Sign in to follow this  
wild17

Hydro issues

wild17

Hi

I recently acquired a GT14 & have had trouble with the hydro.I swapped parts from a c120 hydro (Complete internal parts )into the GT case figureing keep matching parts together.Originally planned to use hole pump out of C120 but the drive gear was smaller.The 120 trans worked fine and compared identical. At first it seemed to work fine.After plowing one storm it seems to be as sluggish as ever.Espicialy backing up.I found the shifter adjustment and leaned it as much towards reverse with out giving up forward movement.Have replaced belt, dextron,trans filter.I have had my 1977 C160 since new & I like the fact that when you let the clutch out it goes no slipage.The parts I took out showed wear on two mateing surfaces.Just wondering should the tractor spin the tires no problem when you get to the snowbank?Also when the hydro is loaded it sounds like a power stearing unit with air in it.Seems like it will be good tractor if I can get this problem worked out.Really appreciate any help. I am really glad to have found this sight.A great source of information.

Mike

ol550

Mike, :thumbs: Can't help on this, but mine seems to have the same ailment.

Maybe two fixed from the same post. :whistle:

Mike

nylyon

:thumbs: It does sound like something is going on with the hydro. The hydro's should easily spin the tires and you shouldn't notice any degradation when it gets warmed up. I have never had one opened up so I have no other suggestions for you except to check to be sure the push / tow valve is properly closed. The whine is probably normal, my hydros whine too.

MaineDad

is the tranny supposed to take 10w30 oil instead like my C-160?

TJ

:thumbs:

Jim_M

is the tranny supposed to take 10w30 oil instead like my C-160?

It depends. If you drain transmission fluid out of it then that's what you should replace it with, and if it had 10W30 then that's what should go back in it.

Some hydros were shipped with 10W30 and some with transmission fluid.