Sign in to follow this  
hifiwasabi

B-81 followed me home...

hifiwasabi

I was at a buddy's place last night having a few beers and happened to mention my L-108 rebuild when he mentioned he had another tractor and that I should get it along with a compressor and a '53 flathead Ford. I reluctantly passed on the compressor and flathead but went for a little drive to have a look at the Horse. It was hiding under 3 feet of snow but low and behold there was a complete B-81 with deck. I was a little concerned when I saw the Briggs and Stratton diamond on the engine, but I figured, what the hell. $150 and a battery later it ALMOST runs.I'll be putting a new plug wire and possibly cleaning the carb tomorrow morning. Any known trouble spots to know about?

Sean

100_0863.jpg

100_0865.jpg

100_0869.jpg

100_0884.jpg

100_0880.jpg

TJ

Looks like it's happy to be in out of the cold.

hifiwasabi

It sure is! Theres no heat in the garage so we got the little propane spot heater. Made short work of the snow alright.

Teddy da Bear

Good job saving the horse.

Are those the correct tires?

Those rears look kinda small....

oldandred

Great save good to get the old ones out of the cold

so what is a L- 108 ?

Sugarmaker

HIFi,

This looks a lot like the A-100 I am working on. Most of the same sheet metal and similar tires. I added a new battery, and some other tinkering and I think it will be a nice unit for the grandson. Not a puller just a nice little ride.

Ours has lights and they seem to work as long as you rev up the old girl!:thumbs:

I have the rear rims in the basement in primer right now, getting them ready for the new rubber.

Chris

hifiwasabi

An L-108 would be my '68 Lawn Ranger (unless I've been improperly informed which would seem likely).

As for the B-81, I'm not entirely sure whether the rears are original or correct, they do have some minor cracking so I would assume they could very well be. The fronts however are brand spankin' new, along with the seat. I'm not planning on making a puller out of this unit either, just a clean workhorse. The deck is pretty trashed so I'd like to get a blade instead and do some grading! The sheetmetal looks sharp to me and I'm not going to bother with paint, just run it. Good luck with your A-100, I'm just looking forward to actually having a tractor that runs!

Sean

CasualObserver

An L-108 would be my '68 Lawn Ranger (unless I've been improperly informed which would seem likely).

Yep, misinformed, unfortunately. There is no L-108 or L-158. 1968 was the year that Wheel Horse changed over to the x-xxxx model numbering. Your Lawn Ranger should have a metal serial number tag on the left side of the dash tower with either a 1-1631 or a 1-2631 on it. 1-1631 was a recoil start tractor and 1-2631 was an electric start. Look closely for the tag, it could have easily been painted over.

hifiwasabi

Well, that being the case, its a 1-1361.