Sign in to follow this  
Buzz

Dumb trick

Buzz

The weather guesser is calling for a coastal storm so we might actually get some snow here in South Jersey. I've had the plow on for a while but decided I'd better put the chains on. I jacked up the right side and after a couple of minutes of tugging and twisting got one set on. I then jacked up the left side and had no trouble in latching the inside links. I started pulling and tugging on the outer part of the chain to latch it and next thing I knew I was sitting on my butt holding the tire and wheel assembly complete with hub :wtf:. Yep, I pulled the whole thing off the axle

That was a not so subtle reminder to tighten the set screw :whistle:

But wait.....there's more....

The set screw didn't come loose, I loosened it this summer :imstupid: The oil seal has been leaking for awhile so this summer I decided to fix it, only problem was I couldn't get the hub off. Nope. No way. No matter what I did it wouldn't budge. I tried everything but a puller 'cause I was too lazy to look for it. Finally I gave up and decided I'd work on it at a later date. I soaked it good with PB Blaster, even removed the set screw and sprayed some down the hole. Forgot to tighten it back down. :thumbs:

Apparently it worked

kpinnc

I'm so glad that kind of thing doesn't only happen to me... :thumbs:

I know BOTH back wheels will fall off if you drive a tractor with "anti-seize" on the axles and forget the setscrews. Luckily, only one came off at a time. :omg::D

Thanks Buzz! :lol::whistle::D:whistle::dunno::omg:

Kevin

pond195520032003

well at least it did not cause any damage and you never got hurt, unless you need some ice to set on :thumbs:

Sarge

Wish I'd known how well that worked , spent 4hrs trying to remove a pair of hubs last year with a very well made puller to boot ! I hate it when someone doesn't fix things right , especially welding one of the hubs directly to the axle . At least the guy got good penetration ....

Sarge

KyBlue

Well at least nothing is hurt but yer Pride, and it didnt happen while out plowing. Now you can go on and fix the leaking seal, since ya got the hub off already!

daemon2525

I did something similar and unbolted a wheel without knowing that it was loaded with liquid. They are pretty heavy when they fall in your lap.

Old Iron

:whistle: I guess you can fix the leaky seal now. :thumbs:

Buzz

Uhhh... I was trying to get the chains on before I left for work since it was supposed to start snowing before I got home. Once again it'll have to wait.

Snow up date: it's been snowing since before dawn and still no accumulation on the roads or driveways. It was 56 deg. yesterday so nothings sticking so far.

GlenPettit

That is one good way to loosen and get the hub off the rear when it's really stuck, driving around and stopping/starting fast, and WATCHING the wheel for the moment it loosens; using the whole tractor for torque and force. I would think that "figure 8's" would help this loosening (with the set screws loosened first).

Glen

clintonnut

This is a funny topic. That happened while mowing with my suburban. I was driving and i felt a big bump so i figured i hit a groundhog hole. I kept going but then stopped about 50 feet away (going downhill) and i looked back and i saw a wheel laying there!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :whistle::thumbs::whistle:

Charlie

BPjunk

The weather guesser is calling for a coastal storm so we might actually get some snow here in South Jersey. I've had the plow on for a while but decided I'd better put the chains on. I jacked up the right side and after a couple of minutes of tugging and twisting got one set on. I then jacked up the left side and had no trouble in latching the inside links. I started pulling and tugging on the outer part of the chain to latch it and next thing I knew I was sitting on my butt holding the tire and wheel assembly complete with hub :wtf:. Yep, I pulled the whole thing off the axle

That was a not so subtle reminder to tighten the set screw :whistle:

Buzz,

I think you just did not know your own strenth.

Remember ..... "Old Guys Rule" ... because of our power and ability to FORGET to tighten things. :whistle::thumbs:

Wild Bill in Richmond, Va.

Old Iron

Uhhh... I was trying to get the chains on before I left for work since it was supposed to start snowing before I got home. Once again it'll have to wait.

Snow up date: it's been snowing since before dawn and still no accumulation on the roads or driveways. It was 56 deg. yesterday so nothings sticking so far.

Hey Buzz, we got about 4-5 inches here in north Jersey, but only on the snow that was already on the ground. It has only been sticking on the driveway for a couple of hours. Maybe 2 inches....ok, ok, maybe one, but I still needed to plow....ok,ok, maybe I wanted to plow.. :whistle:

My wife said it was 38 degrees today and snowing like a blizzard. :thumbs:

Buzz

My wife said it was 38 degrees today and snowing like a blizzard. :thumbs:

That was weird. It was snowing like crazy and the thermometer read 40 degrees :wtf: It's been sticking for a couple of hours now since the temperature dropped and they already nailed one of our poles. Just sent a crew out. I hate when that happens :whistle: , takes away from my computer time...