Sign in to follow this  
porkchop

c-101 question

porkchop

I bought a c-101 tractor and it will not roll in neutral it doe,s not run.When jacked up one wheel spins one way and the other spins opposite. I thought rebuilding these tractors would be a good hobby. I don,t know much about them but used one alot when I was a kid. I am a machine repairman by trade.Can anyone tell me if this is normal or what may be wrong?

TT

:whistle:

Experience tells me your tractor is an 8 speed gear drive. Since you haven't filled out your profile yet :thumbs: , I have no idea where you're located so I don't know if temperature is relevant.

If it is very cold or has been for a while, there could be ice in the bottom of the transaxle - which is a typical problem with WH - and everything inside will be locked up. Try putting a heat lamp under the transaxle for a while or putting the tractor in a heated area. If it eventually moves, you'll know ice was the problem. (you'll need to drain & flush the tranz and refill with new oil - and you should install a new P/N 3577 shifter boot as soon as you can buy one. :whistle: )

If you're in a warmer climate, check the brake band on the left side of the transaxle to see if it is releasing. If the brake isn't keeping the wheels from turning, it's possibly an internal issue and you will need to open the tranz and investigate.

wallfish

First off :thumbs:

It sounds like your tranny is stuck in gear. The movement of the wheels when it's jacked up is correct. Try removing the stick by lifting the boot and removing the set screw that it pivots on. When you look inside you should see the shift forks that should be lined up for the stick to ride in. If they are not lined up you can move them with a screw driver.

I had this problem when my set screw came loose and the forks were pushed out of alignment.

porkchop

Thanks for the tips. I am in Indiana and it is possible that it has ice in it.I will investigate the shifter fork too.

porkchop

could anyone tell me what year it might be? c-101

TT

It will either be a 1978 or a 1979. If the model number tag is still intact and readable, just look at the first digit. (8=1978 / 9=1979)

porkchop

I warmed up the barn and it now rolls Thanks.I also removed the flywheel cover and starter and was pleased to find out the motor is not locked up.The starter must be bad. the serial number that is stamped in is 10k801 8136. This mower will need the motor rebuilt and I will take it apart and blast and repaint everything on the tractor.

TT

the serial number that is stamped in is 10k801

There should also be two digits printed on the tag ahead of that number.

They will either be "81-" or "91-" and are needed when looking up parts and/or determining the model year. (even though both models years are essentially the same tractor)

Anyhow.......

I'm glad to hear you got it thawed! :thumbs: