Ed Kennell

What have you done to your Wheel Horse today?

balconio
2 hours ago, MikMacMike said:

Hello baconio, Sure no problem, at the moment ive got (lets call it the spacer cage) it apart because everything was just tacked together. Today Ill be welding it proper. But what Ill do is once its together I can show you in more detail. I havnt raised the steering wheel as of yet but I will say the steering wheel will be much easier. I too was far too close with the foot rests. I dont know if your machin has the same cross bar that attaches the foot rests and if it does I noticed that the foot restsmounted under that cross bar. So I unbolted the top and left the bottoms bolted in place for alignment. I carefully bent the foot rests upwards so as to mount on top of the cross bar. So the bolt holes to match back up I only bolted the cross bar to the foot rest NOT the center consle. this puts the cross bar on an angle toward the front of the tractor. Using 2 very large adjustable wrenches I pulled the cross bar back to a straight position (horizontal). Now youll notice the bolt holes where the crossbar mounts to the center consle doesnt align. But alas it only moves it about 1". I marked the holes from underneath, drilled them and voila it all came together. As for making a latch to keep the seat body and fenders closed, I havnt gotten to that point yet. 1st pic is the origonal position, as you can see I gain a sheesh load of room to where I am locating the gas tank by switching to 8 speed from hydro. If I run hydrolics Id rather run a proper pump right off the engine instead of tapping into the sunstrand. Pic 2 you can see the foot rest is now mounted above the cross bar. I just made sure when I was bending that the both footrests were still atached so as to make sure of alignment. pic 3 you can see in the upper right corner. The bolts are 1 " back on the cross bar. In fact its the cross bar that moves 1" forward. This gives me a ton of room. I hope this helps. These tires Im using as soon as you  put anything around 10 to 18 lbs of air pressure the expand tremendously, plus in that state they dont have the wide look I wanted, an undersight on my part. But at 5 psi they settle down in size and look great. I just hope it all works or its back to the drawing board, LOL.

I'll be honest I'm only at the "thinking thru stuff" stage at this point and haven't unbolted any of the bodywork or started modding yet. Now that i think of it- it'd be a shame to cut up the original tins if there's a better way. Thx for sharing your ideas and pics!

MikMacMike

yuppers exactly what I thought too. Thats why I just tweeked everything instead. Just in case I decided to bring it back to a hydrostat. I didnt have to cut one peice the way I did it too. Heres a pic of how I put the feet rests on top of the cross bar. When I get the wheels back on Ill show you the clearance. 1st pic is how I massaged it to fit....with 2 adjustable wrenches. I can always put it back to origonal that way. 2nd pic...I just finished welding it up 2 minutes ago,  welded my own filler structure to raise the sheet metal roughly 2.5 to 3 inches. I can always just remove this peice and reinstall the origonal sheet metal under the seat. Took me all day to weld it nice and accurate. wew havnt eaten all day, time for dinner

IMG_0231.JPG

IMG_0230.JPG

• Like 1

MikMacMike

Well I got the filler structure all welded up....took me from 7:30 am till now. Its all nice in accurate too whahhh so glad. Sheet metal work I hope tomorrow, covering the structure to keep the dirt out.

IMG_0228.JPG

IMG_0229.JPG

IMG_0230.JPG

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine

@MikMacMike.    Wicked nice work.... 

MikMacMike

Well Thankyou Ebinmaine. I tacked it well but the real test will be tomorrow, will see if it pulled in any direction when I welded it heheheh, should be pritty  good fit.

• Like 1

balconio
4 hours ago, MikMacMike said:

yuppers exactly what I thought too. Thats why I just tweeked everything instead. Just in case I decided to bring it back to a hydrostat. I didnt have to cut one peice the way I did it too. Heres a pic of how I put the feet rests on top of the cross bar. When I get the wheels back on Ill show you the clearance. 1st pic is how I massaged it to fit....with 2 adjustable wrenches. I can always put it back to origonal that way. 2nd pic...I just finished welding it up 2 minutes ago,  welded my own filler structure to raise the sheet metal roughly 2.5 to 3 inches. I can always just remove this peice and reinstall the origonal sheet metal under the seat. Took me all day to weld it nice and accurate. wew havnt eaten all day, time for dinner

Aren't those the best work days though? The ones where you're so amped about what you have going on in the shop that you forget about silly things like time, and eating.

Nice work, I can't wait to see how it all fits together

• Like 3

ebinmaine
3 hours ago, balconio said:

forget about silly things like time, and eating

:ROTF:

Time .... Ok I'll give ya that one..

Eating?

No. Nope. Not me.

• Haha 3

Pullstart

Growin’ boy’s gotta eat!

• Haha 1

js5020

Lot of nice looking fab work above.  My Horse doings are much less intense, the grandsons helped me make and install a new wear edge for the plow.  Took the blower off the 16 auto and mounted the plow.  Pulled the carb and gave it a good cleaning, and installed a new set of points.  

• Like 2

MikMacMike
9 hours ago, balconio said:

Aren't those the best work days though? The ones where you're so amped about what you have going on in the shop that you forget about silly things like time, and eating.

Nice work, I can't wait to see how it all fits together

Thank you balcono, much appreciated. Hahah ya every time I step into my shop its like Im in a time machine. 7:30am to usually 10 at night and I rarely stop unless I have to think and double think.....eating whaaaa that takes time away from playing lol. Sometimes i do though but very rarely. At night when I finally finish I do eat like a Horse hehehe, pun intended. Im out here now and just ploting some bracing and then I start forming some fresh sheet metal for guards and to keep dirt out of cridical areas. Make it a test when you know your going to have to adjust or replace something like a spring or belt so Ill be incorperating opening panels so I dont have to remove the whole body due to lack odf access.

Have a great day bro, time is flyin, I have to get this as far as I can so I can head back to my regular job.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

MikMacMike
6 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

:ROTF:

Time .... Ok I'll give ya that one..

Eating?

No. Nope. Not me.

Hahahaha Im the same way brodere.....until I get a kitchen in the shop it'll never happen. Just thank mother nature for winter, keeps my beer nice and frosty for the end of the day. Hmmm when I make time to buy some that is. Im always one of those guys that sais......oh beer time, oh crapper the beer stores been closed for 5 hours hahahaha.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

MikMacMike
3 hours ago, js5020 said:

Lot of nice looking fab work above.  My Horse doings are much less intense, the grandsons helped me make and install a new wear edge for the plow.  Took the blower off the 16 auto and mounted the plow.  Pulled the carb and gave it a good cleaning, and installed a new set of points.  

Thank you js5020, yes maintaining the the beasts is always a must for longevity. Keeping the carb in tip top is always a must. And wear edges absolutely. I try to always buy a semi hardened steel for wear edges, tend to last just a little bit longer. Are you working on a front plow for dirt or snow? I found out theres a difference between them, or at least the strength of the springs anyways.

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, MikMacMike said:

start forming some fresh sheet metal for guards and to keep dirt out of cridical areas

Be sure to keep those guards removable as best you can.

Dirt and dust and general muck is going to get in there no matter how hard you try to keep it sealed.

• Like 1

js5020
38 minutes ago, MikMacMike said:

Thank you js5020, yes maintaining the the beasts is always a must for longevity. Keeping the carb in tip top is always a must. And wear edges absolutely. I try to always buy a semi hardened steel for wear edges, tend to last just a little bit longer. Are you working on a front plow for dirt or snow? I found out theres a difference between them, or at least the strength of the springs anyways.

This plow is for snow or that's what I have used it for in the past, the plow hasn't been on in 3 years I've always had the blower on in case of deep snow.  The grandsons are finally getting big enough to start supervised operating with a plow, so we are going to let them have a try  at it.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 3

ebinmaine
21 minutes ago, js5020 said:

grandsons

Yer gonna neeeeed more tractors.....

• Like 1

js5020

Well I have 4 currently so I'll be ok for a bit, I think.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

19richie66

Well It ain’t a wheel horse but it’s going in one.......somehow.:laughing-rolling:

34623712-DD0C-408D-B6C8-ED36DE5A5749.jpeg

ACAE91E6-FEE4-4433-A447-5EC25E7E4A1A.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 5

ebinmaine

Whatcha got there Richie????

• Thanks 1

balconio

Looks like a 2cyl deesil of some sort? I see an Ingersoll Rand sticker- must be industrial strength!

• Thanks 1

19richie66

Ingersall Rand Yanmar diesel from a Semi APU. Should power a tractor pretty good. Accidental craigslist find.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Heart 2

Pullstart

:woohoo:

• Like 1

Lane Ranger
14 hours ago, 19richie66 said:

Well It ain’t a wheel horse but it’s going in one.......somehow.:laughing-rolling:

34623712-DD0C-408D-B6C8-ED36DE5A5749.jpeg

ACAE91E6-FEE4-4433-A447-5EC25E7E4A1A.jpeg

You will be needing a frame upgrade with that thing Richie!

However, the good news is you wont be needing and front or back wheel weights !

• Like 1

MikMacMike
23 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Be sure to keep those guards removable as best you can.

Dirt and dust and general muck is going to get in there no matter how hard you try to keep it sealed.

Most definately, the left side will have one also for adjusting clutch brake. Hmmmm reminds me, down the road I have to ask you about what you said pertaining to separate peddles for clutch n brake. Also on the right side to access the drive belt. How I wanted to ask, I have the Kseries 301, Im sure it has the deep oil pan and I think they came with a shallow and a deep??? Why Im asking is Ive seen pics of a flat motor mount that has the sides raised to which the rubber motor mounts bolt to. I need to know how much higher this puts the engine, or does everyone just mount there motors to the frame like mine is?

ebinmaine
3 minutes ago, MikMacMike said:

Most definately, the left side will have one also for adjusting clutch brake. Hmmmm reminds me, down the road I have to ask you about what you said pertaining to separate peddles for clutch n brake. Also on the right side to access the drive belt. How I wanted to ask, I have the Kseries 301, Im sure it has the deep oil pan and I think they came with a shallow and a deep??? Why Im asking is Ive seen pics of a flat motor mount that has the sides raised to which the rubber motor mounts bolt to. I need to know how much higher this puts the engine, or does everyone just mount there motors to the frame like mine is?

Trina and I only have tractors with engines bolted directly to the frame so I can't help you there. Someone else will be along to try me and I'm sure.

As to the left and right pedals.

I prefer to have my tractor's with two separate pedals which are two separate controls for the clutch, and brake.

The reason for that is because we live on the side of a mountain and so obviously I spent a lot of time going downhill.

I like to be able to leave the clutch and belt engaged and also use the brake at the same time. You can't do that with a single pedal tractor.

That does not bother Trina at all because she runs much smaller lighter tractors than I do and also she herself is very small. She just does not have the gravitational pull that I do.

• Like 1

MikMacMike

For now Ill prob just leave it bolted to the frame. About the dual foot peddles, once I get the beast running and any bugs Ill be looking at switching over to dual peddles. I saw in the classifieds someone was fabricating the right hand peddles but Id rather have a cast peddle to match the left. I wonder who would have one? This winter and in between snows I will be starting to build a cab. Built out of sheet metal. Fully surrounding the leg and foot areas right on to the back of the cab area.

Hmmmm I wonder whod have a cast peddle? I need it temporarily installed to get measurements for clearance.

Edited by MikMacMike