Sign in to follow this  
Guest fireman

Need cross reference help on RJ58/59 part

Guest fireman

Awhile back I was looking for what was still available for the RJ58/59. I came upon a list someone had compiled. It showed that part number 3538 (Lever,Shift) could be replaced by part number 5278. The Toro site doesn't have a replacement listed. I checked with the part search web site to see where 5278 was used. That listed the 1964 854 and 1045 as the only places it was used. The shifter looks the same in the drawing. Everything else he had on the list was correct. My shifter is pitted and I want to replace it. I actually found a place that has the 5278 in stock so if it will work, I want to get it. Can anyone confirm if this can be substituted for the original?

Here is the 854 diagram. It is part number 51:

854.jpg

Here is the RJ diagram. It is part number 14

RJ58Diagram.jpg

evanloock

The newer shift lever will have a 45 degree or so bend in the lever near the top where the RJ lever does not have this bend. This change was made to facilitate the lever clearing the HY-2 & HY-3 hydraulic pumps. The change was made in late 1962 beginning with tractor serial number 62-2856. I would assume the shift "ball" at the end of the lever is the same. I believe I have a few of the original levers in good shape (RJ style) if you are interested in one.

WheelHorse_of_course

I concur with Evan based on the fact I replaced the original on the 854 with one from a RJ. It just barely clears the seat when shifting into R and 1 but it does clear.

sorekiwi

I dont know by personal experience, but RCPW's websire states that #3538 was superceeded by #5278.

The parts look up lists #3538 as used on Suburbans 400,550, RJ 58, RJ59, and 401.