Sign in to follow this  
oak9665

disk plow

oak9665

Is there a manufacturer that makes a garden tractor sized disk plow? or has anyone built or used one on a larger tractor? what are the pros and cons to using one is it possible for a garden tractor to pull one?

Jim_M

There are several manufacturers that make them for garden tractors. Brinly and Agri-Fab are probably the 2 most common.

Most garden tractors will pull one with ease.

If you use a moldboard plow in the fall, a disk will do a great job of making a nice seedbed in the spring after the ground is dry.

oak9665

does brinly make a disk plow or disk harrow? all i could find is disk harrows.

sorekiwi

There's some pictures of moldboard plows, discs, and cultivators in the "implements" section of the photo gallery (check out wheel horse attachments and the other brands section.)

Jim_M

does brinly make a disk plow or disk harrow? all i could find is disk harrows.

They're one in the same, disk harrow is the correct name for what you're looking for. Most people just say Disk for short.

sorekiwi

If you are searching for threads (or on ebay) you could try "disc" as well, seen it spelt both ways (as a "colonial" thats lived in the US for 15 years, my spelling is all messed up and I never know which is correct in which country any more.... :thumbs: )

Jim_M

Mike,

Even the manufacturers spell it both ways. Possibly so it shows up in a search no matter which way you spell it?

Jim

oak9665

No guys disc plow not harrow see video

Rollerman

I was kinda curious if thats what you were after.

I've seen the Farmall Cubs with a disc plow before, but they were mid mounted though...never a tow behind.

As far as garden tractor applications...I've never seen one built from Wheelhorse, Ohio Steel, or Brinly?

Most of the ones I have seen would be to big for a GT.

Sears/David Bradley offered a ton of implements for there lines....maybe do some digging there?

wh500special

I've never seen a disk plow for a garden tractor...

If I may be so bold, WHY are you looking for one? I've always been of the uderstanding that while they don't compact the soil and create a hard-pan they also can't plow as deep. or, are you trying to "hill" something?

Just curious.

Steve

Jim_M

Sorry Oak, I've never seen one of those before. I just assumed you meant disk harrow.

oak9665

Im looking for a more adaptable plow for growing garlic it thrives better in raised beds i have a subsoiler and a somewhat crudely made chisel plow in the works for deep tilling just looking at my options for turning in the sod and being to hill a bed with the same peice of equipment.

Teddy da Bear

I saw a "hill maker" on MTF.....but don't remember the post.

I thought they said that it was made by Sears.

Nick

Ive never seen a disc plow built for a garden tractor and Im not sure they would work very well for true plowing. You might build a 2 disc setup just for hilling after the garden has been worked up. Or the normal hiller attachment would be easy and inexpensive to build also.

The end times Garden tractor gardening report makes a quick mention of using regular discs for hilling. http://www.endtimesreport.com/Tractor-III.html

Something that might also work well after the garden has been worked up could be an old style middle buster. Should be easy to build one and the middle buster shovel could be exchanged for a single shank ripper making it two implements with one hitch assembly. :thumbs:

Teddy da Bear

That was what I was talking about Nick.

KyBlue

You could do it the way this guy does, Which I beleive is also the way that Nick is talking about. Just easier to actually see in a video IMO...

Using a Disc Plow Might not be the best way to go... Just think of all the seat time you'd get doing it this way!