Sign in to follow this  
JimD

c-85 run at idle only

JimD

my c-85 will run at an idle, but won't accelerate to higher rpms. it spits, sputtters, and stalls. i have removed and cleaned the carb and fuel pump, and gone over the entire electrical system. it will start using the choke when it is cold, warm up and run at idle, just won't throttle up. it was like this when i bought it 2 years ago, and i'm just gettin around to fixing it to see how the engine is before i tear it down to restore. any suggetions will b much appreciated, thanks.

pfrederi

Do you have a fuel filter??? If not you probably should clean out entire fuel system new gas and filter. I have cleaned carbs only to have to do it over as junk moves through the lines and pump

JimD

Do you have a fuel filter??? If not you probably should clean out entire fuel system new gas and filter. I have cleaned carbs only to have to do it over as junk moves through the lines and pump

tank appears to be very clean, also replaced all gas lines. thanks for your response!

WHC-125

The carb might be out of adjustment

JimD

i reset the carb, and float to kohler engine manual specs, it does run smoothly at idle. i think i missed something in the electrical system. thanks

CasualObserver

I don't think electrical has anything to do with it. It sounds like a fuel problem. First check your fuel tank vent. If the tank cannot breathe you create a vacuum that can sometimes be sustained at idle, but not at a higher speed. Easiest way to check is to take the cap off and run the engine. Also check for a clogged line. Junk built up in the line or at any of the inlet/outlet ports would produce a similar result as well.

Rollerman

Jim is there any back firing when you try to throttle it up?

I had a similar problems as you described but with back firing with a Kohler K301 & turned out I had the points adjusted way off.

If you rule out the carb problem you may want to double check the points.

TT

You can also try closing the point gap to .016" to .018" and see if it improves. .020" is only a baseline measurement on these engines and I have seen a lot of Kohlers that won't run correctly at that setting.

If you haven't already done it, make sure the wires are hooked up correctly to the ignition coil. (12VDC from the ignition switch to the + post and the condenser/points leads to the - post) If the wiring there is OK, try a new condenser first, then points, and if there's no improvement, try another ignition coil.

If none of those are the culprit, it might be time to check the valves for clearance and seating ability.

b-80boz

try loosening the linkage on the govenor then turn the govenor the other direction and tighten up the linkage and try it that is what I had to do with mine the po had apparently messed with it and didn`t have it adjusted correctly that will make it idle ok but it won`t have any rpms also check your points you might take a finger nail file and run across the points to clean them up then reset the gap. :thumbs:

JimD

after reading all the help here, and having tried some of it previously, in my mind it just kept coming back to the electrical/ignition thing. so, got it running at idle, and looked at everything again while trying to throttle up. TT, ya nailed it. i saw some sparking behind the condenser, tightened up the bolt, and it ran better. finished tweaking in the carb and wow. now it runs at any throttle position, smooth, no knocks. it does however smoke like a freight train. so it will need rings at the very least. i wanted to know the condition of this engine before i tear the tractor down. thought my neighbor was going to call the fire dept with all the smoke pouring out of the garage. :thumbs: many thanks to TT and all who responded with great advice, jim

WHC-125

after reading all the help here, and having tried some of it previously, in my mind it just kept coming back to the electrical/ignition thing. so, got it running at idle, and looked at everything again while trying to throttle up. TT, ya nailed it. i saw some sparking behind the condenser, tightened up the bolt, and it ran better. finished tweaking in the carb and wow. now it runs at any throttle position, smooth, no knocks. it does however smoke like a freight train. so it will need rings at the very least. i wanted to know the condition of this engine before i tear the tractor down. thought my neighbor was going to call the fire dept with all the smoke pouring out of the garage. :thumbs: many thanks to TT and all who responded with great advice, jim

Jim,

I was going to say something might be loose as well. It looks like you figured it all out and I can't wait to hear about when you put some rings in the engine and make it purrrrrr...... :whistle: