Sign in to follow this  
sawyer

wheel horse charger breakerless

sawyer

hello new to this, but i just got a charger 12 and found out it has a breakerless ignition with a trigger module and coil that isnt round like regular. any way i have no spark, the engine shop say coil is no good. this type is very expensive. ive heard about doing away with this system and putting points and condenser on it. the holes are there but how exactly do i do this, what do i need. should i find a new coil or what is the cheapest way of getting her running. thanks

pond195520032003

Hi Sawyer and :omg: first off does your tractor have a kohler or tecumseh engine :lol: if its a tecumseh :dunno: you can find the aluminum coil on ebay right now :whistle: if its a kohler, the weird coil is hard to find, but someone on here will probably have an extra one :thumbs: please post the model no. of your tractor(tag located under the dash above shifter) and around here :D glad you found us and enjoy the site :whistle:

sawyer

yeah its a kohler k301 serial e0005602. 1969. i know that the coils are hard to find thats why i was wondering about points and condenser conversion.

WheelHorse_of_course

Hello Sawyer and :whistle:

Have you tried disconnecting the wire that goes to the ignition switch? If not try that and see if you get spark.

I have a K301 with a broken connecting rod and would sell you the whole thing including the coil. I am in Northeast Ohio.

Best of luck

:whistle: :thumbs:

sawyer

ok ive got my breaker point, condenser, coil all hooked up. but what do i do with the wires that hook to the old trigger module and the old coil. how will the charging sytem work.

WHC-125

Sawyer,

:thumbs:, this is a very resourceful site with alot of great people as you already seen :horseplay:

TT

ok ive got my breaker point, condenser, coil all hooked up. but what do i do with the wires that hook to the old trigger module and the old coil. how will the charging sytem work.

The third wire from the stator that powered the breakerless ignition can be cut off and removed.

The two A.C. stator leads that hook to the rectifier/regulator will remain intact and the alternator will function normally.

In case you haven't figured it out yet, you will need to change the ignition switch to one for battery ignition. You can either use the original kill wire from the switch to the old coil to power the new battery ignition coil, or you can just run a new wire from the "I" terminal of the new switch to the + post on the new coil.

sawyer

i put an on off switch from the battery to coil so i can kill it. but my real queation is that it is not charging the battery so how does that work. :whistle:

:thumbs: