Sign in to follow this  
fordsonmajortom

Lawnranger

fordsonmajortom

My Lawnranger with the Tecuseh H60 fitted to it has been giving me trouble ever since I first started it . It would run ok for a while and then start messing about. I have done everything at least twice. Last week I cleaned the carb out again and gave it one last chance. After nearly breaking one of my fingers on the pull start i am now changing the engine for a 5hp Honda which seems to fit nicely under the bonnet without cutting any metal away.

I did persevere with the h60,i will keep it if i ever sell the tractor the h60 can go with it :whistle::whistle:

:thumbs:

Will get some pics when i get it bolted in

Michael :dunno:

kpinnc

Not to worry Michael, you will be the fourth person I know of who has put the Teccy out to pasture from a Lawn Ranger. I am certain there are many more.

My Teccy only ran well for me (since I know NOTHING about those carbs) with a Kohler carb on it. Finding the right mix setup was somewhat interesting, but it cranked every time and ran very well that way.

Some folks swear by Teccy engines, but I think they are keeping some tuning secrets from the rest of us. :thumbs:

Kevin

Michael Bullington

well the first thing I do is evertime is get a tractor with a Tecumseh is trash the carb and buy a new one $68,,,then I do a valve job, points and plug and these things run like a sewing machine :whistle::whistle:

P.S I lost one good carb because I let the tractor sit for 6 months with old fuel in it...I cleaned and cleaned but it was never the same, So it went in the trash too...Now I dont let tractors sit with old fuel! Tecumseh lesson # 1 :thumbs:

Michael

pfrederi

The original H60 on my Father's L-107 that he bought in 1967 lasted 21 years with only a ring job and valve dressing. In 1988 we put on an HH70...not because the 6hp was bad but my Dad was getting older and the HH70 has compression release (Father was way too frugal to spring for electric start :thumbs: He used it every year mowing about 1.5 Acres.

I got it in the mid 90s...and have used it ever since winter and summer. Used it with a snow plow for two years. Motor smokes a bit after you idle and then accelerate. Don't recall ever messing with the carb. (We did put an inline gas filter in back in 1988).

I am not as frugal as my Father and I added electric starting (but no charging).

To this day even in the winter she starts quickly...much more quickly than any of my Kohlers...and you can start her up drop the plow and start plowing immediately. The Kohlers need a couple of minutes before they will push snow...

Have his old Troy-Bilt tiller with an HH60. I shut off the gas and run her till she empties the carb... months later she will start with 2-3 pulls.

I am not knocking Kohlers but my experience with the h and HH Tecumsehs has been nothing but positive

fordsonmajortom

IMAG0021.jpg

Here's a photo of the Lawnranger with the Honda engine in place. The engine was a freebee off a generator that was u/s . A bit of luck the original throttle cable fitted straight on and the fuel tank wont be much of a problem using the original tank and the existing hole in the bonnet :thumbs: .Just got to make a new belt guard to save cutting the original one.That could take some time.

TJ

Honda makes a good motor, and "Free" only makes it better. :thumbs:

kpinnc

Looks great!

Kevin

lt230s

Nice job!!!

Now I know what to use if the Tec in my LR ever goes.

I remember when my father had this same LR that every now & then you had to fiddle with the carb to get it to run right.

WHC-125

Looks nice A+ job on the swap :thumbs:

KyBlue

Looks right @ home in there. Good thing you didnt have to cut the sheet metal.

stevinator

Nice job, good to have that info in case it's ever needed. :thumbs:

sorekiwi

Now I know what to use if the Tec in my LR ever goes.

It's not "if", its "when"...... :thumbs:

fritz

Well looks like I got to do that with my new Lawn ranger. :thumbs: But I have the harbor freinght engine so i dont know if it will fit?? its the 6.5 hp. does any one out there with one of those have any ideas?? i think it is to tall. buut i dont know. we will figure some thing out to do.

devin

sorekiwi

Well looks like I got to do that with my new Lawn ranger. :thumbs: But I have the harbor freinght engine so i dont know if it will fit?? its the 6.5 hp. does any one out there with one of those have any ideas?? i think it is to tall. buut i dont know. we will figure some thing out to do.

devin

Here you go Devin:

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/index.php?...c=7079&hl=honda

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/index.php?showtopic=377&hl=

fritz

Thank you. I saw one of the other threads. But that guys round hood looked alot bigger. Mine is very small I think compared to that one. I think I am just going to be pateint and find a k 181 i dont know tho. but thank you for your help sir.

devin