Sign in to follow this  
haeffnkr

The saga continues - success finally

haeffnkr

I got the chains at the farm store...

Got started on the installation at 8 pm.

First tire ready...went pretty easy with a floor jack and a brick

Pretty new chains ---- shame to scuff them up aint it?

3236941510_e131eecb13.jpg

Ready for the virgin run ...man I hope this works !!!

3236024139_d1d8034f48.jpg

After 2.5 hours....

My driveway was done, the street was done, the sidewalks and both neighbors are snow free !

3236863754_90438147fc.jpg

Another one....looking back at the tractor in the garage.

3236017141_87e9a5d370.jpg

Final Pic of the tractor -

3236857048_93227f3f4d.jpg

Over all -

The tractor needs some more weight...duh....but I was moving some very frozen hard packed stuff.

I had to ram the 4 foot piles several times to break them loose before they moved so I could add more to them.

I guess these transmissions can hold up to the constant forward / reverse they get with this kind of punishment?

This was the first time I ever used a WH hydro and it performed GREAT !! (I did discover an electrical problem though....another thread coming...)

I hope the tractor did not lose any life cause the throttle was wide open and I was flying back and forth with little to no hesitation...

thanks for looking and all the help thus far.

Kevin

T-Mo

Kevin,

Looks good. So, in your area of St. Louis, did you get all snow this time around? I got mostly sleet down here to your south, about 5 inches with about 3 inches of snow on top of that.

I did have a pair of cement filled, plastic JD wheel weights, but I gave them away already. :thumbs:

KyBlue

Looks great! Bet your neighbors love ya!

What size Chains did you end up getting?

WHC-125

Money well spent :thumbs:

And as long as you had fun on your horse thats all that counts :horseplay:

Teddy da Bear

Great pictures....

Always enjoy night time pictures.

I fixed my blower (welded the tunnel on both ends)

fixed the cable on the chute. Final pass and the

cable came off again! :thumbs:

Sparky

I hope the tractor did not lose any life cause the throttle was wide open and I was flying back and forth with little to no hesitation...

thanks for looking and all the help thus far.

Kevin

Actually you are supposed to run hydro's wide open so you did good :thumbs: . Half throttle would of taken some life off it.

Mike..........

Kelly

I'm sure you chain's came with directions, how did they say to install them?? anything about letting the air out of the tire?? and blowing them back up for a snug fit?? That's how I do mine.

BPjunk

Kevin,

Keep in mind that hydros need regular service of tighting the axle hub set screws ...exspecialy after snow plowing. :thumbs:

Wild Bill in Richmond, Va.

TT

They ALL need periodic checking/tightening of the hub setscrews, and if you're doing bulldozer imitations :thumbs: , make sure you regularly check the transaxle mounting plate at the rear of the frame for cracks. It never hurts to check the four transaxle mounting bolts while you're under there either.

WHC-125

Bill,

My C-175 I had to get tightened after every couple uses :thumbs:

stevebo

yeah chris,now you tell me. just before i had a guy coming to buy it i looked under it and the oil was dripping out of the axle seal because the hub loosened up when i ran it sideways on the back hill and it pushed into the axle just enough to scuff the seal and cause it to leak. i have to watch what i buy from you... don't worry, i won't tell you about all the problems on the next tractor i sell you... :thumbs:

haeffnkr

Tmo - yes we got about 1.5 inches on Tuesday morning and about 5-6 Tuesday night.

4star - I got Laclede brand chains - the bag said 23x8.50x12 so I guess that is the size I got, I hope they fit if I ever go up to 10.5 tires.`

But I am not sure now if that is a good idea.

Seems like everyone says skinnier is better and flat lawn tires with chains are better than bigger ag tires, even if ag tires are cooler.

So now I dont know what I will do long term.

I had my heart on some deestone ag tires.

WHC -125 yes it was - 70 plus the 10 for 8 tarp straps

Kelly - no instructions - I got a bag of chains in a white cloth bag for China and that was all.

I did not lower or raise the tire pressure - jacked it up laid them on the tire, turned the tire hooked both sides together tight as I could and put 2 straps on the outside and inside of each tire.

It was truly the first "5 minute job" that actually went as planned in a very long time with out cussing, breaking something, going back to the store or going to borrow something.

Bill, sparky TT - thanks for the tips as always! I did have a bum hub on this tractor already that wobbles on the axle with the screw tightned so I will check it again.

I WAS doing my best bulldozer imitation last night.

I hope this tractor will last another 30 years.

And now...I DO have spin marks on my driveway from those darn chains!!

thanks again Kevin

WHC-125

That never happened to me :whistle: I always tightened it and it was fine :whistle:

Were you maybe having a little too much fun with her :thumbs:

WHC-125

Kevin,

My driveway was repaved about 2 years ago so I have to be easy and not let the tires spin or my mom would have a fit :thumbs:

WheelHorse_of_course

Before heading out last night I decided I would need to put the chains on the Charger 12 (up to this point I had been able to get by without them).

I have had mixed luck in the past getting them tight, so I used the same technique as Kevin - jacked it up.

I was able to get them much tighter than usual this way.

I did consider the deflation inflation trick, but this was easier. :banana:

Now if I can just get the blower to cooperate again... :thumbs:

pfrederi

Putting chains on here is an all day project :thumbs:

L-107, Charger 12 (front and rear), C-81, 418A...Case DC Tractor (38" wheels talk about heavy chains!!!), M37 front and rear

C175 is getting the winter off so I didn't put hers on this year :whistle: