Ed Kennell

312 H starter problem

Ed Kennell

The starter on my 312 H was having trouble cranking the engine, so, after checking and cleaning all the connections and jumping 12V directly to the started with no improvement, I decided to take the starter off.

Now I have another reason to dislike the  Kohler Ms.  Had to remove the oil pipe and getting the 3 screws out was a challenge.  I guess having the front plate of the starter part of the engine plate ensures good alignment of the teeth. 

Anyway, here is what I found.   The brush holder was broken in 4 pieces and one of the + brushes was not making contact at all.   Amazing, it still was able to start on the one brush.

So, I need to do some research to see if this part is available.   If anyone has the starter number or this part number and supplier, it could save me some research time.

Thanks for any help.    The engine is a  M12S    471527     s/n  2011709663.

IMG_7346.thumb.JPG.34248260170557110d85e72683e8a13f.JPGIMG_7347.thumb.JPG.3266e510126ee949afff93707990c20a.JPG

rmaynard

Kohler 52 227 03 is the part number for the entire kit. Includes that part, end cap and new brushes. However it is discontinued. Might still be a few out there though. I would be inclined to purchase a new aftermarket starter for about $50.00 on eBay. Just search M12 starter.

Edited by rmaynard
  • Like 4

squonk

I agree with Bob. I know lots of guys like to "fix" things, but for around $50 you can't go wrong. If you ever run across the parts needed for the original, you could fix it later and have a spare.

• Like 5

Ed Kennell

You are right again Bob.   Just ordered a new starter for $47.95 w/ free shipping and one year warranty.      Found a brush kit ( 4 brushes and 4 springs for $40)  No brush holder.

Makes scents to me Mike....I never throw anything away.

Maybe I'll challenge my Grandson to make a new  brush holder on his 3D printer.

Edited by Ed Kennell
  • Like 3