Sarge

LED small task lights

UncleJerm76
11 minutes ago, Sarge said:

I own more flashlights than anyone I know

Great write up and thanks for the product suggestion if you can pin point the product packaging please share! Magnetic LED lights are extremely handy  ...and I feel the same way you do about having so many flashlights, I have one entire drawer of my tool box stuffed full of LED flashlights & work-lights and my wife just rolls her eyes. If they are incandescent they get donated - Ive fallen for those LEDs! What sold me on them was not only the brightness but like you I also found mine still on and shining bright a days after accidentally leaving it on! ...I actually prefer the AA type though because I can use the lithium AA's in there. Happy lighting! B)

Edited by UncleJerm76
  • Like 2

WHX??

You got the exact same tool chest as I have Sarge:handgestures-thumbupright:. I don't have that side box to collect junk on tho! :)

• Like 2

Sarge

Evidently , my memory is going south as well - the brand name is Commercial Electric - :confusion-scratchheadyellow: . No box for reference , duh on my part . It is on their website and for once the search engine worked - it's the 8.5" version -

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Commercial-Electric-8-5-in-LED-Portable-Task-Light-WHQ20-40/207171889

I want nothing to do with the AA or AAA battery format - they are far too small to provide any capacity for run times . Almost all rechargeables in that sizing are Ni-Cad or a derivative and their voltage is only 1.2v running versus the alkaline 1.5v - too low to power to the newer generation of chip on board led's . There are some Chinese odd-market AA and AAA sized lithium but they are really dangerous and can cause fires - lithium ion cells are not designed to run at the lower voltage - all are basically designed towards the 3.7v range . What they have done is sort of a crazy change in the cell sizes to make it work and they are generally not sold in the US due to the fire hazards during use or charging - far more dangerous than the standard lithium-ion cells . I only use top quality regulated cells - these will last for years and are around $10 each , the Orbtronics being one of the best available .

Some of my early 3400mah sized cells probably have well over 800 charge cycles on them , there are up to 4500mah size cells available now and their current delivery amps is also increased - that is how the newest generation of cordless power tools can run very high demand motors and still run an incredibly long time - like my 2 Bosch angle grinders using 6.4AH batteries . Even using wire brushes and heavy flap disks don't slow those tools down or drain the battery too fast - they are worth the investment if you weld a lot .

Most of my latest lights are from Fenix . They are built in China but made to some very high quality standards equal to or greater than Streamlight - at half the cost most times . The larger HL series head lamp I wear far too often is my favorite and it has been recently updated for more even light output but regardless this thing is amazing - it will run 14hrs on the mid setting with one 18650 , 4000mah size cell .

https://www.fenixlighting.com/product-category/headlamps/

The one I have - https://www.fenixlighting.com/product/fenix-hl60r-rechargeable-headlamp/

Most favorite of all hand flashlights -

https://www.fenixlighting.com/product/uc35-fenix-flashlight/

The old side box was given to me by a friend for fixing his truck - it was his Dad's and a nice Snap-On 3 drawer/2 shelf unit .

Sarge

squonk

Thanks Sarge. I've been looking for a nice rechargable LED light for my work van.

KC9KAS
7 hours ago, WHX12 said:

You got the exact same tool chest as I have Sarge:handgestures-thumbupright:. I don't have that side box to collect junk on tho! :)

I have this one also....no side box, and I can not get replacement drawer slides from SEARS PARTS DIRECT.

WHX??

That's not good KC .... did they break or wear out? I can't imagine them wearing out or even breaking. I am pretty rough on mine, especially when I am stupid, over  stuff them,  and then get  impatient with them. They always slide (almost) as good as ball bearing drawers? 

Sorry Sarge no mean to steal yer thread

RandyLittrell
1 hour ago, squonk said:

Thanks Sarge. I've been looking for a nice rechargable LED light for my work van.

Get this one right here. I just bought this one and its the same as the one I bought off the tool truck for 3 times the price. 

https://www.harborfreight.com/390-lumen-magnetic-slim-bar-folding-led-worklight-63958.html

Very strong magnet and the light bends back and forth. I will get a better pic of mine tomorrow. I have been very happy with it. It uses a 18650 that you can remove, so you could keep an extra battery handy or replace it if it goes south. 

Randy

squonk
9 hours ago, RandyLittrell said:

Get this one right here. I just bought this one and its the same as the one I bought off the tool truck for 3 times the price. 

https://www.harborfreight.com/390-lumen-magnetic-slim-bar-folding-led-worklight-63958.html

Very strong magnet and the light bends back and forth. I will get a better pic of mine tomorrow. I have been very happy with it. It uses a 18650 that you can remove, so you could keep an extra battery handy or replace it if it goes south. 

Randy

Looking for something to leave mounted in the van on the ceiling and compartments. Not to use on actual work.

RandyLittrell
7 hours ago, squonk said:

Looking for something to leave mounted in the van on the ceiling and compartments. Not to use on actual work.

It will work for that if needed. I do mobile auto glass and leave it on my box or ceiling of the van. It wont fall off driving. Just thought I would give you that info. 

randy

RandyLittrell

20171222_123657.jpg

Sarge

The older Sears boxes will eventually wear out their slides if over loaded - my Dad's old box from the '60s has two drawers that finally failed completely . No replacement parts and they are spot welded inside the cabinet box . Those welds could be drilled out and they can be replaced with some formed sheet metal channel - it would take some fab work but could be done . Toughest part would be getting the correct material that would last .

No problem with the hijack - it's a dark tool box that started the conversation to begin with , lol . Over on the Garage Journal board there is a whole slew of folks restoring older tool boxes to new condition including some really cool vintage Sears and Craftsman branded boxes - check it out . It's a ton of work but some of those older boxes were built like tanks and can usually be had very cheap .

I saw those HF lamps and wondered how well they worked - nice that it has a removable 18650 battery , that makes a big difference . Can you tell by looking at it if it uses COB (chip on board) or the old style board-soldered high output single leds ? The COB type are far more efficient and produce a lot more lumens - very tough to find anyone that has an honest lumen rating or at least the more conclusive luminous flux ratings on their lights they sell - Fenix is one of them . One thing I have to avoid is the higher color temperatures much over 6,000 Kelvin - once they are higher than 6500k the amount of blue light hurts my eyes something fierce . I prefer lamps down around 5000k or even at 3500k which is tough for most leds to produce but there are some out there . More towards the 3200k range is true sun light - makes things appear more natural as well . So many kitchen light leds are now sold with color temps well north of 6000k , bad idea when it comes to cooking food - duh , lol .

I got one of the Commercial Electric lights for my son in law for Christmas - he works in a dark diesel shop and has gone through several expensive lights from the tool truck guys that haven't lasted for very long - this is cheap and fits his needs quite well . Got another one for myself for the Horse shed too - hate going out there in the dark trying to find a flashlight or having to constantly wear the headgear lamp . I'll look deeper into the HF one next time I'm over that way - thanks for the tip .

Sarge

squonk

Got 1 of the Home Cheapo lights for my van today. Very nice. They showed 3 in stock but only had 1. I wanted them all so I could light up a couple of compartments. Oh well, I'll have to stop at other stores when I drive by them. Thanks again Sarge. 

Sarge

No problem - glad you like it . For the money - it seemed like a pretty decent deal after I've used it for awhile . I'm sure they battery will discharge a lot more in cold weather as all lithium-based cells will do - but at least it's rechargeable via the USB-C port (micro usb) . If they had just put a simple cap on the other end and made the cell a removable design it would be perfect .

Btw , for flashlights - these are the cells I get from Orbtronic - made by Panasonic and fully protected but will provide full current delivery for high powered flashlights -

https://www.orbtronic.com/18650-protected-battery-3500mah-lithium-ion

You have to research whatever model light you have or just email their customer service and find out if they require either the button top or flat top cells . Most devices will work fine with the flat top design but some will not - the button top generally runs slightly longer as well which is important in how the cells fit into some devices . I also recommend using a high quality regulated charger when using these high powered cells - the fire hazard from these lithium ion batteries is pretty serious and a well designed digitally regulated charger is the safest way to use them as well as being faster . A good one can also extend the life of your cells and get more life cycles out of them too . The Xtar , Nitecor are excellent chargers - read up on the candlepower forum if you want to learn about these things , it's a site similar to ours for great amounts of clean information . I use both an older Nitecor 4 bay as well as a newer Xtar VC2 digital which will charge a lot faster . 4 bay units charge slower , so keep that in mind but there are better ones coming out soon .

Also , if you hunt around there are some good quality USB chargers that will provide more power output to multiple ports to charge individual devices such as these lights , phones , flashlights and such -

https://www.ravpower.com/dp/B01B182976?ref=emc_b_5_t

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00WHXRGL4/?tag=thewire06-20&linkCode=xm2&ascsubtag=AgEAAAAAAAAAAKJ_

High drain modern smart phones running stuff like map and voice nav programs can eat up a lot of power - to the point of overheating a lot of chargers and even the power port in the vehicle . I hard wired a box into the back of my truck for a volt meter , power port and high power usb port all-in-one unit - use it pretty often and it also supplies power to the light strips and their dimmer/controller that light up the whole bed/topper . Some of the sites I work at require a good light and at times I use my phone for GPS marking so it gets drained pretty hard - charge it at lunch in the back of the truck and can provide power for others to charge their stuff , lol . Just be aware you need the engine to charge your main battery often - these things can drain down a good agm battery pretty fast ...so far I haven't had any starting issues . Just stuff to think about...

Sarge

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn
On 21/12/2017 at 10:42 AM, WHX12 said:

Me to. No side box either. I like that light sarge.

Glenn

Edited by JERSEYHAWG / Glenn

WHX??

Musta been a popular tool chest in the day Glenn. :)

Sarge

Their sales numbers had to be staggering - an amazing number of them out there still in service , even in commercial shops . Sure miss those days when Sears had stuff worth buying...ugh .

Sarge