Sign in to follow this  
Red Horse

Non starting 308-8

Red Horse

OK, I've got a few questions for the experts in WH land. My 308-8 wants to crank but won't start. I've checked the plug and fuel and they seem to be fine. No apparent clogs in the line and the plug is good. Fuel is 2 months old so that may be a problem,but last week it started up no problem. Since then I sharpened the blades and did a grease job. Now it won't kick in. Is there a line switch thats grounding it out or ??? Frustrating as crud. If so where are they located? Thanks for any and all input.

TT

Have you actually seen spark at the plug?

Red Horse

No I have not. Thats one of the reasons I thought it might be a grounding problem with an interlock mechanism.

TT

The two interlock/safety switches included in the ignition circuit would be the seat switch and one of the PTO switches, although it might even be a problem in the ignition switch itself.

The M8 Kohlers have a magneto that needs grounded to kill the engine. Try disconnecting the ignition "kill" wire and then see if it will start. (I think it's a dark blue wire)

Rideawaysenior

If I'm not mistaken too, your interlock switches shouldn't prevent the spark, they will prevent the engine from cranking at all. I would go to your local Napa shop if you don't alread have one and pick up an inline spark tester.

TT

Jack, the two interlock switches for the starter circuit are the "clutch" switch behind the drive belt tensioner arm, and the second switch on the PTO engagement lever.

If the other two switches are malfunctioning, it will kill the ignition as if the PTO is engaged and the operator leaves the seat.

Since the magneto on a Magnum requires a ground to kill the spark, I'd also recommend looking for a wire that may have rubbed through and is shorted against metal.

Rideawaysenior

TT,

Thanks, now I am in the know. I didn't think outside the box on this one. :thumbs:

b-80boz

Hey everyone I`ve been reading this forum for a while so I finally registerd .I have been into wheel horses for about 2 yrs. I have a 1975 b-80 4 speed a 1976b-80 8 speed also I`m restoring a 1982 c-175 auto. this has been a huge help just reading everyones posts. I had a similar problem with the c-175 and it turned out to be the wire came off at the points. You may have to reset your points. :thumbs:

TT

:whistle: and thanks for posting, but you might want to continue reading for a while yet. :thumbs::whistle: Kohler M8 Magnum engines don't have points.

Red Horse

Thanks to all the contributors to the question I had. Here's an update .. I checked for a disconnected switch and sure enough the PTO switch was missing a terminal connection, Great. I cleaned it up and reconnected. Then I cleaned up the starter switch connections and screwed everything back together. It started up but ran weak and soon died out . Now nothing... back to squarte one. :thumbs: Any ideas now guys???

TT

Is it completely dead, or does the starter still turn the engine over like it should?

If it still turns over, pull the spark plug out and ground it to something metal on the engine. Turn the engine over and see if you have spark.

If you don't have spark, disconnect (cut it if you have to) the dark blue wire coming from the magneto ground to the ignition switch "M" terminal. If there is a problem in the safety interlock switches, this will bypass them.

If it won't start with the "kill" wire disconnected, then you will need a new ignition coil.

Be forewarned ~ if it starts with the kill wire disconnected, you won't be able to shut it off with the key. You will either need to ground the kill wire or pull the spark plug wire off to stop the engine. (use well-insulated pliers)

Red Horse

Again, Thanks to all the guys who chimed in with their ideas. It seems that the problem was in the ignition module. Put on a new one ,some fresh gas and magic! I t came to life. I forget that this machine is abou t 23 years old and electronics should be allowed to give up after putting in that length of service. Only problem I have was that it wasn't in MY service. LOL. Anyway she's ready to start mowing again. (Sorry to all the guys with plows and blowers.) I prefer dealing with grass over snow. For those of you who love chains, weights and plows , enjoy yourself Phil says its six more weeks of Winter. :thumbs: