rjg854

oil leak

rjg854

I just got done installing a rebuilt engine in my 854. Everything is working great, idles and throttles up nice. I just noticed oil coming from behind the govenuer disc where it comes thru the block. This is a 8hp K181s engine. How do I go about stopping the leak, there's really no gasket or anything. Or is there something else I'm missing? 

rmaynard

I have found that when oil comes from places that it's not supposed to come from, it's a problem with the crankcase breather. Check to make sure that the breather was assembled and installed properly.

Edited by rmaynard
  • Like 5

BOB ELLISON

Rmaynard said post is what I would check first. But you could check this post out also. I would go to main page and do a search for oil leak at govenor. 

This is one post I found

rjg854

Thanks, I've got a spot to start. I'll check that tomorrow. 

rjg854
19 hours ago, rmaynard said:

I have found that when oil comes from places that it's not supposed to come from, it's a problem with the crankcase breather. Check to make sure that the breather was assembled and installed properly.

BINGO You were spot on with your post and thanks that saves me a lot of :confusion-scratchheadblue:.  The rebuilder installed that inner plate backwards.  He had the gaskets well permatexed in.  So I wound up having to make a run and get some gasket material and make my own gaskets.  Cause believe it or not they don't stock them at Napa :ychain:  Ran the engine  for a while, and no oil coming from behind the throttle disc now :happy-jumpeveryone:  I think I have all the bugs worked out now, or at least I hope so.   I bought the engine on ebay for a couple hundred from a guy who rebuilt it for someone else that never came to pick it up when he was done with it.  All he wanted for the engine was what he had into it for parts.  I think I made out pretty good, time will tell.  I hope to have a good running 854 for many years to come.

Thanks again, Robert and Bob!

• Like 4

squonk

I think I have a set of those gaskets in stock Randy. You never know when a leaking Kohler will cruise by on Rt. 96! :):banana-wrench:

• Like 1

rmaynard

Thanks for letting us know that you solved the problem. 

• Like 3

rjg854

I didn't solve the problem, you did. I just used the advice you presented and fixed it..

5 hours ago, squonk said:

I think I have a set of those gaskets in stock Randy. You never know when a leaking Kohler will cruise by on Rt. 96! :):banana-wrench:

Sure now you tell me :ychain:

tunahead72
9 hours ago, rjg854 said:

... The rebuilder installed that inner plate backwards.  He had the gaskets well permatexed in.  So I wound up having to make a run and get some gasket material and make my own gaskets.  Cause believe it or not they don't stock them at Napa :ychain:  Ran the engine  for a while, and no oil coming from behind the throttle disc now :happy-jumpeveryone:  I think I have all the bugs worked out now, or at least I hope so ...

What is it with these guys ("professionals") who can't figure out how to properly install a breather assembly?  I had the K241 on my 310-8 rebuilt several years ago, and noticed a couple of leaks shortly after that.  It turned out my guy had totally screwed up the breather assembly, but with the help of some knowledgeable folks on this forum I was able to fix it myself.

I'm glad you were able to get your problem straightened out. :thumbs:

• Like 4

rmaynard

5 hours ago, tunahead72 said:

What is it with these guys ("professionals") who can't figure out how to properly install a breather assembly?

These so-called "professionals" must not even look at the manual. If they did they would see the diagram of how the breather is assembled. And even if they didn't refer to the manual, just plain common sense should tell them that they were assembling it wrong. I've seen a lot of problems come out of "professional" repair shops. :confusion-confused:

• Like 1

tunahead72

Agreed, although I'm not sure common sense would necessarily point them in the right direction.  I know it's not the "manly" thing to do, but as one of the motorcycle forums I follow says...  When in doubt, RTFM!

• Like 1

pfrederi

The 1075 I am working on was a victim of RTV on the breather assembly to include plugging up the weep hole on the bottom.  Put down the RTV and step away from the Horse!!!

• Like 4

squonk

I made a $50 tip and dinner from the boss because of "Too much RTV" once. :banana-dance: