Sign in to follow this  
eibbed

23X10.5X12 tires on my 702

Kelly

As TT said it's figure of speech, knocking the centers out, I used a set of big zero turn wheels as they were 10" wide and the price was right, here's is pic's of the set I did,

This is the shell after grinding the welds and taking the center out, side note the valve stem was on the front, I installed them on the back, as I plan to run weights on these wheels.

100_1619.jpg

this is the loose center

100_1618.jpg

I sand blasted the rims after taking them apart, this is after installing the center taking care to get it square, so it does not wobble to bad, I placed a straight edge acrost the rim, and measured down to the center at mutiple points, mainly where the bolts go, and put small tack welds, so not to pull the center as I was welding

100_1620.jpg

welds from the front

100_1617.jpg

welds from the back, I placed the centers right on the back edge, note valve stem hole is on the back now, disregaurd, that I didn't get it centered in the webing, not that it makes a diff. but it bugs me.

100_1616.jpg

now I have a set of 10" rims for $40 and some time and paint, no pic's of them painted.

eibbed

On second thought, rather than bother my son-in-law, I may shop around and see what spacers would cost me and go that route. Like John said "that could be much more weight added to the back". The chrome lugs would look real nice too.

John, I'm starting my shopping around with you. I sent you a PM.

Dave

eibbed

Things may be looking even better!

I purchased two 308-8s today. One to restore and the other for parts. The transmissions are eight speed with two screw five lug hubs that measure 22 1/2" face to face. I think that the extra two inches will have the hubs far enough apart to accomodate both my rims and the rear attachmatic. The hubs on my four speed 702 are 20 1/2" face to face.

Now for the big question. Can I switch them? I am hoping for a yes.

Did I mention that my 702 is my rat rod under construction.

Thanks,

Dave

308-8.jpg

308-8-3.jpg

308-8-2.jpg

308-8-1.jpg

kpinnc

Yes, you should be able to just swap the axles, differential and all. The 308-8 used 1 inch axles, and a 4 pinion diff, almost exactly the same as on your 702.

Kevin

eibbed

Thanks Kevin,

That's great news!

Dave