Sign in to follow this  
Old Iron

Is this deck worth saving?

Old Iron

I started to take the deck that was given to me apart to freshen it up for this spring and was very disapointed. When I saw the first crack I figured I could take it into work and run a bead of weld down it, no problem. It wasn't until I got the hub for the center blade off that I saw the real trouble. There are still two pieces that I could just snap off with my fingers :thumbs:

Not to mention the needle bearings were toast, too....

Has anyone had any success fixing a deck in this condition? It doesn't have to be a "restoration", I just want it in proper working order without regard to how it looks. Function over fashion, if you will.

IMG_3590.jpg

IMG_3589.jpg

nylyon

Just my opinion, but if the metal is still solid you should be able to weld it up without much trouble. If there is a lot of thin rusted metal, then it might not be worth fixing.

Old Iron

I didn't mention the rust through it has also.

The metal is pretty thin and brittle. My worry is that if I weld it all up the brittle metal will just break again along side the weld. I am a Machinist and I've only seen aluminum crack like this. The steel must be broken down from years of abuse. I know this tractor came from a small farm in up-state New York. The old timer that I got it from used it to mow 4 acres of grass for the last 40+ years! That is a lot of seat time!!! I wish I knew the model number. Is there a plate somewhere that will tell me?

It would be a shame to toss it. All of the components are in good shape, it's just the shell that is completely beat.I'll probably put it in the shed with the rest of my crap.

Here is a pic of when I got it. Any ideas on the model #?

IMG_2980.jpg

CasualObserver

I would say it's probably a RL-426 if it's original to the tractor. It could also be the 5-1421 from the next year. Copies of both manuals are available in the Yahoo Manuals Group 5. You have to join to access them, but it's free. They're strictly a reference library.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wheelhorsetr...manuals5/files/

WheelHorse_of_course

I am thinking that the brittleness is due to metal fatigue not rust.

Thus if you weld on pieces int he middle as well as using longer bolts for the spindles that it could be repairable.

:thumbs:

:whistle:

sorekiwi

I patched up a deck that was worse than that one about 5 years ago, and its only started to deteriorate again recently.

I didnt do anything pretty, just welded patches over the holes, and longer bolts when needed.

I was hoping I'd get another season out of it, and got 5, so I wont be too sad when I have to pitch it!!

jusjeepn

John, I have that exact 42" shell but the p/o tried to use it as a bulldozer. It is buckled in the middle but all the areas you need are intact. If you can use it send me a p/m and I'll shoot you off some pics.

Pat

Sarge

Now, there's a good idea . If you can get patches cut out of another shell that saves a lot of work trying to form/fit new metal . I don't like welding patches on top of bad metal , just accelerates rot that much faster. On the flat areas, it's easy to hold a piece of appropriate thickness patch metal againts the bad area, draw out any necessary holes, ect and mark both pieces . Once cut out, you have a perfectly fitting patch that can be easily welded/smoothed in . Curves are a bit harder, but not impossible. I try not to make any real straight lines, strength comes from irregular shapes and will prevent stress cracks later . Deeply pitted spots have to go , otherwise they are the first to fail .

I'll try to post up more on the writeup in the tractor section by the end of the week .

Sarge

Old Iron

Thanks for all of the imput guys. My father in law was here tonight and he tried to talk me into repairing it. He has built many Hot Rods and nows how to do metal work.

jusjeepn, I sent you a PM about that deck. I am thinking it would be alot easier to replace the whole shell with a better one. Besides the bearings being shot, the rest of the pieces are in surprisingly good shape. I think it was well taken care of, just 42+ years of mowing did her in.