Sign in to follow this  
williambogner

k301, Automatic 12 Wheel horse

williambogner

Hey guys. On my auto 12 when i go to start it and im turning it over...it squeels loud. It almost feels like the starter is grinding up on some gears. Im not sure what it is but does anyone have an ideas what it is. Its a Kohler 301 engine. Its weird because sometimes it squeels and sometimes it doesnt like if you put the choke up or down it varies. While running it doesnt make the noise or anything so I dont have a clue but any ideas would be great. Thanks William

TT

It sounds like the nose bushing in the starter is dry.

jusjeepn

Sounds to me like it's time for a new starter!

williambogner

thats what i figured. Does anyone have any kicking around that i could but off them that would fit my engine?? Thanks for the help guys

TT

Can you take yours to an alternator/starter repair shop? Depending on how bad it is, it sometimes only costs $20 or $30 to have them freshened up. There are also several aftermarket starters available to fit the K series Kohlers and they run anywhere from $50 to $80 - depending on where you get them. (A genuine Kohler starter is around $130 - $150. )

williambogner

to be honest i wouldnt have a clue where to bring it to get it freshened up. To be honest i dont think its that bad but its just really annoying when starting it and people dont look at that as a good thing so...I kinda want to buy one used or new off someone. Not looking to spend over 100$

WHC-125

William,

Did you buy that one on craigslist?

williambogner

Yea i picked it up in haddam. It may have been a little pricey but I liked the tractor overall and it came with a 42in plow and deck so...itll be a fun resoration first time project i think. Thanks William

stevebo

william, spray the starter shaft with wd-40 first before doing anything else like changing or rebuilding the starter. Sounds like the shaft just needs to be lub'd up. No need to take off to do this.

TT

:whistle: :whistle::dunno:

Didn't I just say that about 7 posts ago?

By the way - is this the one with Tony's old plow that he traded for the snowblower that he's selling now? :thumbs:

williambogner

No i dont think so...

williambogner

Okkk i tried spraying some wd 40 where the starter shaft goes into the engine itself and it still squeeled. Im just going to go ahead with replacing it...Ill ask one more time, does anyone have a starter motor that will fit on my engine. Thanks William

Teddy da Bear

I remember buying a rebuild kit for the starter on my B-80.

Are they still available?

Sparky

I would be careful about spraying anything liquid on your starter as it will be easier for sand and grit/dust to collect or stick in it. I would use some grafite powder if it was mine.

Mike.......

Docwheelhorse

I Don't know if these starters have a rubber "clutch" like the outboard engines do... but if you spray enough WD40 on them they will stop squeeling.... They will also stop turning the engine over when the rubber just slips to death :thumbs:

Chips Auto Electric Inc, 121 Park Ave, East Hartford, CT. Tel: 860-528-4107

Try this guy---he is old school and has rebuilt several of my generator starters and regular K/Magnum starters. His prices and service is very good. My Father/Uncle and most of my family has been dealing with him and his family for over 40 years....

Tony

P.S.--I think that is the plow that I traded the blower for. It is now within 5 miles or less of my house again :whistle:

williambogner

Alrite sounds good. I was going to call Bernies or Chips but Chips sounds better now. Mike, I didnt spray a lot at all on the shaft so im not too worried about a problem but thanks for pointing that out. Ill just have to bring it to a rebuild place and if that doesnt work ill just replace it. Thanks for the help!

William

WHC-125

That is the plow that was traded for the snowblower :thumbs:

whchris

i like jim wood in taftville ct i can get his number for you if your intrested ( you can drop the starter off at kahn tractor and have him pick it up from there if you dont want to drive to taftville)