Sign in to follow this  
ronscat

Lost Nuts

ronscat

Lug :thumbs: Nuts that is . I think I mentioned on here before that I let my 10 year old grandson "work" on his own tractor (a Sears custom 8) while I was working on my Wheelhorse. His was more involved work including taking the old Briggs off, then rear fenders, stripping paint, sanding everything he could, spraypainting after he put on a coat of primer. Installing new seat, new 6.5 Harbor Freight engine and we put him some new tires on the rear that I bought at a farm equipment auuction. I let him do most all the work including mounting front and rear tires. He had the rear tires turned backwards and I had him rotate them, but Grandaddy forgot to check both wheels to see if they were tightened down good.

Today he and his little buddy were each riding a Sears, and while Granddaddy was getting a little shuteye one of the rear tires lost two lug nuts (3 total on that tractor) and came close to throwing my grandson off. I forgot to tell you none of my tractors run a stock pulley. Our little Sears clock on at about 12 or 13 mph each and I'm sure that was the speed they were running.

I'm sad the near accident was because Grandaddy didn't do a full inspection on the tractor but I bet you I check all our tractor tires before we ride them again. Grandmother just took the kids home so when she gets back you know she will give me some ideas about being more careful.

Sarge

Sounds like Grandpa's pit service is gonna fall victim of the Safety Steward! Glad no one was hurt-probably a good lesson for the kids too. 3 bolt wheels don't lock as well-I'd use some locktite if they are going to see speed. :thumbs: