Ed Kennell

What have you done to your Wheel Horse today?

adsm08
1 minute ago, ebinmaine said:

There's your first piece

Well I have one that I made but the coil end keeps coming uncrimped. I finished out with that one, it ran better but still poorly, which is why I think something else is up.

I also was putting black smoke and managed to carbon foul a freshly cleaned plug in an hour. I had the carb adjusted to the lean side, so I'm going with incomplete/late combustion over rich running conditions.

ZXT
3 hours ago, adsm08 said:

Mowed. It ran like crap again. Electrocuted myself trying to reach the carb from the driver's seat while it was running. Got the yard done, but I have to figure this out.

Tomorrow I'm going to try and get a new plug wire, maybe a different coil, and check the timing.

Rest in peace! Lol! The definition of electrocution is being killed by electrical shock. Yes, I had to be a smart-aleck.

If it runs at all I can't see the coil or plug wire being the culprit. It's not lean if its puffing black smoke! Have you had the carb apart lately?

Edited by ZXT
  • Haha 2

adsm08
4 hours ago, ZXT said:

Rest in peace! Lol! The definition of electrocution is being killed by electrical shock. Yes, I had to be a smart-aleck.

If it runs at all I can't see the coil or plug wire being the culprit. It's not lean if its puffing black smoke! Have you had the carb apart lately?

Carb was torn down and fully cleaned, spent the night in an ultrasonic cleaner, right after I bought it at the beginning of the season.

I have had issues from plug wires bleeding spark through worn insulation before, like my one seems to be doing. I've also had poor quality crimp ends cause running issues. It will let the engine run, but results in incomplete combustion, which I seem to have.

• Like 1

ebinmaine
5 hours ago, ZXT said:

If it runs at all I can't see the ......plug wire being the culprit

I've had car engines that would run AND give me a light show if you look under the hood in the dark

54 minutes ago, adsm08 said:

issues from plug wires bleeding spark through worn insulation

• Like 1

cafoose
2 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

I've had car engines that would run AND give me a light show if you look under the hood in the dark

:text-yeahthat: Me too once a car I had was giving problems under load so had someone put it in gear and hold the brake in the dark and I had a light show :scared-shocked:it got worse as I moved the throttle a little. As soon as I put it in park the light show stopped! I replaced the wires and problem solved :banana-wrench:

• Like 1

wallfish

:text-yeahthat: to the plug wires.

Had the same thing happen and the van would loose serious power under load because of bad plug wires.

• Like 1

adsm08
4 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Many moons ago I bought a fresh rebuilt engine from a guy I worked with and dropped it in my truck. I didn't change out the plug wires on it when I got it because they were newer than the ones I had on the old engine, but right away it ran like crap, blew black smoke on heavy accel, and missed at idle.

After a month I gave up on it and figured it would break for real eventually, and started messing with other stuff on it. One day I was laying over the fender adjusting a power steering hose while it was running and brushed the coil wire and got bit. Ran to the garage, grabbed the oil coil wire, and BAM, fixed.

• Like 3

squonk

Finally finish up the C-160 summer service. Cleaned deck,new plug wire, changed engine and hydro oil. Then replaced the lift cyl on Big Oly.

271674518_cspa001.JPG.94183f3dbd5b2ea879b4091583d81091.JPG

158606723_cspa004.JPG.46ffb295f8b4567b85e79d72a2ce9874.JPG

603106055_cspa003.JPG.3a724b803b1eb7a29fcb544928197ce6.JPG

• Like 3

squonk

I had nice wires for sale at the show.

229515661_wires001.JPG.3868f94a111e8114d9fcd463b04ce21a.JPG

• Like 1

adsm08
29 minutes ago, squonk said:

I had nice wires for sale at the show.

229515661_wires001.JPG.3868f94a111e8114d9fcd463b04ce21a.JPG

If I'd know mine was going to give out a few weeks later I'd have bought one.

I got one from my neighbor who does mower service, it's way too long, but it works. It ran much better, reset the carb that I had been randomly fiddling with, runs much nicer now.

Now I just have to get my PTO belt replaced because the one I put on earlier this summer is coming apart.

Monday I'll run out to the Napa warehouse and get a new plug wire. Guy at the local store got me a number from the book, warehouse store has them on hand.

• Like 1

ZXT
On 7/13/2019 at 2:06 PM, adsm08 said:

If I'd know mine was going to give out a few weeks later I'd have bought one.

I got one from my neighbor who does mower service, it's way too long, but it works. It ran much better, reset the carb that I had been randomly fiddling with, runs much nicer now.

Now I just have to get my PTO belt replaced because the one I put on earlier this summer is coming apart.

Monday I'll run out to the Napa warehouse and get a new plug wire. Guy at the local store got me a number from the book, warehouse store has them on hand.

Shortening a spark plug wire isn't hard to do if you decided you wanted to go that route.

• Like 1

adsm08
10 hours ago, ZXT said:

Shortening a spark plug wire isn't hard to do if you decided you wanted to go that route.

It also has two straight ends, and I really need to have one be a 90* or it is gonna rub through on my hood eventually.

• Like 1

adsm08

Made new plug wire, fine fiddled carb, mowed my yard and the neighbor's because their pushmower's self-propel crapped out (I offered since I was already mowing), runs much more betterer now.

Then I went back into the lift pump, AGAIN. The return spring won't stay in place, my bushing keeps popping out of the hole that was egged out originally. I suspect the real issue with that is that I don't ever leave the glues that I've been using to hold it set long enough before I fill the pump up. Well I am leaving for a few days first thing in the morning, so I JB welded the bushing to the case and the spring into the bushing, and it is gonna sit for a week while I am not here to fuss with it. When I get home I'll work the control lever back and forth a bit to see if it pops out, and if it doesn't I'll assume it's good to go.

I wouldn't care about the return as much, but when the pump sticks engaged it gets hot and burns up the shaft seals. I've lost three of them this way now, and they ain't cheap.

• Like 2

mhlmeader

I think I fixed my slipping PTO by pulling the drive pulley a little further away from the engine, more adjustment added to the PTO rod, and deck spins fast like a kitten!!!

20190715_204244.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, adsm08 said:

much more betterer

Nice to see you speak Maine

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

adsm08
Just now, ebinmaine said:

Nice to see you speak Maine

I also speak the Wester PA dialect with irn, and gum bands.

• Like 1

Ed Kennell
13 hours ago, adsm08 said:

I also speak the Wester PA dialect with irn, and gum bands.

It's difficult to change old habits.        I left the western Pa mountains in 1961,   but I still catch myself warshing my truck and changing the oral occasionally.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

ebinmaine

Absolutely fascinates me how a lot of midwesterners add Rs where they shouldn't be and a lot of New Englanders take them all out. It's amazing we can speak to each other at all.

:ROTF:

• Excellent 1
  • Haha 2

Stormin

I's sayin' nowt!

PeacemakerJack

Today—“Vader”(the super-C) is my jobsite tool caddy today as we are redecking the deck on our house.  When Kelli and I built it in 2002, it was just the two of us.  Now I have three helpers and I’m thankful for them...

116A6F43-C51B-4E32-8B96-7A815354A8C4.jpeg.0d708c997db3bbc9f3dd2696c218953e.jpeg

1489CEB7-967D-4FE6-85AB-3DCBBCBFA31E.jpeg.8ffe13015da1c7a0aa719e387c486168.jpeg

Caleb is helping with the reconstruction and the littles are removing the nails from the old boards...

• Like 2
  • Excellent 4

ZXT
7 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

It's difficult to change old habits.        I left the western Pa mountains in 1961,   but I still catch myself warshing my truck and changing the oral occasionally.

'round here it'd be "changing the uhl".

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

adsm08
21 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

Well do you know the difference between washing and warshing?

You wash with water, but to warsh you need warter.

• Haha 2

adsm08

20 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Absolutely fascinates me how a lot of midwesterners add Rs where they shouldn't be and a lot of New Englanders take them all out. It's amazing we can speak to each other at all.

:ROTF:

I know a whole city of New Englanders that put Rs where they don't belong. My college marketing prof was from Boston and one poor girl in that class fought with her all semester over the proper pronunciation of her name. The professor couldn't say any word ending in A without changing it to an ER and this girl refused to respond to "Laner".

She would ignore the professor until being addressed 3 or 4 times, then say "Well that is not my name, please say it correctly".

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

AMC RULES

:confusion-shrug: What Dads do. 

• Haha 2