Sarge

Ignition switches

TT

Here's a pictue of my old switch that clearly shows one post grounded to the switch body.

Does your 551 still have the original starter solenoid?

eibbed

Hi Terry,

I've owned the 551 for over a year and have just now started on getting it running. I have no idea if the solenoid it is original or not. :notworthy: I wish I could be more help.

If it helps any, I took this picture and I noticed what appears to be the numbers 3720 written on the top snd 3657 written on the side.

Dave

DSC06524.jpg

Sarge

Thanks for the heads up Sarge. I got the switch today and as far as I can tell, not one of the posts are grounded to it. I'll send it back in the morning. :notworthy:

DSC06518.jpg

I'd check that switch with an ohm meter first, the grounding jumper on newer switches is internal, not external so you may not see it . Just one less thing to corrode....

I've seen some of those solenoids that are activated by grounding, usually the body housing is made of bakelite or something to isolate it from it's mounting bolts. Seems some of the heavy trucks I've worked on in the past had them, maybe it was Freightliner? I swear one of the semi's years ago had a key switch that grounded a wire in the start position.... too many fumes over the years I guess.

Sarge