Sign in to follow this  
Sarge

3-spoke wheel question

Sarge

Ok, on to the 753 and 854 ...

The steering wheels have seen better days, as expected . I have no issue with restoring them , but exactly how much was covered by the black plastic ? Can't really tell by the pic gallery, some seem to go farther towards the center area so I wonder if the whole thing is suppose to be covered ?? If not , was the original steel covered in paint or a type of zinc coating ? Just need a clear idea of what it should look like and I'll do my best to re-create it ...

Sarge

TT

The 753 should have fully-covered spokes and hub with a flat molded plastic cap. (has the horse and wheel emblem and horizontal raised lines)

I think Glen P. from MI might have reproduced the cap - or at least someone has them available.

Here's a not-so-good picture of the wheel on my 633:

633.jpg

Your 854 wheel looks fine, but I can't see it real well in the picture of them on your trailer. It should be the two-spoke hard "plastic" wheel with the raised center cap with the brushed chrome decal and red/black horse/wheel.

Sarge

Wow, this wheel is gonna take a lot of work :thumbs: . I wasn't aware of the center section having a full-cover cap . Ouch...

I'll get some pics of the 854's wheel tomorrow , thought it was suppose to be close the 753's .... guess not . It almost looks the same as the 876's wheel ...

Sarge

TT

I'll get some pics of the 854's wheel tomorrow , thought it was suppose to be close the 753's .... guess not . It almost looks the same as the 876's wheel ...

1964 was the first year for that wheel, and yes - it's the same wheel as an 876, Sarge.

Sarge

Beat me to it again, just looked through the parts drawings and you're right . Sooo... that's a good thing , that wheel is pretty much intact and an easy fix. The 876's is badly faded/weatherchecked from living outside 20+ years ... more than compound can fix anyway .

I'm stoked, the 753 ran way better than expected just need to get the 854 running now .

BTW, weather-guesser is calling for 4-8" of the white stuff Friday/Saturday , lovely.

Sarge