Ed Kennell

What have you done to your Wheel Horse today?

ebinmaine
15 minutes ago, DBlackston said:

Shes hooked

AWESOME.

Now you need to build a big horse stable...

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

12Horse Paladin

I dont hsve any pics most havent seen, lol...n my pics rightnow are pretty stationary/boring at the moment anyways...

But in the last week or so, ive removed the snowblower, added pigtails n a Battery Tender; removed the front pulley/bracket for the lawnmower; removed the rear tire chains. Yesterday i changed the oil.

Nextweek im hoping/planning to buy a floor jack, and if the weather holds, or we get a warm day, change the hydraulic fliud out...

Oh, yea...and lastnite i contacted VinylGuy about a set of decals😁

Hopiing to do more over the winter ( maybe get the tires pulled/tubed), and i look for lil things to try and do...verymuch wish i had a heated shop, tho. I wont freeze tryin to get my Horse back on his feet, lol.

Otherwise, you can bet, it is going to be a busy spring!😉😊

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine

@12Horse Paladin

Forgive my bad memory if you said this somewhere else but does your tractor run and drive ?

Have you tested the transaxle to verify that the hydro transmission works okay?

12Horse Paladin
10 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

@12Horse Paladin

Forgive my bad memory if you said this somewhere else but does your tractor run and drive ?

Have you tested the transaxle to verify that the hydro transmission works okay?

GoodMorning; i notice you are an early riser like me😊

Dont worry bout your memory; mine is like that, too, lol...

And besides, to be honest, i dunno if i ever really said, or not🤣

But yes, it runs and drives; cant say ive done much of that; just up n down the sidewalk of my corner lot...

I, at this time, would not be very comfortable buying a non runner.

Far as i kno, everything works as it should; even the lift...though, as mentioned elsewhere, there has been some cobbling done to keep it thatway, and many things are worn...

There is a leak or 2, too, that i did not see when i looked it over best i could...but i am hoping those can be delt with, too.

Edited by 12Horse Paladin
  • Like 2

ebinmaine
31 minutes ago, 12Horse Paladin said:

GoodMorning; i notice you are an early riser like me😊

Dont worry bout your memory; mine is like that, too, lol...

And besides, to be honest, i dunno if i ever really said, or not🤣

But yes, it runs and drives; cant say ive done much of that; just up n down the sidewalk of my corner lot...

I, at this time, would not be very comfortable buying a non runner.

Far as i kno, everything works as it should; even the lift...though, as mentioned elsewhere, there has been some cobbling done to keep it thatway, and many things are worn...

There is a leak or 2, too, that i did not see when i looked it over best i could...but i am hoping those can be delt with, too.

Early riser. Yeah that's about right. 4 a.m. on the weekdays and I almost never sleep past 6 on the weekends.

My basic train of thought about your tractor is that it is a hydro transmission that moves on its own ... I don't personally understand how they work or how to repair them so that's the only thing that would bother me if it was questionable.

From there everything else is repairable with time and care.

Plug away at it a little bit at a time and just keep asking questions.

• Like 2

12Horse Paladin
17 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Plug away at it a little bit at a time and just keep asking questions.

I intend to; thanks for the encouragement!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart

I sat on Jane and caught up on :rs: after a day of running wood through the mill.

• Like 2

8ntruck

What did I do to my Wheel Horse today? Brainfade!

I ran two tanks of gas through the backpack blower and 1/2 a tank through the hand held blower clearing the leaves from the fence row and around the building.  This morning, I rolled the horse out of the shed with the thought that I'd start it up and let it idle to warm up a bit while I hooked the lawn sweeper up.  Yup, It started, settled into an idle, then quit while I was getting the lawn sweep.  No fuel in the filter - maybe the fuel pump gave up?  Nope.  Disconnected the fuel line at the carb & cranked the engine - feeble squirts of fuel.  Clogged fuel filter? Maybe, as no fuel ran out when I disconnected the out side of the fuel line.  I went to disconnect the in fuel line to the filter, and noticed that it might be kinked.  Unbolted the retaining strap, and noted that the fuel line is in poor shape.  I have some new fuel line, how much do I need?  So I trace the fuel line back to the fuel shut off valve - and the light comes on.  The valve was still closed :doh: Got everything back together, went to start it, and the starter just bumps and turns the engine a partial turn.  OK, did a lot of cranking before I realized the fuel was shut off, so the battery is probably down, right?  Push the tractor around front of the house so I can get a jump from the truck. Jumpered to the truck, same thing, partial crank.  Turns out that I bumped the PTO lever somewhere along the line, and it was not making the safety switch.

Anyhow, once I got going the RD deck and lawn sweeper made a good leaf pick up system.  Only thing is, the ground up leaves didn't burn as well as un mown leaves. Got the leaves picked up around the house, but not around the lake house.  It started raining this evening, so the lake property will wait until another day.

PULLSTART - Thanks for the offer to use your bead breaker.  We'll see how the next week plays out.  You got any day that might be better than others in the next 10 days?

• Like 3
  • Excellent 2

ebinmaine
2 hours ago, Stepney said:

Broke the poor E16 out of it's corner for the first time in way too long. Time for the mower to come off and mount the snow thrower/cab. 

fullsizeoutput_2ac.jpeg

Calendar shot there!!!

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

19richie66

I agree :text-yeahthat:

Pullstart

@8ntruck I’ll shoot you a PM about the tire machine 👍

MikMacMike
19 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Calendar shot there!!!

Absolutely. With that attachment, hmmmm a sickle?? Anyways thats one Horse not to fool with. Watch all the Jdeers run when your reaper makes an appearance. Smiles.

• Like 1

8ntruck

After going online to research flail mowers, I started thinking about what sort of Wheel Horse to hook a flail mower up to.  A 1054 came to mind, but a custom build.  17 or 20 horse Kohler, an 8 speed, 10 tooth transmission, manual PTO clutch, and tachmatic mid and front mounts.  Maybe some sort of hydraulic system for implement lift and accessory (like a log splitter) power.  Not as extreme as Goliath, but something along those lines.

Now, to find a source for the flail mower.....

Of course, all of this gets back burnered until several remodel projects get done.  Got to get through one or two of the remodel projects done before I can start gathering parts, though.

• Like 2

ebinmaine
6 hours ago, 8ntruck said:

thinking about what sort of Wheel Horse to hook a flail mower up to.  A 1054 came to mind, but a custom build.  17 or 20 horse Kohler, an 8 speed, 10 tooth transmission, manual PTO clutch, and tachmatic mid and front mounts.  Maybe some sort of hydraulic system for implement lift and accessory (like a log splitter) power

Sounds some kind of interesting....

:handgestures-thumbupright:

Pullstart
7 hours ago, 8ntruck said:

After going online to research flail mowers, I started thinking about what sort of Wheel Horse to hook a flail mower up to.  A 1054 came to mind, but a custom build.  17 or 20 horse Kohler, an 8 speed, 10 tooth transmission, manual PTO clutch, and tachmatic mid and front mounts.  Maybe some sort of hydraulic system for implement lift and accessory (like a log splitter) power.  Not as extreme as Goliath, but something along those lines.

Now, to find a source for the flail mower.....

Of course, all of this gets back burnered until several remodel projects get done.  Got to get through one or two of the remodel projects done before I can start gathering parts, though.

Ooooohhhhhhh!!!  We can bench race about that idea on Monday at the tire machine!  :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, pullstart said:

Ooooohhhhhhh!!!  We can bench race about that idea on Monday at the tire machine!  :handgestures-thumbupright:

I want video recording with end result on paper.

:D

• Thanks 1

peter lena
On 11/18/2019 at 5:11 PM, lynnmor said:

I used spiral wrap hose protector on my hydraulic log splitter, I might try it on the 520H.  The spiral wrap doesn't require disassembly to install, but there ain't much room on these machines. Example

agree with you on the spiral wrap , i use that regularly , along with rerouting of wire issues , easily helping to get rid of line chafe, pete

balconio

Big day today- I took my newly acquired 1988 and 1989 312-8's off the trailer for the first time! These are my first Wheelhorse tractors, and my first garden tractors ever... I've had a stamped steel 12hp MTD lawn tractor for years, but need to up my game because we're moving from a half acre to 8 acres. I got the pair for a great deal off Craigslist. I feel like I hit the jackpot- this gentleman was a Corvette guy, and kept fanatical records for every service ever on the 89, which he bought new. The 88 is in great shape too. I got a 42" rear discharge deck and a 42" single stage snowblower in the deal, and he threw in a 25 gallon 12V sprayer as well. Hours are ~1500 for the 89 and ~1300 for the 88, which isn't bad. They don't smoke, start with just a hint of choke, and need minimal maintenance- and i know exactly where to find the info i need to fix these girls :wink:

IMG_20191116_104818628_HDR.jpg

IMG_20191116_104827971_HDR.jpg

IMG_20191116_104840324_HDR.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 8

ebinmaine
11 minutes ago, balconio said:

Big day today- I took my newly acquired 1988 and 1989 312-8's off the trailer for the first time! These are my first Wheelhorse tractors, and my first garden tractors ever... I've had a stamped steel 12hp MTD lawn tractor for years, but need to up my game because we're moving from a half acre to 8 acres. I got the pair for a great deal off Craigslist. I feel like I hit the jackpot- this gentleman was a Corvette guy, and kept fanatical records for every service ever on the 89, which he bought new. The 88 is in great shape too. I got a 42" rear discharge deck and a 42" single stage snowblower in the deal, and he threw in a 25 gallon 12V sprayer as well. Hours are ~1500 for the 89 and ~1300 for the 88, which isn't bad. They don't smoke, start with just a hint of choke, and need minimal maintenance- and i know exactly where to find the info i need to fix these girls :wink:

IMG_20191116_104818628_HDR.jpg

IMG_20191116_104827971_HDR.jpg

IMG_20191116_104840324_HDR.jpg

Super awesomeness!!

Welcome to the addiction.

• Like 1

balconio
1 minute ago, ebinmaine said:

Super awesomeness!!

Welcome to the addiction.

Oh I'm addicted already- i kind of lied, they came off the trailer 2 weeks ago but i just joined the forum. in that time i've already thrown some parts and fixes at the 89 and discovered it needs oil seals on the brake shaft and left axle. This forum is pure gold for finding parts and info to fix. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
Just now, balconio said:

Oh I'm addicted already- i kind of lied, they came off the trailer 2 weeks ago but i just joined the forum. in that time i've already thrown some parts and fixes at the 89 and discovered it needs oil seals on the brake shaft and left axle. This forum is pure gold for finding parts and info to fix. 

Absolutely correct.

Awesome folks around here.

Any help or questions ... They're here.

• Like 2

balconio

Ok the first real "fix" to my 1989 312-8... one of these is a transparent Lego cylinder capped with a transparent round Lego tile. can you tell which one? Total cost to fix= free because I raided my kids' Lego bin. I think online these are under $.10 apiece but the shipping is kind of rough.

IMG_20191129_111256458.jpg

IMG_20191129_111235449.jpg

• Like 5
  • Excellent 2