Sign in to follow this  
Brian1045

Spindle/Grease caps

Brian1045

What models were these actually used on? I see them occasionally up for sale and they are usually pricey.

For those who use them, is there any altering you have to do to make them fit?

Capture-1.jpg

CasualObserver

Brian there's a few different kinds. I think the red ones came in two sizes... they shouldn't have to be modified to fit. They were used on pretty much every tractor and trailer as far as I know. Glenn up in Michigan (GlenJeri) is in the final stages of adding these to his reproduction parts availability. Last I heard, he had planned for them to be available sometime early this year. And yes.... the originals bring pretty steep prices. You could try sending him an message or email. Or perhaps he'll see this and chime in. You can see some of his other stock in this thread in the "Restorations and Customizations section".

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/index.php?showtopic=6177

Kelly

I have a set of the prototype's from Glenn, seeing if the material he is using will hold up, they are softer, and the color is way off, but that's to be delt with later, they fit pretty good, I put them on my plow tractor, and I'm not treating them special, I'll post a pic in a bit it's supper time right now.

GlenPettit

This is Glen; on the Red Front WHeel Hub Caps:

Kelly and Bob are my local testers, I just got some new material now and it looks like this is the right material and we have the right color now, will get these out to my evaluators asap.

Because TORO still has the 1.25" smaller hubs available, to respect

Kelly

here's pic's of the center caps, they fit nice, and look good just need to be redder, sorry the pic's are fuzzy, but it's -10deg. with the wind chill

100_1633.jpg

100_1632.jpg

I can't wait to see the next one's Glenn makes some awsome stuff :whistle: , I could never even try to make :thumbs:

Brian1045

Great info everyone...I'll be keeping up to date on these for a purchase. :thumbs:

nylyon

I have the hood ornament, and it is a really nice piece. If the caps are anything like the ornament, I highly recommend getting them!

BPjunk

Keep in mind that the RED spindle grease cap came out in 1968 and before that the white caps were used.

The reason why the caps always got lost is because when grasing the spindles YOU NEED TO TAKE THE CAP OFF. When the grease is applied if too much is put in the grease would push the cap off, another factor is when the grease gets warm it will expspand and push the cap off if the spindle is over greased.

Wild Bill in Richmond, Va.

JimD

thanks bp, i wondered why i found mine in the yard, after i had run them over of course! :thumbs: