ebinmaine
2 hours ago, WHX24 said:

True Norm... I think he encourages her tho! :D

I'm not going to deny that

2 hours ago, Stormin said:

I'd best add she's got good taste. 

In a general manner of speaking I would say that's true. She has a very artistic eye as you all know and she certainly has the ability to put good color combinations together.

She is quite capable of turning a vision from her mind's eye into reality which a lot of people including myself struggle with.

But here's where things head sideways.

You know she's not quite all there or at least has some sort of psychological issues because she moved into my house and she keeps choosing to come back every day.

• Haha 7
  • Heart 1

Boat guy
2 hours ago, Stormin said:

All blades should be the same length. Rotating clockwise looking down on the top of the deck. I know it may sound daft, but are they the right way up?

When I got it, the p.o  Was using it with the lift side of the blade as the cutting edge with the sharp edge behind it, I can't remember what way they were turning but if I flipped the blade to the correct position to cut .. the lift portion was faceing down. So I put the blades back the other way and changed the  Mule pulleys around and flipped the belt on the p.t.o  So i didn't tear up the belt and that's where I used it, but I can see that it's not right. Is there such thing as a left handed blade? Or whatever?   And thanks for the help and input. I really appreciate it. ;)

• Like 1

squonk
10 hours ago, echris said:

You want it to look like this:

IMG_2026.JPG.bccec3046eabe1f1f0d9164381140238.JPG

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

echris
8 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

If you want more traction you can add weight by fluid filling the tires....

You're bringing back nightmares from my youth. As low man on the totem pole, I did battle with many giant tractors tires that were filled with decades old water and rusted solid to the rim. :sad:

• Like 2

ebinmaine
2 minutes ago, echris said:

You're bringing back nightmares from my youth. As low man on the totem pole, I did battle with many giant tractors tires that were filled with decades old water and rusted solid to the rim. :sad:

Calcium chloride. Nasty stuff for sure.

I had mine filled with rim guard. Sugar substitute.

Lee1977
3 hours ago, Stormin said:

Colour blindness? Not Eric. Paint department is down to Trina. :D

Might be his brain froze up there in the Great White North. I hoped he would get down to the Wheel Horse so maybe it would thaw out. No luck this year he'll probably have Trina paint them Purple next year.

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, Lee1977 said:

Purple

:omg:

:no:

Can't do purple. Not a fan...

Also Can't do the same color as any other tractor brand.

• Like 3

Ed Kennell

I brought a few horses home from winter storage.    There might be some horse trading happening at Ed Dogs this week.

102_1881.JPG.3b60922484f1d962129517783ae5aa26.JPG102_1882.JPG.9a2b3f5c29f1d9d079eb133fa509ac23.JPG102_1884.JPG.5d003f4bb021fc121db79b2d564da66a.JPG

• Like 1
  • Excellent 5
  • Heart 1

D_Mac

I changed the oil, put a new air filter in. Took off the blower housing and blew out the mouse nest that was up under there. He chewed up a wire a little bit. I didnt have any heat shrink tubing for the wire so I just taped it up. Should be ok. It ran really good before hand. Tried looking at the clutch but since it isnt at my house I had to leave before I figured it out. When I press down on the clutch pedal I have to let off some or press harder to find the sweet spot before it will let me put it in or out of gear. The brake pedal leans to far forward too and the parking brake wont engage.. Need more time with it to see whats going on, See the position of the brake pedal in the photo? Suggestions?

20200617_103727.jpg

• Like 1

johnnymag3

D-Mac......did something become disconnected on the brake pedal assembly?

D_Mac
2 minutes ago, johnnymag3 said:

D-Mac......did something become disconnected on the brake pedal assembly?

Thats the way I picked it up. Brakes work when you press the pedal. Just the position of the pedal and the parking brake dosnt engage. The brakes do work though.

johnnymag3

Ive never seen a pedal that far back to the drivers foot. It a very unorthodox position to try to use....

did you look to see if something broke on the pedal ?

Boat guy
4 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

Boat guy, you should start a new thread in the implements section to get results on your deck question.   This thread is a general thread that does not address specific questions or problems.  The questions and replies  get lost  among all the non related chatter.

To summarize what has been stated above in several posts;

your mule drive pulleys are not correct

there should not be a twist in the belt

the blades should turn CW viewed from above

all blades should be the same length...they will not hit due to the center blade being forward of the side blades

If you have the blades on the spindle right side up and you have to twist the belt and make the blades turn CCW to cut, you have a left hand set of blades.

Left hand blades turning CCW may cut, but they will not discharge the cuttings across the front of the deck properly and the deck belt tensioner will not work properly.

Here is a pic of what your blade should look like.   You can see the blade must turn CW  viewed from above.

102_1886.JPG.6e8613224c52a28ea28b225823ad2132.JPG

Previous owner put a left hand set of blades on it.... now I understand why everything was backwards. Thank you guys I will place any questions in a different area.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

echris
45 minutes ago, D_Mac said:

I changed the oil, put a new air filter in. Took off the blower housing and blew out the mouse nest that was up under there. He chewed up a wire a little bit. I didnt have any heat shrink tubing for the wire so I just taped it up. Should be ok. It ran really good before hand. Tried looking at the clutch but since it isnt at my house I had to leave before I figured it out. When I press down on the clutch pedal I have to let off some or press harder to find the sweet spot before it will let me put it in or out of gear. The brake pedal leans to far forward too and the parking brake wont engage.. Need more time with it to see whats going on, See the position of the brake pedal in the photo? Suggestions?

20200617_103727.jpg

The brake pedal might just be a bent or misaligned footrest. Those models have a boss on the lower brake pedal that contacts the footrest as a stop.

brake.jpg.458fbc0fd9fee51482eb18dcb989bb07.jpg

With the clutch, the belt guide on the drive belt idler pulley should lock the belt tight when depressed, preventing the tractor from creeping when in gear. I would think most likely that's the problem, the drive belt is creeping when you have it partway depressed so the trans can't shift.