Ed Kennell

What have you done to your Wheel Horse today?

ZXT
20 minutes ago, balconio said:

Big day today- I took my newly acquired 1988 and 1989 312-8's off the trailer for the first time! These are my first Wheelhorse tractors, and my first garden tractors ever... I've had a stamped steel 12hp MTD lawn tractor for years, but need to up my game because we're moving from a half acre to 8 acres. I got the pair for a great deal off Craigslist. I feel like I hit the jackpot- this gentleman was a Corvette guy, and kept fanatical records for every service ever on the 89, which he bought new. The 88 is in great shape too. I got a 42" rear discharge deck and a 42" single stage snowblower in the deal, and he threw in a 25 gallon 12V sprayer as well. Hours are ~1500 for the 89 and ~1300 for the 88, which isn't bad. They don't smoke, start with just a hint of choke, and need minimal maintenance- and i know exactly where to find the info i need to fix these girls :wink:

:text-welcomeconfetti:to :rs:

First post and we didn't even have to ask for:text-coolphotos:! I think you'll fit in just fine.

What you bought will make your MTD look like a childs toy! 312's are simple and rugged tractors.

• Like 1

tom2p

welcome and congrats 

312-8 :  solid dependable versatile  tractor 

durable as an anvil 

from description and pic they appear to be in great shape and properly maintained 

• Like 1

tom2p
7 minutes ago, balconio said:

Ok the first real "fix" to my 1989 312-8... one of these is a transparent Lego cylinder capped with a transparent round Lego tile. can you tell which one? Total cost to fix= free because I raided my kids' Lego bin. I think online these are under $.10 apiece but the shipping is kind of rough.

IMG_20191129_111256458.jpg

IMG_20191129_111235449.jpg

hey watch the LEGO bin raiding  lol

we have a basement full of LEGO (bins, sets, etc.) ; barely exaggerating 

JCM

@balconio    :text-welcomeconfetti:    I was fortunate to be able to buy a 312-8 new in 1989. If you like the 300  400  500  series tractors  IMO the 312 is one of the most simple, easy to maintain and dependable tractors you could find and right out of the gate, you have 2, you done good. On Wednesday I received a call from a friend of mine, who asked me if I wanted a 310-8 for no charge, that was an easy answer, yes.Did not have much time to look it over and I still needed to get back to Maine from Mass and was concerned about the route 95 holiday northbound traffic, looks like it has some issues but pretty solid and checked the Numbers to find it is a 1989 310-8 with a 2006 SD 42'' deck that looks decent and it has the larger 8'' front rims and larger rear tires.  Good luck with both of those you will really enjoy them 12 months of the year.

Edited by JCM
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1

tom2p

see chains on one tractor 

you will be set to plow 

Wheel Horse attachment system for a plow has few if no equals - install and remove in minutes with no tools 

same with a mower deck 

outstanding engineered system 

• Like 1

balconio
5 minutes ago, JCM said:

@balconio    :text-welcomeconfetti:    I was fortunate to be able to buy a 312-8 new in 1989. If you like the 300  400  500  series tractors  IMO the 312 is one of the most simple, easy to maintain and dependable tractors you could find and right out of the gate, you have 2, you done good. On Wednesday I received a call from a friend of mine, who asked me if I wanted a 310-8 for no charge, that was an easy answer, yes.Did not have much time to look it over and I still needed to get back to Maine from Mass and was concerned about the route 95 holiday northbound traffic, looks like it has some issues but pretty solid and checked the Numbers to find it is a 1989 310-8 with a 2006 SD 42'' deck that looks decent and it has the larger 8'' front rims and larger rear tires.  Good luck with both of those you will really enjoy them 12 months of the year.

Once we move onto my new property- first priority is going to be to setup one of those harbor freight "duct tape sheds" so i can fill it with more wheel horses. i'm in Western NY and this must be a hotbed for these tractors cuz i see a beat up but running C-120A for $175 and i can't stop looking at the thing wondering if i need a hydro in my life

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

balconio
13 minutes ago, JCM said:

i am very much in the market for 8" front rims. i want to turn the 88 into a mud mower, and run 19x7x8 ATV tires up front and some 26x10x12 mudlites out back. i wonder if other GT style rims (namely Craftsman) will work since i don't see many WH specific ones on eBay etc.

• Like 1

JCM

You got bitten by the WH fever real quick, you may have to get a shot for that, did you know they have one similar to a flu shot for your problem ? I have a 77  C-120 8 speed and wish I could find one with a Hydro but they seem scarce in the Northeast.

• Haha 3

tom2p
9 minutes ago, balconio said:

i am very much in the market for 8" front rims. i want to turn the 88 into a mud mower, and run 19x7x8 ATV tires up front and some 26x10x12 mudlites out back. i wonder if other GT style rims (namely Craftsman) will work since i don't see many WH specific ones on eBay etc.

one of the best things I did to my 312-8 was to replace the 6" wheels/tires with 8"

I don't agree with 6" tires on a Wheel Horse 300 or 400 series 

if a certain mower deck option/combo/setup would contact the 8" tires - I would have just dropped that option 

Edited by tom2p

ebinmaine
29 minutes ago, JCM said:

You got bitten by the WH fever real quick, you may have to get a shot for that, did you know they have one similar to a flu shot for your problem ? I have a 77  C-120 8 speed and wish I could find one with a Hydro but they seem scarce in the Northeast.

All I can find are gear drives but @Stepney sure has a talent for tripping over hydros... 

• Haha 1

Stepney
9 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

All I can find are gear drives but @Stepney sure has a talent for tripping over hydros... 

Like I say, it's downright aggravating to me when I just want a nice simple 8 speed, and trip over hydro drive/hydro lift machines for cheap all day long! Those are SUPPOSED to be the seldom seen ones, no?:rolleyes:

Maybe the E-16 will sway you, Eric.. you'll see her tomorrow. 

ebinmaine
4 minutes ago, Stepney said:

Maybe the E-16 will sway you, Eric.. you'll see her tomorrow

Maybe that most recent one you picked up will end up here....

Stepney
1 minute ago, ebinmaine said:

Maybe that most recent one you picked up will end up here....

Hope you like a project..

IMG_6614.JPG.1c83318cb8dc00685f3227c85d21b1c9.JPG

ebinmaine
13 minutes ago, Stepney said:

Hope you like a project..

IMG_6614.JPG.1c83318cb8dc00685f3227c85d21b1c9.JPG

I'm totally ok with that as long as you think the transmission is Good.

Lee1977
2 hours ago, tom2p said:

one of the best things I did to my 312-8 was to replace the 6" wheels/tires with 8"

I don't agree with 6" tires on a Wheel Horse 300 or 400 series 

if a certain mower deck option/combo/setup would contact the 8" tires - I would have just dropped that option 

Just one the 37" deck, I think it was more of a money saving deal.

I change mine too. I didn't change the spindles. Added 25" tires to the rear. I used it yesterday with a 42"mower. base.

SAM-0869.jpg

SAM-0872.jpg

• Like 2

Lane Ranger

Something you will never see again in your lifetime folks!  A New Old Stock Ride away Jr 1955 brake band!   

EF4972C0-9D8F-4A6E-99A4-455F7ADDB583.jpeg

F3FF1DB5-DB50-4282-80A0-86AEDF91D00F.jpeg

6C4C098B-01CC-4B25-BECE-0061A6C8F7B8.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 5

tom2p
7 hours ago, Lee1977 said:

Just one the 37" deck, I think it was more of a money saving deal.

I change mine too. I didn't change the spindles. Added 25" tires to the rear. I used it yesterday with a 42"mower. base.

SAM-0869.jpg

SAM-0872.jpg

heavy duty spindles ?

from 520 ?

MikMacMike
On 1/16/2018 at 10:04 AM, Achto said:

Key ways are wobbled out to about 1/2"

That does seem to be a bit of a weak point on the axles. Mine has the same problem. Im thinking of welding up the keyways and just have the local machine shop cut in a spline and a slight shoulder. Obviousely Id have to match the hubs. Sheeesh I sure wish Santa would put a small mill under the tree!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

gwest_ca
11 hours ago, Lane Ranger said:

Something you will never see again in your lifetime folks!  A New Old Stock Ride away Jr 1955 brake band!   

EF4972C0-9D8F-4A6E-99A4-455F7ADDB583.jpeg

F3FF1DB5-DB50-4282-80A0-86AEDF91D00F.jpeg

6C4C098B-01CC-4B25-BECE-0061A6C8F7B8.jpeg

Mind if I add your photos to this file?

Garry

• Excellent 1

N875ED

Be aware that your NOS brake band is probably asbestos, so please handle accordingly.

• Like 2

Lane Ranger
1 hour ago, gwest_ca said:

Mind if I add your photos to this file?

Garry

Go ahead Garry!

ebinmaine
8 hours ago, MikMacMike said:

That does seem to be a bit of a weak point on the axles. Mine has the same problem. Im thinking of welding up the keyways and just have the local machine shop cut in a spline and a slight shoulder. Obviousely Id have to match the hubs. Sheeesh I sure wish Santa would put a small mill under the tree!

There's a thread on the site about someone using a brass piece to weld around to fix the keyway.

Once you've achieved a good key, keyway, and decent hub to axle clearance a second set screw is a huge additional help.

All of our builds and restorations get them.

• Like 2

Lee1977
10 hours ago, tom2p said:

heavy duty spindles ?

from 520 ?

No  I renforced them. with angle iron. They are the 300 series spindles for 6" wheels.

SAM-0477.jpg

SAM-0475.jpg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 2
  • Thanks 1

Shynon

Finished up an Eaton 700/1100 swap for friend. decided to put the 56 on the table. 

20191130_165916.jpg

20191130_165923.jpg

20191130_165934.jpg

20191130_171509.jpg

• Like 7
  • Excellent 1