Elkskin's mower junkyard

done some work to dads 502 and 753 today.

Elkskin's mower junkyard

This past saterday i brought home a 702 parts machine. well it had some problems so i am in process of taking it apart. so today i got a little bored. i pulled 502 out and the 753. I pulled tank off 502 and it ended up on the 753 since the 753 tank leaks and i dont want to go through hassel of fixing the gasket. Now on the 502 I replaced the tower support arms and the steering support thing the one dad bought from toro was too thick and put the 702 gas tank steering wheel on it. sooo now its got everything where its supposed to be. but one question how many 1962 tractors here on redsquare have the adjuster for lift arm. something tells me it was put on by someone.

0525171622-00.jpg

0525171644-00.jpg

0525171829-00.jpg

0525171829-01.jpg

0525171829-02.jpg

0525171835-00.jpg

0525171922-00.jpg

• Like 7

Racinbob

I believe 63 was the first year for that. I've always maintained that after 50+ years and so much part swapping it's nearly impossible to know for sure what was factory original. Wheel Horse created enough oddities themselves but I'm betting the early years owners also created many and Wheel Horse was 'blamed' for it. You just put a 62 tank on a 63. Nothing wrong with that and I like it but somewhere down the road It could be said that Wheel horse was using up the 62 parts on 63's. I think the best way to say something is original is by looking at the original parts list. If something is different then Wheel Horse may have been up to their tricks or one of the owners over the years........:)

• Like 4

RedRanger

Don't think the 62's had the adjuster as Bob said.  Mine doesn't.

I even bought an adjustable lift mechanism to swap mine out and the mount holes didn't match up.  So I left the original non-adjustable on.

Based on the square bolts on yours, I'd say someone swapped them out.  Doesn't look factory to me.

• Like 3

Elkskin's mower junkyard

yea what i was thinking. dad likes it with the adjustable height so leaving it alone. however we did have a parts failure. yesterday we needed a bowl gasket for sedimate bowl. so we made one out of a innertube lol. well it worked until today .so i called up repair shop and asked taryl dactal is he had one. he said yes. so i bought 2. they are briggs gaskets but hey no more leaks. have one for the 754 too lol.

0526171251-00.jpg

• Like 2

Chris G

I've had several 702's and never had the adjustable lift. Had one that some one made from steel and notched it but that's it. I no they get replaced with newer  style prettyoften. Cause the tab breaks off like the one in photo. Second photo is what it should be.

Screenshot_2017-05-26-20-59-45.png

Screenshot_2017-05-26-21-00-10.png

• Like 4

Elkskin's mower junkyard
1 hour ago, Chris G said:

I've had several 702's and never had the adjustable lift. Had one that some one made from steel and notched it but that's it. I no they get replaced with newer  style prettyoften. Cause the tab breaks off like the one in photo. Second photo is what it should be.

Screenshot_2017-05-26-20-59-45.png

Screenshot_2017-05-26-21-00-10.png

dads 502 was really only 62 we have had except the 702 parts machine i brought home

• Like 1

Chris G

Hey  ya can't go wrong with a good parts machine. The one in the pic with broken shift stop was a parts machine I snagged up earlier  this month.

• Like 1

Elkskin's mower junkyard
32 minutes ago, Chris G said:

Hey  ya can't go wrong with a good parts machine. The one in the pic with broken shift stop was a parts machine I snagged up earlier  this month.

yup. my dads 502 needed alot of parts lol

• Like 2