Ed Kennell

What have you done to your Wheel Horse today?

8ntruck
20 hours ago, pullstart said:

Bill I imagine running over a pile of 100 dollar bills and running right up the shoot :ROTF:  

Nah.  Wouldn't work.  Those $100 bills are not as slippery as chrome, nor would they stick to the inside of the chute as well as the chrome.

Edited by 8ntruck
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Tractorhead

Basically i know it and did it mostly this Way, but sometimes i don‘t, 

especially in last Winter with my FEL Actions i had some situations i needed urgently a stronger Brake.

So i have to missuse the Gear sometimes as „Brake“ when the original Spring doesn’t work strong enough.

This bricks are tiny and a regular adjusting sometimes once a day must be done with original Spring.

Even if the brick are thick enough, i just loosin massive Brakeforce and must readjusted to stop.

The whole mechanics is well maintained and works very easy (can be moved with a lightly fingertip) 

The shifting with released Clutch allway‘s work noisless and forceless in my case if i release clutch.

The Pearless disc brakes ain‘t wear pretty fast but they must be readjusted very often,

even a Wear on the Bricks was not really measurable. ( just fracts of) 

a 1/10 mm wear was allready a disaster at the Brake and ends up with nearly completely loss of brakeforce,

so i decided to go this Way.

I changed simply the original spring with a improved much stronger Spring that was able to push easily 18Kilos.

( yes i know a lot of force but i didn‘t want it without springload) 

I guessed it must double the original size, but the spring i buyed optical it was tripple the size in diameter of Wire.

I attach it with a short Threaded rod on one Side screwed with a Balljoint and on the other side with a squarejoint.

So i‘m able to adjust it, that it engages later than with the Original spring,

but with the improved Spring, i have a even more efficient Brake than before at smaller Shift on the Lever.

Another benefit of that Action was, that i have more active work length ( means less adjusting needed)

about the same Lever with that small changings and i can roll with released clutch than brake on one Pedal

at the same lever as before.

The new adjusting was done as follow:

The whole Pedalway i can use was measured completely at 12cm

The clutch releases completely at less than half Pedalway, what i verified at the Gearspindle with on tyre on floor.

i can rotate the spindle and the bigger Pulley runs free in the Belt.

After that was happen, i give it another 20mm Pedalway and fix the Pedal temporarily at this setup.

i also marked that setting for future purposes to readjusting.

now i adjusted the New Preloadspring that it begins lightly to grind on the Brakedisc.

i repeat this marked settings 5 times and it seems to work perfectly

At least i did a Testdrive with that new setup and Whow, impressive Brakes now.

curious how long they last before next adjustments will be needed.

Basicly i planed before to split the both systems, once a „new added“ Pedal on the left from a gt14 i had here allready

and the Brake separately on the original pedal similar to a Car.

but after that rework, i found no longer a need for.

• Like 2

MikMacMike

Well some things on Big Red are lookin new again, gave the block a cleanen, the head was just caked, so cleaned it all up, ran thread chasers through all holes and dies on all bolts, installed head and torked her up. I was always wondering why she ran hot...those stupid mud wasps had 3/4 of the block fins and 1/2 the head fins caked with there mud nests. Almost half a cup of there spit mud.....i forgot how deap the cooling fins are in the block, long bycycle spoke was my saving tool to get all there mud nests out. Wew this ol farts had it for today, night all.

image20191214_134755949[1].jpg

image20191215_160739741[1].jpg

image20191215_194855968[1].jpg

• Like 5

tom2p
4 hours ago, 8ntruck said:

Nah.  Wouldn't work.  Those $100 bills are not as slippery as chrome, nor would they stick to the inside of the chute as well as the chrome.

UHMW plastic ;  Ultra High Molecular Weight plastic (polyethylene)

high density - high strength - high abrasion resistant - chemical resistant - with low coefficient of friction and self lubricating 

this would be ideal material for a chute 

snow sticks to metal - especially when cold and wet 

this is why snowmobile skis and ski skins are made of UHMW plastic 

significant difference / improvement compared to the old metal skis 

Edited by tom2p

MikMacMike
37 minutes ago, tom2p said:

UHMW plastic ;  Ultra High Molecular Weight plastic (polyethylene)

high density - high strength - high abrasion resistant - chemical resistant - with low coefficient of friction and self lubricating 

this would be ideal material for a chute 

snow sticks to metal - especially when cold and wet 

this is why snowmobile skis and ski skins are made of UHMW plastic 

significant difference / improvement compared to the old metal skis 

Hmmmmm very good point tom2p, a shoot made of plastic, dang cheap too!

Tractorhead

Hi tom2p

if you go to plastics, i would preferr Polypropylene it has also it‘s advance for an complete inlay and the chute.

Can be drilled and milled, can be soldered, highly resistant against damages even if Cold, also selflubricated,

available as Pipes for draining, can be formed with heat (hot air Gun), just must be cutted and will be inserted by rivets.

MikMacMike
16 hours ago, Tractorhead said:

Hi tom2p

if you go to plastics, i would preferr Polypropylene it has also it‘s advance for an complete inlay and the chute.

Can be drilled and milled, can be soldered, highly resistant against damages even if Cold, also selflubricated,

available as Pipes for draining, can be formed with heat (hot air Gun), just must be cutted and will be inserted by rivets.

Absolutly tom2p.....also what popped into my mind when you said plastic is....do you remeber the kids used to have these flying carpet sleds? they'd roll them up under there arm everytime the made the trek back up the hill for another slide....Im not too sure what type of plastic it is but it sure was slippery as heck. Whats nice about it is you can still keek the origonal steel shoot but line it via a glue or rivets to the inside with those flying tobogan plastics.....tell me if you think thats an idea or do they even sell them anymore? lol

R Scheer

Funny thing is I ordered one of those roll up sleds to line the chute on my blower.  Unfortunately the delivery date keeps being pushed back.  When I get it installed I'll update with the results.

I can't take credit for this, I read the idea somewhere else.

8ntruck

Took delivery of wheel studs and lug nuts today.  Will be a conversion this winter project if we get back up to the 'alternate location'.  Will be springtime if we don't.

Oh, yea.  Was checking numbers on old Powerball tickets this afternoon.  Got a winner!  $4 for matching the powerball - oooh:greetings-clappingyellow:

Edited by 8ntruck
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 2

MikMacMike
40 minutes ago, R Scheer said:

Funny thing is I ordered one of those roll up sleds to line the chute on my blower.  Unfortunately the delivery date keeps being pushed back.  When I get it installed I'll update with the results.

Hey ya R Scheer way ta go....where did you order them from?....of coarse the 1st place I thought that might have em is Crappy Tire or even Walfart??? Either way Tom2P I think is right on the money....those dam things were wickedly slippery. Ya please do ....if you get it installed before I try it let me know ok bro.

gwest_ca
1 hour ago, R Scheer said:

Have a Home Hardware nearby? On sale this week here. Don't see red ones anymore.

https://www.homehardware.ca/en/search?query=7471-171

Garry

R Scheer

R Scheer

The ones at Home Hardware are blue, that I can live with.  I don't think green would have worked...

• Haha 2

gwest_ca
19 minutes ago, gwest_ca said:

Have a Home Hardware nearby? On sale this week here. Don't see red ones anymore. Guess I got them all.

https://www.homehardware.ca/en/search?query=7471-171

Garry

Canadian Tire

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/classicturbo-carpet-48-in-0825201p.html#srp

Colors are not always as advertised in our local stores so you may have a choice.

Garry

rjg854

We got 4 or 5" of snow today,  so I finally got a chance to plow snow with my 877.  The more I use that tractor,  the more I like it :banana-skier:

It seems faster than my Commando,   but just as agile. It's sure nice to push the handle either forward or backward and move in that direction. 

Can't hardly wait to have to plow again. 

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2
  • Heart 1

ohiofarmer

I fixed wheels to my lift so001.JPG.841fd9ef888094434216ca99ee00ebb0.JPG as to be able to lift and move the tractorsspacer.png. Sitting in a folding chair and being able to rest rear tires on my lap to mount is really worth it. These little lifts slide under tables and take up very little floor space. Tractors shown are an electro 12 and a 1075spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

002.JPG

006.JPG

010.JPG

Edited by ohiofarmer
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Herder
5 minutes ago, ohiofarmer said:

I fixed wheels to my lift so as to be able to lift and move the tractorsimageproxy.php?img=&key=74de1d643bd8402f. Sitting in a folding chair and being able to rest rear tires on my lap to mount is really worth it. These little lifts slide under tables and take up very little floor space. Tractors shown are an electro 12 and a 1057imageproxy.php?img=&key=74de1d643bd8402fimageproxy.php?img=&key=74de1d643bd8402fimageproxy.php?img=&key=74de1d643bd8402fimageproxy.php?img=&key=74de1d643bd8402fimageproxy.php?img=&key=74de1d643bd8402f

002.JPG

I like that lift.  What is it called?  Thanks. 

Tractorhead

That lift looks like a pretty handy tool, like it !

ohiofarmer

The lift is actually available at Harbor Freight. i have used a 20 off coupon on it. You will never see them displayed in the store, but they usually have them in the back storage area. I use mine all the time. Stuff like welding things at a comfortable height , loading stuff on a truck. You name it.  They are rated at 1100 pounds, but I feel that 750 is more like it if you want to be safe. Harbor Freight weight ratings are sort of like dog years to me... Here is the link.

https://www.harborfreight.com/search?q=high position motorcycle lift

What a bargain at $160 using the coupon

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The Tuul Crib

Got my first born out today with the

48 inch blade in tow.With the temps 

to near 60 this week its hard to get in

the mood to push snow:angry-tappingfoot:

so im doing some dirt work on my 

hillside. This 414-8 has a strong push. 
I have some logs to move ill get some

pics on that later! Of course shes 

had a bath!!

A2B2F68E-899C-4EE3-9E44-215B0A63218A.jpeg

Edited by The Tool Crib
  • Like 4
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

Lane Ranger

Put my 1962 Wheel Horse 42 inch plow on my 854 today!  This is my number 3 back up snow equipment!   I usually put this plow on my 701 as it has the hydraulic lift and the correct rear hitch for this plow.  The first pic is of the rear end on my 701.

No round cross bar on the 62 plow frame normally to lock into the later type rear plow hitches.  Two shoulder bolts were used in this 1962 version. 

so I tweaked my frame with a rod that I can remove as needed.  
9855E764-34DD-441A-AABE-E46FB61E3373.jpeg.6de821b9dd181532d6dfd3dd984b455d.jpeg

4A044AB0-6AF9-408C-B5D3-A0D65428A09A.jpeg

D495F331-73B8-4FDD-BE97-C409C575E7F5.jpeg

93F7E5C9-8FC4-4213-9154-2C5036D2042F.jpeg

8BD3F357-1B21-4B54-8C7E-3F254420B9EB.jpeg

85703202-AB68-4D8F-80DF-4ED6ACE88766.jpeg

8FBAD0EE-14E9-4265-8239-11ADE525A07D.jpeg

9056666C-94C2-45E0-B30D-570C90D47225.jpeg

21E6FF03-2618-49CA-AB58-789D50CC8708.jpeg

80893E78-B7E9-45B0-A88C-750974610DA4.jpeg

09532BCE-3F10-4082-9249-E7B3570B59C7.jpeg

80EDBA1A-9928-4C2E-ADED-DAA140D9F906.jpeg

Edited by Lane Ranger
  • Like 4
  • Excellent 5

Tach-a-matic

Did some "heavy drawbar work" with the B-80 :)

IMG-2025.jpg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

R Scheer

While I tried installing the rollup toboggan in the chute, easier to imagine then do.  But I'll leave it as is for now until I get some snow to try it in.

The toboggan isn't particularly flexible in the cold, at least not when you're dealing with double compound curves and shape changes.  And I didn't want to drill any holes in the chute, only had to drill one 1/4" hole.

20191223_140405.jpg

• Like 2

Tractorhead

Curious how this will work.